SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Development and Customizations > SageTV Github Development
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Github Development Discussion related to SageTV Open Source Development. Use this forum for development topics about the Open Source versions of SageTV, hosted on Github.

Old 12-24-2016, 09:18 AM
Sage Advanced User

V7 to V9 upgrade - error - No encoders can tune the selected station

Hi all

Thought i'd have a crack at upgrading from v7 to 9....

Using the Windows installer everything seemed to go through fine, but when I start the service and try to tune a channel from any client, I get the message "No encoders can tune the selected station".

I have tried restarting the service / pc, as well as running Sage locally with the service disabled....
Interestingly I have had channel playback working a twice, once locally and once from Placeshifter, but I can't seem to replicate the fix or find any pattern to it.

My current thoughts are that its either a permissions issue, or something related to a delay in a service starting.

Prior to upgrade I was on java 1.6.10.

Log attached - any help appreciated.

Thanks,

Mat.
Attached Files
File Type: zip sagetv_0.zip (160.6 KB, 101 views)
Old 12-24-2016, 10:33 AM
Sage

Not sure from the log. Check Setup Video Sources to make sure all your encoders are setup and that the channel lineups are valid and that they are listed as functioning.
Old 12-24-2016, 11:02 AM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Narflex View Post
Not sure from the log. Check Setup Video Sources to make sure all your encoders are setup and that the channel lineups are valid and that they are listed as functioning.
Thanks - Sources and lineups are as they should be.

I left the service running for an hour or so and tried the lineup again - everything worked fine.

I have replicated this a couple of times now - have restarted the service and same error occurs, but continue trying the channels every minute or so until it works - will post a log shortly.

Could Sage or Java being doing something on a fairly infrequent basis that causes things to work again?

Last edited by mrcandu; 12-24-2016 at 11:13 AM.
Old 12-24-2016, 11:32 AM
Sage Advanced User

Replicated the above..... log attached.

So the question is did anything significant happen between 17:22, when the error last occurred and 17:25 (ish) when the channel tuned successfully?

Thanks for assistance - I'll continue to try and figure out if anything is happening outside the application.

Mat.
Attached Files
File Type: zip sagetv_1725.zip (428.7 KB, 102 views)
Old 12-24-2016, 11:48 AM
Sage Advanced User

Not entirely sure what to look for, but this seems significant:

The first event of this kind happened at 17:23
Code:
Sat 12/24 17:23:53.528 [Seeker@985bef] Seeker adding new Encoder: Hauppauge WinTV MOD7700 DVB-T Capture (Dev2 Path1)
Fired up the service at 17:06
Old 12-25-2016, 10:33 AM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrcandu View Post
Prior to upgrade I was on java 1.6.10.
Wasn't there an upgrade in the Repo to increase the Minimum Java Version to something like Java 7.5? From this, it looks like MrCandu is on 6.10.

So upgrading to Java 7 at the least might help.

Although I'd then be intrigued as to how this is the only issue so far.
Old 12-25-2016, 07:07 PM
Sage Aficionado

Did you install the the LAV Filters decoder pack at
https://github.com/Nevcairiel/LAVFilters/releases

Also since I believe sage tv is still 32 bit you have to install the 32 bit decoders instead of the 64 bit versions for sage to find them.
Old 12-26-2016, 04:55 AM
Sage Advanced User

Thanks for the help all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monedeath View Post
Wasn't there an upgrade in the Repo to increase the Minimum Java Version to something like Java 7.5? From this, it looks like MrCandu is on 6.10.

So upgrading to Java 7 at the least might help.

Although I'd then be intrigued as to how this is the only issue so far.
Using SageTV v7, i'm running Java 6.10. If I upgrade to Sage v9, Java 7.x is installed for min requirements, so that all seems fine to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trallyus View Post
Did you install the the LAV Filters decoder pack at
https://github.com/Nevcairiel/LAVFilters/releases

Also since I believe sage tv is still 32 bit you have to install the 32 bit decoders instead of the 64 bit versions for sage to find them.
I don't think its a playback / rendering issue, SageTV just doesn't seem to find the tuners until 20 mins or so after the service starting.

I have reverted back to the v7 install for the time being, but will find some time later today to continue looking at this.

One thing I thought I noticed is that the v9 service was consuming much more memory at startup than the v7 install - Will verify later and provide some stats.
My machine is fairly low on resources - its just an Atom 330 with 2gb of RAM.
Windows 10 is not exactly snappy on it, but I have never had any issues with v7.
I wonder if its something in Java v7 or Sage v9, that is consuming that bit more memory that just pushes the server over the edge.

I'll also have a look into when v7 fires the first "Seeker adding new Encoder" event.
This seems to be the thing that happened on the v9 install after 20 mins that got things working again.
Old 12-26-2016, 02:43 PM
Sage Expert

I know that when I did my initial upgrade to V9 from V7, it took upwards of a half hour for most of the tuners to come online and become available to SageTV.

The Issue only existed on that first startup, tuners were available in a much more reasonable time frame after that. I imagine a lot of that delay was SageTV parsing through the v7 wiz.bin and upgrading it to the v9 format.

So if you've been freaking out after that first startup, and reverted back before trying a second one later on. That is potentially some of what you're seeing.
Old 12-28-2016, 08:43 AM
Sage

For some reason it is taking 17 minutes to verify that all of your recordings are valid and the durations of them are correct. Not sure why though...
Old 12-28-2016, 09:09 AM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monedeath View Post
I know that when I did my initial upgrade to V9 from V7, it took upwards of a half hour for most of the tuners to come online and become available to SageTV.

The Issue only existed on that first startup, tuners were available in a much more reasonable time frame after that. I imagine a lot of that delay was SageTV parsing through the v7 wiz.bin and upgrading it to the v9 format.

So if you've been freaking out after that first startup, and reverted back before trying a second one later on. That is potentially some of what you're seeing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Narflex View Post
For some reason it is taking 17 minutes to verify that all of your recordings are valid and the durations of them are correct. Not sure why though...
Thanks both....
I didn't really get anywhere with finding a proper fix for this - It didn't matter how many times I restarted the service or how long I let it run for.
I managed to pinpoint that it was something in the wiz.bin or properties migration that was causing the problem.
A solution was to let Sage 9 create both files from scratch - everything runs fine now.
Shame I can't keep the db, but a least i'm up and running!

Mat.