SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > General Discussion > General Discussion
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

General Discussion General discussion about SageTV and related companies, products, and technologies.

Old 04-02-2018, 12:10 PM
Sage Aficionado

I haven't looked lately but EvilPenguin's Playon plugin is probably still available however it is obsolete and should not be used.
Old 04-02-2018, 01:03 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by trk2 View Post
I haven't looked lately but EvilPenguin's Playon plugin is probably still available however it is obsolete and should not be used.
ah, OK. I believe it’s still available, but not recommended? Any reason?
Sage 9 server = Gigabyte AMD quad-core - 4 gigs - integrated ATI HD4200 chipset - SSD boot, Hitachi Deskstar show drives. HD-PVR - Colossus - Win7 32 bit. HD200/300’s networked. HDHomerun tuner. "If you've given up on Weird Al, you've given up on life" - Homer Simpson
Old 04-02-2018, 01:08 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvmaster2 View Post
ah, OK. I believe it’s still available, but not recommended? Any reason?
I'm not sure it still works, but if it does, it will load an obsolete V7 STV.
Old 04-03-2018, 09:58 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by trk2 View Post
I'm not sure it still works, but if it does, it will load an obsolete V7 STV.
It works fine for me and doesn't affect anything adversely. I'm in v9 but not using any plug in stvs (gemstone or whatever), just stock stv with adm mods. It might still have some limitations (may not allow HD?), I'm not sure, but it works fine.
Tuners: 4 tuners via (2) HDHomeruns (100% OTA, DIY antennas in the attic).
Clients: Several HD300s, HD200s, even an old HD100, all on wired LAN. Latest firmware for each.
Old 04-03-2018, 12:21 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjpjpjpj View Post
It works fine for me and doesn't affect anything adversely. I'm in v9 but not using any plug in stvs (gemstone or whatever), just stock stv with adm mods. It might still have some limitations (may not allow HD?), I'm not sure, but it works fine.
Have you compared it to the more recent UPNP version?
Sage 9 server = Gigabyte AMD quad-core - 4 gigs - integrated ATI HD4200 chipset - SSD boot, Hitachi Deskstar show drives. HD-PVR - Colossus - Win7 32 bit. HD200/300’s networked. HDHomerun tuner. "If you've given up on Weird Al, you've given up on life" - Homer Simpson
Old 05-11-2018, 12:02 PM
Sage Advanced User

Sage Favorites and Play on

Hope this is the corect thread for this question .. if not please point me in the right direction.

I am a long time sage user and like the way it handles all of my content. I am however looking at cord cutting possibilities but one thing that is holding me back is trying to mimic the operation of sageTV Favorites in a streaming environment. I know in many cases i could just use Playon or a browser to get a show VOD but compared to having Sage remember what i like and have it show up automatically in my recordings page it just feels clunky.

I do have playon and upnp operational and manually recording a show via upnp works fine. What is the best way to mimic the favorites operation? Ideally this would include being to start watching a show during the recording but i realize that may be a bridge too far.
Old 05-12-2018, 12:34 AM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingDoc View Post
I am however looking at cord cutting possibilities but one thing that is holding me back is trying to mimic the operation of sageTV Favorites in a streaming environment.
With PlayOn Desktop, you can set up "subscriptions," which will record your shows to your PlayOn server. For me, they show up as "videos" in Sage, and I can watch through Sage after recording. I don't know what you can do to set up PlayOn recordings through Sage because I've given up getting the plugin to work; I just control it through the desktop or via a phone app.

Quote:
What is the best way to mimic the favorites operation? Ideally this would include being to start watching a show during the recording but i realize that may be a bridge too far.
So far as I know, you can't watch a PlayOn recording until it is finished, even though you can watch streaming when you're not recording.
Server: Windows 8.1 4gb RAM; 4TB SATA + others. Homebrew quad core AMD. Inputs: Haup. 980, 850 & 950Q on ATSC; Haup 1600 on ATSC & Comcast 2 DTAs with USBUIRT for NTSC. Haup 1800 on ATSC. HDHR Dual (ATSC). Sage 9.22 64 bit.
Old 05-12-2018, 09:35 AM
Sage Advanced User

Thanks for the input.

I did not have much success with the subscription feature (playon would fail to record) but even without that the user experience (having to remember to go to the videos page and then search for the programs does not keep the solution within the WAF zone).

Also i have many (several hundred) movies stored which are rarely needed so i try to let the NAS drives go to sleep... i have found that scanning a sleeping import drive dosnt always work so needing to have auto scan enabled to pckup the newly recorded playon files messes up the access to my video archive ...
Old 06-04-2018, 10:02 PM
Sage User

Quote:
Thanks for the input.

I did not have much success with the subscription feature (playon would fail to record) but even without that the user experience (having to remember to go to the videos page and then search for the programs does not keep the solution within the WAF zone).
I have the same problem playon fails to record anything with the subscription feature or anything I tell it to record.
I can use sagetv playon plug in and after it plays I can save it
Old 06-13-2018, 12:40 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by krbaugh View Post
I have the same problem playon fails to record anything with the subscription feature or anything I tell it to record.
I can use sagetv playon plug in and after it plays I can save it
I've had mixed success though it records more often than it does not. It really depends on what channel you are recording from. Lately it has been choking on the embedded commercials on various networks - specifically ABC (when my wife misses a recording due to weather or whatever and tries to record the missed episode from PlayOn). With ABC, for instance, we tend to get the first segment up until the embedded commercial, then it hangs and stops recording. A few times it makes it to the second commercial break and ends. We only get full episodes occasionally.

Other channels, specifically some movie channels, seem to record just perfectly every time I try. We haven't had a subscription set up in a while but those worked fine back when we did (~a year ago or so).

I really think it's completely a question of what channel you are trying to record.
Tuners: 4 tuners via (2) HDHomeruns (100% OTA, DIY antennas in the attic).
Clients: Several HD300s, HD200s, even an old HD100, all on wired LAN. Latest firmware for each.
Old 06-26-2018, 10:12 AM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by krbaugh View Post
I installed PlayOn Desktop on my main Windows 10 machine and Amazon recordings would always fail part way through. It turns out that my old 6-core AMD wasn't up to the task. I had to change the PlayOn "Video Performance/Maximum video quality" setting from "Auto" to "High" and could not multi-task while it was recording. Only under these conditions would it finish recording. So, instead, I set up a Windows 10 VM on my headless unRAID server, installed PlayOn, and it records without issue (so far). I also installed Avidemux 2.7 on the W10 VM to strip the lead-in ads. If you use Avidemux, be sure that your ad-stripped recording starts on an "I" frame.