SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Development and Customizations > SageTV Github Development
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Github Development Discussion related to SageTV Open Source Development. Use this forum for development topics about the Open Source versions of SageTV, hosted on Github.

Old 11-16-2016, 09:36 AM
Sage Advanced User

Hey guys thanks for your help with this, I think it's fixed. I was using a bad remote code which I found out after checking syslog. It clearly said this remote can not be used for transmitting. After I picked a different remote and updated the 'TRANSMITTER_LIRCD_CONF=' section of my hardware.conf file pointing to the new remote file, my transmitter began to respond. Although channel changes are not accurate which I expect as I am using a generic remote for testing but at least I am now on the right path
Old 12-22-2016, 08:11 PM
Sage Advanced User

So, I am working through this setup of the USB-UIRT on linux and have hit a road block. I have LIRC running and responging to irsend commands. I have copied the GenericTunerPlugin.so to the irtunerplugins folder but when I open SageTV and try to add my new HD-PVR, I do not get the Generic Tuner option in the configuration screens. Still only has the three tuner options it had before from version 9.011. It is also unclear to me where exactly I place my gentuner.lirc file.

Also I am hopeful I have the correct GenericTunerPlugin.so as it did not seem to be available from the SageTV Downloads page and I found it elsewhere... Sorry for being an extreme Linux Newb......
Old 12-22-2016, 08:48 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by phantomii View Post
So, I am working through this setup of the USB-UIRT on linux and have hit a road block. I have LIRC running and responging to irsend commands. I have copied the GenericTunerPlugin.so to the irtunerplugins folder but when I open SageTV and try to add my new HD-PVR, I do not get the Generic Tuner option in the configuration screens. Still only has the three tuner options it had before from version 9.011. It is also unclear to me where exactly I place my gentuner.lirc file.

Also I am hopeful I have the correct GenericTunerPlugin.so as it did not seem to be available from the SageTV Downloads page and I found it elsewhere... Sorry for being an extreme Linux Newb......
Did you read the "Install the Plugin" section on the README?

https://github.com/stuckless/GenericTunerPlugin
Old 12-22-2016, 10:07 PM
Sage Advanced User

So I did read it and had already placed the gentuner.lirc in the /opt/sagetv/server/gentuner folder which seemed correct (if I understood) but none of the tests like "gentuner.lirc REMOTES" seem to work and they return a "command not found". Also created a gentuner.local and placed it in the same folder but that did not work. When loading the tuner in sagetv it still does not give me the Generic tuner option so I cannot finish the HD-PVR install??? Sorry if I am just stupid or maybe over my head?
Old 12-22-2016, 11:04 PM
SageTVaholic

I may be wrong, but I don't think you put the file in a folder called /opt/sagetv/server/gentuner/, I think you rename the file to be called gentuner (no extension), and place that in the /opt/sagetv/server/ folder.

unRAID Server: i7-6700, 32GB RAM, Dual 128GB SSD cache and 13TB pool, with SageTVv9, openDCT, Logitech Media Server and Plex Media Server each in Dockers.
Sources: HRHR Prime with Charter CableCard. HDHR-US for OTA.
Primary Client: HD-300 through XBoxOne in Living Room, Samsung HLT-6189S
Other Clients: Mi Box in Master Bedroom, HD-200 in kids room
Old 12-23-2016, 05:24 AM
Sage Advanced User

I had actually tried that as well and that did not work either.....
Old 12-23-2016, 05:27 AM
SageTVaholic

well, if the gentuner script is returning an error, then you'd need to find out the cause of that before it will work from sage.

Post up the gentuner script you are trying to use, and what error saying when called, and hopefully we can see what's causing the problem.

unRAID Server: i7-6700, 32GB RAM, Dual 128GB SSD cache and 13TB pool, with SageTVv9, openDCT, Logitech Media Server and Plex Media Server each in Dockers.
Old 12-23-2016, 05:42 AM
Sage Advanced User

I actually copied your script from the top of this thread. In fact I used all three you posted and I am able to get the irsend stuff working fine from the command line. Do you have a direct link to the GenericTunerPlugin.so? I tried to click on the download link in the forums here and received an error so I got it elsewhere and am thinking it might be old? The other thing I don't understand is why the tuner does not show up in the options? Seems to me just putting it in the folder with the existing tuner plugins should make it visible at the least?

Last edited by phantomii; 12-23-2016 at 05:48 AM.
Old 12-23-2016, 05:54 AM
SageTVaholic

I'm using whatever .so that is coming with the docker image, which appears to be coming from here:
Code:
https://bintray.com/artifact/download/opensagetv/sagetv-plugins/GenericTunerPluginLinux/gentuner-1.0.1.tgz
And I don't think it will show up in the selections in sage unless it can get a proper response from gentuner REMOTES, as those returned items are what are added to the selection in sage.

Last edited by Fuzzy; 12-23-2016 at 06:01 AM.
Old 12-23-2016, 06:37 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
I actually copied your script from the top of this thread. In fact I used all three you posted and I am able to get the irsend stuff working fine from the command line. Do you have a direct link to the GenericTunerPlugin.so? I tried to click on the download link in the forums here and received an error so I got it elsewhere and am thinking it might be old? The other thing I don't understand is why the tuner does not show up in the options? Seems to me just putting it in the folder with the existing tuner plugins should make it visible at the least?
Setting up a linux install... with IR blasting is not for a the faint of heart... That's why the Docker/unRAID image exists... it makes it easier... but still, if you have limited linux experience, then getting this working may be a challenge

So, I guess to start, are you using unRAID? or the Docker image? Or have you set this up from scratch?

The installation section for gentuner does say exactly where files should go, But, in linux, if you are editing this files using Windows, then you'll have to save them in "unix" format, and it's these types of things that can trip people up. (The unRAID/Docker image mitigates this, somewhat).

And before you even get to testing with sagetv, you need to make sure that the script is working and communicating (covered in the gentuner guide as well).

This is formatted much nicer on the Gentuner link I provided
Quote:
Install the plugin

IMPORTANT NOTE: After shutting down the SageTV process, always create a backup copy of your Sage.properties file before making any changes! If you make any changes to Sage.properties that break your setup, you can always revert to the backup copy.

Put the plugin in the right location

cp GenericTunerPlugin.so /opt/sagetv/server/irtunerplugins/
Examine the sample gentuner.* scripts to see which one most closely fits in with your tuning needs, and make a copy. For example:

cp gentuner.LIRC gentuner.LOCAL
Modify gentuner.LOCAL as needed for your environment and/or tuning needs.

Test your version of gentuner with your setup directly from the command line to make sure it's tuning the devices as expected before trying it with Sage. You could try things like:

gentuner.LOCAL REMOTES
or

gentuner.LOCAL KEYS REMOTE_NAME_HERE
or

gentuner.LOCAL CAN_TUNE REMOTE_NAME_HERE
or

gentuner.LOCAL SEND REMOTE_NAME_HERE 1
gentuner.LOCAL SEND REMOTE_NAME_HERE 2
gentuner.LOCAL SEND REMOTE_NAME_HERE 3
gentuner.LOCAL SEND REMOTE_NAME_HERE OK
or

gentuner.LOCAL TUNE REMOTE_NAME_HERE 123
etc.

Copy your version of gentuner to where the plugin expects it. Note that currently the Generic Tuner Plugin has the path to gentuner hardcoded to /opt/sagetv/server/gentuner. You can create a symlink or recompile if you need to put the plugin elsewhere.

cp gentuner.LOCAL /opt/sagetv/server/gentuner
Configure each video source to use the Generic Tuner Plugin. Unfortunately, SageTV does not provide any way to change the tuning plugin for a video souce after the source is initially configured. You must remove and readd the video source, selecting "Generic Tuner" when asked to select a tuning plugin. Note that removing and re-adding the video source will likely involve other work to get the configuration back to where you had it.

Stop and start SageTV
In SageTV, go to the Setup -> Setup Video Sources menu, select the video source that uses the Generic Tuner, click on "Tuner Control", then "Change Tuning Device". You should see the list of the remotes your gentuner script reports. Select it.
Note: Currently debugging is enabled and lots of stuff will get logged to /opt/sagetv/server/gentuner.log. You can disable that in the source if desired. An option may be added later.
So, basically, you'll want to make sure the command line is working and that issuing the "REMOTES" command lists some remotes, etc, before trying to get sagetv to see anything... since sagetv is only going to see the output of those commands, and if they don't work, then sagetv won't work.
Old 12-23-2016, 06:43 AM
Sage Advanced User

Thanks so much for the assistance and patience. I am muddling thruogh this and learning Ubuntu from scratch. I will try this file and some other things based on your comments when I get back from getting my car looked at.
Old 12-23-2016, 08:19 AM
Sage Advanced User

Another step closer. The file you pointed me to enabled the Generic Tuner option in the SageTV Setup so the earlier one I had must have been bad. Since I could select a tuner I can comfirm that the viedo now plays. However the USB-UIRT still does not tune from SageTV though if I have Sage running in preview mode I can force a channel change with irsend. I will poke around a bit more and see if I can get this last (hopefully last) step figured out! Thanks so much!
Old 12-23-2016, 11:29 AM
Sage Aficionado

Does the Linux version of SageTV support the USB-UIRT directly (without plug-ins) like the Windows version does? If so, I can offer you my .ir files for controlling two QIP-7100's that way - my setup is solid and never misses channel changes plus turns on a STB if it's off. (I also have the STBs plugged into an UPS). I have implemented the MENU-EXIT double IR code prefix technique discussed elsewhere in the forums. https://forums.sagetv.com/forums/showthread.php?t=58210
Old 12-23-2016, 12:02 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuckless View Post
And before you even get to testing with sagetv, you need to make sure that the script is working and communicating (covered in the gentuner guide as well).

So, basically, you'll want to make sure the command line is working and that issuing the "REMOTES" command lists some remotes, etc, before trying to get sagetv to see anything... since sagetv is only going to see the output of those commands, and if they don't work, then sagetv won't work.
So I am not running Docker or Unraid or anything like that. A simple 14.04 install to a new drive. As it sits now I can see the tuner and select it in the config. a Step forward. I have three identical files in the /opt/sagetv/server/gentuner directory as it was unclear to me which was specifically needed. I assume having all three is not an issue? These are:

gentuner
gentuner.lirc
gentuner.local

Issuing the REMOTES command to any of these ( gentuner REMOTES ) results in a "command not found" response. If however I execute any of the commands within the gentunerfiles at the command line ( like /usr/bin/irsend LIST "" "" ) I get the appropriate response.

So it seems the file is not recognized, in the wrong place, or maybe I am trying to run it from the wrong directory. I have though pretty much tried it from everywhere.

So, any idea what I screwed up?
Old 12-23-2016, 05:35 PM
SageTVaholic

try running
Code:
./gentuner REMOTES

Old 12-23-2016, 05:41 PM
Sage Advanced User

I was just returning to say that I found out that this command returned a response:

sagetv@SageTVServer-2:/opt/sagetv/server/irtunerplugins$ sudo ../gentuner/gentuner REMOTES
SAE8000
sagetv@SageTVServer-2:/opt/sagetv/server/irtunerplugins$

But the command you suggested ( ./gentuner REMOTES ) works as well. I assume this means there is a path or rights issue?

Update: I determined that the ./gentuner REMOTES only works if I am in the folder with the gentuner script file.

Last edited by phantomii; 12-23-2016 at 06:05 PM.
Old 12-23-2016, 09:20 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
I have three identical files in the /opt/sagetv/server/gentuner directory
There is no "gentuner" directory... the script name, "gentuner", needs to be in the /opt/sagetv/server/ directory. So, /opt/sagetv/server/gentuner is the script file, not a directory.

In the instructions... it says to use a gentuner.local script name for testing, and then just rename it to gentuner when it's working.
Old 12-24-2016, 12:35 AM
SageTVaholic

gentuner REMOTES likely doesn't work because your script is not flagged as executable. ./gentuner forces it to be treated as a script (. indicating 'current folder').

as stuckless states, sage needs to see the script named gentuner in the sagetv/server folder for it to access it. Move the file there, and sage should be able to configure and blast using that SAE8000 profile.

Old 12-24-2016, 10:57 AM
Sage Advanced User

So, I have fixed the file locations and confirmed if I use the following commands from the command line I can see the USB-UIRT send commands as I see the LED blink:

sagetv@SageTVServer-2:/opt/sagetv/server$ ./gentuner REMOTES
SAE8000
sagetv@SageTVServer-2:/opt/sagetv/server$ ./gentuner SEND SAE8000 1
sagetv@SageTVServer-2:/opt/sagetv/server$ ./gentuner SEND SAE8000 2
sagetv@SageTVServer-2:/opt/sagetv/server$ ./gentuner SEND SAE8000 3
sagetv@SageTVServer-2:/opt/sagetv/server$ ./gentuner SEND SAE8000 power

I have attempted to modify the gentuner permissions to make it executable and here are the permissions now:

sagetv@SageTVServer-2:/opt/sagetv/server$ ls -l gentuner
-rwxrwxrwx 1 root root 1324 Dec 24 11:45 gentuner

However running the command like this still does not work:

sagetv@SageTVServer-2:/opt/sagetv/server$ gentuner REMOTES
gentuner: command not found

Do the permissions above look correct? I suspect this is the last issue to fix because all the separate parts seem to work!
Old 12-24-2016, 11:15 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
So, I have fixed the file locations and confirmed if I use the following commands from the command line I can see the USB-UIRT send commands as I see the LED blink:

sagetv@SageTVServer-2:/opt/sagetv/server$ ./gentuner REMOTES
SAE8000
sagetv@SageTVServer-2:/opt/sagetv/server$ ./gentuner SEND SAE8000 1
sagetv@SageTVServer-2:/opt/sagetv/server$ ./gentuner SEND SAE8000 2
sagetv@SageTVServer-2:/opt/sagetv/server$ ./gentuner SEND SAE8000 3
sagetv@SageTVServer-2:/opt/sagetv/server$ ./gentuner SEND SAE8000 power

I have attempted to modify the gentuner permissions to make it executable and here are the permissions now:

sagetv@SageTVServer-2:/opt/sagetv/server$ ls -l gentuner
-rwxrwxrwx 1 root root 1324 Dec 24 11:45 gentuner

However running the command like this still does not work:

sagetv@SageTVServer-2:/opt/sagetv/server$ gentuner REMOTES
gentuner: command not found

Do the permissions above look correct? I suspect this is the last issue to fix because all the separate parts seem to work!
needs to be ./gentuner and not just gentuner...

In linux, the current directory is NOT a part of the path (for security reason), so, for this reason, when you run a command from the current directory, you need to use ./ so signify, the current directory.