SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Development and Customizations > SageTV Github Development
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Github Development Discussion related to SageTV Open Source Development. Use this forum for development topics about the Open Source versions of SageTV, hosted on Github.

Old 01-15-2017, 06:41 PM
Sage Advanced User

How to restore favorites and recording schedule from licensed version

I installed using the Jfrog installer and my info is lost. I had a licensed version. I did a system restore and copied my backed up \Program files\SageTV7 but It wanted the license key again. So I searched my e-mail and found my V6 upgrade key but it doesn't work. So I again installed SageTV9 which works but all my history, favorites (25) and recording schedule are gone.

Is there anyway to restore them. Maybe copying the backed up wiz.bin? Or am I just screwed?
Old 01-15-2017, 06:44 PM
Sage Icon

Shut down Sage. Copy your old wiz.bin over the V9 one. It will read it and convert it to the V9 format on the next startup.
Old 01-16-2017, 07:59 PM
Sage Advanced User

Than you, wnjj! That worked. I did have to scan again and spent four hours at the laborious task of mapping names like "DTV11-45" to "Logical channel 45, Station=SYFY" but everything is now working.

A warning to others, the procedure to install v9 by just copying certain files listed in one sticky is chancy and may leave you with an unusable system. The method that worked for me was:

1. Backup C:\Program Files\SageTV entirely.
2. Exit SageTV, including the tray.
3. Mark the Sage Service as manual and stop it.
4. erase C:\Program Files\SageTV - BE SURE OF STEP 1!
5. Download and run Jfrog's installer https://bintray.com/opensagetv/saget...506_R1.007.exe
6. Run the software from the new desktop icon marked "SageTV 9", completing the setup steps all over.
7. Rename the wiz.bin as wiz.bin.original
8. Copy your backed up wiz.bin to the same directory as the new wiz.bin.original
9. Reboot your computer
10. Verify that your favorites are intact.
11. Rescan your card(s) i.e. "setup->setup video sources"
12. reboot again just for luck (It's Windows, the amazing rebooting machine)

At this point you should be good to go.
I'm not sure every step above was required, but it did work.

I'm just a bit sad and nostalgic for my old commercial SageTV that I've had since SageTV v3.

OH! I already had a Schedules Direct account for years, so it was just a matter of entering my SD username and password in step 6. If you are new to Schedules Direct, it might be a good idea to create your account first.
Old 01-17-2017, 02:30 AM
SageTVaholic

FWIW, most of those steps are unnecessary, as the inplace upgrade SHOULD work, there are just a couple issues that might stop it.

1. If you had the lucene plugin installed before upgrading, this will cause a conflict when sage starts after the upgrade, where sage will never get fully started up. This is because a version of lucene is builtin to sage v9, and they will conflict. Removing the older of the two lucene jars from the sagetv/JARs folder will fix this. The installer, sadly, is not able to remove these old files on it's own during an upgrade.
2. If you had replaced the .exe's with the modified 7.1.9.256 ones that were posted with relaxed licensing requirements (allowing use of v5 and v6 license keys), the installer will not replace these in an upgrade. This will require running the installer a second time and choosing repair.

#1 is likely what caused you to lose your favorites in your upgrade attempt. This is because it tried upgrading the wiz.bin,but failed part-way through the process because of the lucene problem, leaving you with your original wiz.bin as the backed up file, and the actual wiz.bin file being corrupt, so then, once the lucene issue is fixed, the next start up detects wiz.bin as being corrupt, and it renames it to wiz.bin.corrupt and starts with a fresh, empty database.

unRAID Server: i7-6700, 32GB RAM, Dual 128GB SSD cache and 13TB pool, with SageTVv9, openDCT, Logitech Media Server and Plex Media Server each in Dockers.
Sources: HRHR Prime with Charter CableCard. HDHR-US for OTA.
Primary Client: HD-300 through XBoxOne in Living Room, Samsung HLT-6189S
Other Clients: Mi Box in Master Bedroom, HD-200 in kids room
Old 01-17-2017, 02:05 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy View Post
FWIW, most of those steps are unnecessary, as the inplace upgrade SHOULD work, there are just a couple issues that might stop it.

1. If you had the lucene plugin installed before upgrading, this will cause a conflict when sage starts after the upgrade, where sage will never get fully started up. This is because a version of lucene is builtin to sage v9, and they will conflict. Removing the older of the two lucene jars from the sagetv/JARs folder will fix this. The installer, sadly, is not able to remove these old files on it's own during an upgrade.
2. If you had replaced the .exe's with the modified 7.1.9.256 ones that were posted with relaxed licensing requirements (allowing use of v5 and v6 license keys), the installer will not replace these in an upgrade. This will require running the installer a second time and choosing repair.

#1 is likely what caused you to lose your favorites in your upgrade attempt. This is because it tried upgrading the wiz.bin,but failed part-way through the process because of the lucene problem, leaving you with your original wiz.bin as the backed up file, and the actual wiz.bin file being corrupt, so then, once the lucene issue is fixed, the next start up detects wiz.bin as being corrupt, and it renames it to wiz.bin.corrupt and starts with a fresh, empty database.
Must have been something else. Before starting I did a windows search for any file with lucene in the name, but it found nothing.

Some strange things with file sizes. The wiz.bin that the installer installed is 36 Megabytes while the one that I copied over that I have been using for many years was only 15 Megabytes. After a days use it is now 21 Megabytes.
Old 01-18-2017, 12:49 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASegredo View Post
The wiz.bin that the installer installed is 36 Megabytes while the one that I copied over that I have been using for many years was only 15 Megabytes. After a days use it is now 21 Megabytes.
There isn't a Wiz.bin in the installer... (or at least there really shouldn't be).
Old 01-18-2017, 09:05 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Narflex View Post
There isn't a Wiz.bin in the installer... (or at least there really shouldn't be).
There is not.

k
Old 01-18-2017, 09:21 PM
Sage Expert

Quote:
The method that worked for me was:

1. Backup C:\Program Files\SageTV entirely.
2. Exit SageTV, including the tray.
3. Mark the Sage Service as manual and stop it.
I recommend changing the order of the above steps. Stop Sage first. Attempting to backup files while Sage is still running risks backing up stale data.
System #1: Win7-64, I7-920, 8 GB mem, 4TB HD. Java-64 1.8.0_141. Sage-64 v9.2.1 ATSC: 2x HDHR-US (1st gen white) tuners. HD-200.
System #2: Win7-64, I7-920, 8 GB mem, 4TB HD. Java 1.8.0_131. Sage v9.1.6.747. ClearQAM: 2x HDHR3-US tuners. HD-200.
System #3: Win7-64, I7-920, 12 GB mem, 4TB HD. Java-64 1.8.0_141. Sage-64 v9.2.1 ATSC: 2x HVR2250; Spectrum Cable via HDPVR & USB-UIRT. 3x HD-200.
Old 01-18-2017, 09:37 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jusjoken View Post
There is not.

k
It came from somewhere!
Old 01-18-2017, 10:22 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
It came from somewhere!
It should get created the first time Sage is run if it doesn't already exist.
Are you sure it was there after running the installer, but before running Sage for the first time?
Source:
Comcast/Xfinity X1 Cable
Primary Client: Server Other Clients: (1) HD200, (1) HD300
Retired Equipment: MediaMVP, PVR150 (x2), PVR150MCE,
HDHR, HVR-2250, HD-PVR
Old 01-22-2017, 11:23 AM
Sage Advanced User

OK, I probably ran SageTV 9 immediately to see if it worked.