SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > General Discussion > General Discussion
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

General Discussion General discussion about SageTV and related companies, products, and technologies.

Old 01-14-2017, 09:43 AM
Sage Fanatic

PlayOn: Anybody Usiing ?

Reading the rather sparse PlayOn web pages, I come away thinking that maybe it supports recording streamed video on some sort of scheduled basis.

I'm thinking Charlie Rose - which my local PBS station has been dropping with increasing regularity during fund-raising periods.

Also thinking NetFlix streaming where it seems likely that PlayOn can record an entire series for later viewing.

In both cases it would seem that telling PlayOn to record to the Shares that SageTV uses for it's movies could allow viewing via Sage.

??
Storage: NetGear Ultra-6 NAS 10 TB total w/dual redundancy. Plus 5tb QNAP for RecordedTV.
Capture: 3 Silicon Dust HomeRun tuner boxes (6 tuners total)
Program Source: OTA antenna
Old 01-14-2017, 11:04 AM
Sage Expert

I've been using it for years now. I usually access it through tmiranda's UPnP Browser plugin and just go to the Playon Recordings group. It puts the subscriptions in folders by default. So under the Playon Recordings, would be >Show Title >Season >Show.

I don't see why you couldn't just make it an import folder. In fact, I wonder why I haven't

Playon has not been without it's issues. I currently have it on 3 different PCs (one virtual) to try and figure out why it refuses to log into AMC (and a couple of others I don't care about). It does on one installation, but not the other 2. Playon has been great about trying to resolve it. And they say they are working on it now. But sometimes they can be a bit slow to actually get there.

However, I do really love it. I have a few channel subscriptions (like Sage favorites). And I have it set to remove commercials. And it works well. I have had one of my installations with very jumpy video. But the others are fine, so I don't think it has anything to do with Playon.

And if you use Kodi anywhere, you can link directly to the Playon folder from the menu with it's built in UPnP browser..
Old 01-20-2017, 02:30 PM
Sage User

I cut cable tv a few years ago, and signed up with hulu and cbs all access, and use playon to record our network shows through those since our antenna reception is spotty. It works really well for me.