SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

Old 04-04-2017, 12:25 PM
Sage Aficionado

HDHomeRun Connect

Its been years since I had to touch my working Sage box. I lost my HDHomerun HDHR-US Dual Tuner. Is HDHomerun Connect the next logical device to replace it with? I just need dual OTA HD recording and not much else. Will this work?

Thanks
Win7Pro, SageTV v6.6, SageMC, Intel E6850, 2048MB DDR2, , ATI4750, LG BR/HDVD/DVD-Rom,1xHDHR, 1xPVR-1600 (1x DirectTV , 1x Comcast Analog Cable, and 3x OTA Digital), USB-UIRT, and Harmony 300 Remote + 1 MVP Extender + 1 PC Client.
Old 04-04-2017, 01:26 PM
Sage Aficionado

As is the case I think I found the answer AFTER I posted.

Fuzzy mentioned that

"The 'regular' HDHomeRun devices (HDHR-US, HDHR4-2US, HDTC-2US) will all work with SageTV right out of the box and tune in unencrypted ATSC (Over-the-air) broadcast television, and sage will record it as broadcast."

Best that I can tell the HDHR4-2US IS the CONNECT version of the HDHR. So I think I will give that a shot.
Old 04-04-2017, 11:21 PM
Sage User

I bought the Connect from Amazon the other day and it was pretty much plug and play.
Old 04-05-2017, 10:13 AM
Sage Icon

If I was buying one today I would get the Hdhomerun Extend. SageTV will not create the h.264 mp4 but it would be a little more future proof.

Playback of mpeg2 files is hit and miss across many devices whereas h.264 mp4 is solid everywhere.

I have 2x HDHR4-2US and they work well. These are the minimum requirement for the HDHomerun DVR and the Plex & Emby DVR should you ever decide to go that route.

Retired SageTV in favor of Plex\Emby and YouTubeTV.

Last edited by SWKerr; 06-30-2017 at 08:50 PM.
Old 06-13-2017, 02:20 PM
Sage Aficionado

Problems setting up two new HDHR Connects

Can anyone review the attached SageTV log file and advise? I managed to brick two of the original HDHomerun-ATSC models which were working fine with a recent version of SageTV V9. I replaced them with two brand new HDHR Connects but cannot get any video to work. I used the very latest software from the Silicondust web site (the link actually downloads a beta version). The HDHR viewing app works fine and I can watch TV from the Sage PC - I have tried repairing the HDHR software and repairing the SageTV V9 install (running the latest version on Win10) and numerous other things (firewall config, etc. but no joy). Thanks in advance for any advice.

One more bit of info - HDHomerun Setup has a message saying that "A Problem has been detected with uPnP discovery..." and opens a browser to

http://www.silicondust.com/support/h...ulticast_recv/

(This is our work SageTV setup that I have messed up, not my home one which is working fine)

Last edited by Telecore; 09-30-2017 at 09:34 AM.
Old 06-13-2017, 04:59 PM
SageTVaholic

Fascinating. You must somehow have a null show title. I didn't think the code made that possible.
SageTV v9 Server: ASRock Z97 Extreme4, Intel i7-4790K @ 4.4Ghz, 32GB RAM, 6x 3TB 7200rpm HD, 2x 5TB 7200rpm HD, 2x 6TB 7200rpm HD, 4x 256GB SSD, 4x 500GB SSD, unRAID Pro 6.7.2 (Dual Parity + SSD Cache).
Capture: 1x Ceton InfiniTV 4 (ClearQAM), 2x Ceton InfiniTV 6, 1x BM1000-HDMI, 1x BM3500-HDMI.

Clients: 1x HD300 (Living Room), 1x HD200 (Master Bedroom).
Software: OpenDCT :: WMC Live TV Tuner :: Schedules Direct EPG
Old 06-13-2017, 07:02 PM
Sage Aficionado

Not sure what a null show title does, but this happens on every channel, different shows, when I try to watch live tv - do I need to do a uninstall then re-install?
Old 06-13-2017, 07:26 PM
SageTVaholic

The null exception I'm seeing in your logs is happening at startup in Carny. It likely is messing things up thereafter. Check your PM, I sent you a Sage.jar file that should fix it. Let me know if it addresses your issue. If so, I'll commit it to the main project.
SageTV v9 Server: ASRock Z97 Extreme4, Intel i7-4790K @ 4.4Ghz, 32GB RAM, 6x 3TB 7200rpm HD, 2x 5TB 7200rpm HD, 2x 6TB 7200rpm HD, 4x 256GB SSD, 4x 500GB SSD, unRAID Pro 6.7.2 (Dual Parity + SSD Cache).
Capture: 1x Ceton InfiniTV 4 (ClearQAM), 2x Ceton InfiniTV 6, 1x BM1000-HDMI, 1x BM3500-HDMI.

Old 06-13-2017, 08:56 PM
Sage Aficionado

Thanks ENE! I VPN'ed into work and updated the jar file and was able to see video when I tuned a channel via remote desktop - I will check it out more thoroughly tomorrow at work - looks good and everything has also been working great at my house (openDCT, latest SageTV V9 + Schedules Direct) as well!
Old 06-18-2017, 12:36 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnterNoEscape View Post
The null exception I'm seeing in your logs is happening at startup in Carny. It likely is messing things up thereafter. Check your PM, I sent you a Sage.jar file that should fix it. Let me know if it addresses your issue. If so, I'll commit it to the main project.
Has this fix been committed in the main project?
Old 06-18-2017, 04:41 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob23 View Post
Has this fix been committed in the main project?
It has. Due to the needed circumstance for this to happen (an unhealthy wiz.bin), I didn't think it was urgent to request a new release. I'm trying not to get people in a state of new release fatigue.

Old 06-30-2017, 02:39 PM
Sage Advanced User

Connect not working as well as original HDHR-US model

I have two of the original HDHomeRun white box dual tuner model HDHR-US. They have been work horses except for their power supply. I eventually replaced both power supplies with models rated at 5 amps and have had no further problems with them.

Now that I'm on version 9 with schedules direct and everything working well I wanted to add another 2 tuners. I was uncertain of the difference between the Connect which costs a fraction of what I paid for my original tuners and the commercial model with 2 tuners they sell now which costs about what I paid for the originals. Support explained that they are pretty much the same except for software features for commercial applications.

I bought 3 of the connects so I would not need to add a splitter. They are not delivering on picture and sound as well as the original HDHR-US. I'm now getting drop outs and "Halt detected in recording" tuner stopped producing data errors on my strongest channels which never had drop outs or errors before. I'm hoping support has a fix. Otherwise they are going to be returned.
Old 06-30-2017, 09:02 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by photon View Post
I have two of the original HDHomeRun white box dual tuner model HDHR-US. They have been work horses except for their power supply. I eventually replaced both power supplies with models rated at 5 amps and have had no further problems with them.

Now that I'm on version 9 with schedules direct and everything working well I wanted to add another 2 tuners. I was uncertain of the difference between the Connect which costs a fraction of what I paid for my original tuners and the commercial model with 2 tuners they sell now which costs about what I paid for the originals. Support explained that they are pretty much the same except for software features for commercial applications.

I bought 3 of the connects so I would not need to add a splitter. They are not delivering on picture and sound as well as the original HDHR-US. I'm now getting drop outs and "Halt detected in recording" tuner stopped producing data errors on my strongest channels which never had drop outs or errors before. I'm hoping support has a fix. Otherwise they are going to be returned.
I found the newer models worked well. I added 2xHDHR4 to my original HDHR3, and HDHR. How is your signal strength? Do you have a Amp in the line anywhere. It may be the splitter is taking just enough signal strength out of the line.

Did you buy the one with 3 tuners or did you buy 3x of the 2 Tuner HDHR4? The 3 Tuner model (HDHomeRun Prime) was primarily designed for Cable and Cable Card. I think it does OTA but I am not sure how many people use it that way.

Old 06-30-2017, 10:11 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWKerr View Post
I found the newer models worked well. I added 2xHDHR4 to my original HDHR3, and HDHR. How is your signal strength? Do you have a Amp in the line anywhere. It may be the splitter is taking just enough signal strength out of the line.

Did you buy the one with 3 tuners or did you buy 3x of the 2 Tuner HDHR4? The 3 Tuner model (HDHomeRun Prime) was primarily designed for Cable and Cable Card. I think it does OTA but I am not sure how many people use it that way.
OTA Signal strength, Signal Quality and Symbol quality are all 100%. This is what I bought: https://www.silicondust.com/product/hdhomerun-connect/
My old white HDHR-US has recorded this channel perfectly for years. The Connect leaves recording gaps and sage error messages when connected to the same coax cable as the HDHR-US was connected to. All of my tuners are connected to ports on a distribution amp. I disconnected my white HDHRs and connected the new Connects in their place and immediately the recording gaps began.

I enabled sending diagnostic information. Hopefully Silicondust support figures this out quickly.
Old 06-30-2017, 10:55 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
OTA Signal strength, Signal Quality and Symbol quality are all 100%. This is what I bought: https://www.silicondust.com/product/hdhomerun-connect/
My old white HDHR-US has recorded this channel perfectly for years. The Connect leaves recording gaps and sage error messages when connected to the same coax cable as the HDHR-US was connected to. All of my tuners are connected to ports on a distribution amp. I disconnected my white HDHRs and connected the new Connects in their place and immediately the recording gaps began.

I enabled sending diagnostic information. Hopefully Silicondust support figures this out quickly.
I would try recording with their built in DVR program just to make sure it works with their default app.

I would also try one of the new tuners without anything else hooked up. Just replace the old working setup with just one new tuner. Limit the new elements to just a replacement to what you know was working.

Old 06-30-2017, 11:46 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWKerr View Post
I would try recording with their built in DVR program just to make sure it works with their default app.

I would also try one of the new tuners without anything else hooked up. Just replace the old working setup with just one new tuner. Limit the new elements to just a replacement to what you know was working.
It is rather simple. Connect does not work fine with a fantastic flawless signal as indicated by Silicondusts own signal analysis software. If support can't fix it real fast I'll be returning the Connects.
Old 07-03-2017, 03:05 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
It is rather simple. Connect does not work fine with a fantastic flawless signal as indicated by Silicondusts own signal analysis software. If support can't fix it real fast I'll be returning the Connects.
Did you get this to work?
Old 07-03-2017, 05:04 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob23 View Post
Did you get this to work?
Pretty much everything recorded while I had them connected was bad in one way or another. Lots of dropouts and some channels would only work for seconds then stop. I enable logging and it was too much data for tech support to handle. So Tech support wants to me to remove all tuners and connect only one Connect tune channels and turn off logging.

I haven't had time yet. Have to do it when I don't need anything that gets recorded and with only 2 tuners Sage will want to take the tuners keeping me from completing the tests.
I would almost rather just return them but I will make an attempt tomorrow.
Old 07-04-2017, 06:39 AM
Sage Aficionado

I'm having a very similar problem. Just received a Connect last Friday and so far can't get a good recording out of it. Opened a ticket with SD support last Friday night, and am waiting for them to contact me.

Signal strength is good but signal quality and symbol quality drop.

I have removed the splitter and connected directly to the coax and still see the same issue. I have an Extend that works fine with our without the splitter.
Old 07-04-2017, 08:03 AM
Sage Advanced User

I also had problems with silicondust units. I had 2 hdhr3 units just before hdhr4s came out. Was having dropouts every day on recordings. One was still under warranty and the other was not. I had them replaced with hdhr4s. One for free and the I paid half price plus shipping for both. Same problem. my antenna is in the attic. Even on silicondust prog. I was getting dropouts (I think it was stability graph was bouncing all over the place.
My original hdhr (white one) had no problems. so I went back to my Hauppages and never had any problems. Now I have a 2250,1250 and 1800 all working with no issues. Someone mention that there was cross signals (or something like that) of the same station coming thru.
My hdhr is now a spare with my 950 that also works flawlessly.