SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 08-19-2005, 06:51 AM
Sage Aficionado

VNC vs. Remote Desktop

Hi,

at the moment I configure my sage server with VNC, but I would like to use Remote Desktop (WinXP). The problem is that when I disconnect with Remote Desktop, the server always gets locked, that's not so good if you want to watch TV and you see the locked desktop instead of fullscreen TV.

Does anybody know if you can switch off this "feature" ?

Using SageTV 7.1.9, Java 1.6.0_24 Win7 Home Premium on an
Asus M4N78-AM Mainboard, AMD Athlon II X2 215, 4 GB RAM, 500 GB HDD, 2xTechnoTrend S-2400 as Network Encoder (LM DVB Smart Recorder), ATI Radeon HD 3450 with analog TV-Out on good old CRT TV (100Hz)
My avatar shows the world's best composer!!!
Old 08-19-2005, 08:35 AM
Sage Advanced User

Sorry, but there's no way to switch off that "feature."

You'll have to get Windows XP Server if you want to use remote desktop with multiple logins.

-Chris
Old 08-19-2005, 09:34 AM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisc16
Sorry, but there's no way to switch off that "feature."

You'll have to get Windows XP Server if you want to use remote desktop with multiple logins.

-Chris
Hmm.. I do don't want to have multiple logins, I simply do not want my sage machine to lock after disconnection.

Well... UltraVNC works quite well...

Asus M4N78-AM Mainboard, AMD Athlon II X2 215, 4 GB RAM, 500 GB HDD, 2xTechnoTrend S-2400 as Network Encoder (LM DVB Smart Recorder), ATI Radeon HD 3450 with analog TV-Out on good old CRT TV (100Hz)
Old 08-19-2005, 09:42 AM
Sage Advanced User

Concurrent remote desktop sessions in XP Pro:
http://sig9.com/articles/concurrent-remote-desktop

Might mean you can RDP into it without locking the local account out. Don't know, never tried it.
Old 08-19-2005, 10:10 AM
Sage Icon

Send a message via MSN to mikejaner
There is no way to do it even if you could have several concurrent connections like in "Server 2003", never heard of "XP Server."
Remote Desktop is great but limited in this way.
The Console, which is session connected directly to the monitor, keyboard, and mouse, is the session where your SageTV session would be. There is no way to transfer the console without locking the monitor. Even on Windows 2003 Server, you can connect to the Console by running mstsc.exe /console, but it is going to lock the main terminal also. All other sessions are virtual, and would at best cause multiple versions of SageTV Client to be running on the system. That's where it gets hairy. Maybe somebody else who does this could chime in, but it sounds like this is not something he is looking for.
VNC is the only way to go, unless you have PCAnywhere or something else similar.

Last edited by mikejaner; 08-19-2005 at 10:13 AM.
Old 08-19-2005, 11:17 AM
Sage Advanced User

You could try http://www.mywebexpc.com/index.php.

It's free. I have used it for over a month and no problems.

Clients: HP dm1(E350), HD-100
Old 08-19-2005, 12:10 PM
Sage Icon

@computer33

Does this program allow file transfers? Also I have tried logmein and the sage interface only comes up sometimes and even when it does it is flaky. Does mywebexpc handle Sage's interface well?
Old 08-19-2005, 12:22 PM
Sage Advanced User

Yes file transfers ae there. I have never had any issues with the interface. At times it may be slow but I can live with it.

Clients: HP dm1(E350), HD-100
Old 08-19-2005, 12:59 PM
Sage Advanced User

I have a simular problem. In my situation SageTV is running on a PC, attached to a network. But has no keyboard, mouse or monitor connected to it. Everything is controlled with my Hauppauge's remote control via my TV.

However sometimes I have to do some upgrades, or other software things on it and I use Remote Desktop for that purpose. The problem is when I log out, SageTV looses it's focus so I can't control it anymore via the remote control.
First switching off the PC with the power button did the trick, but I didn't like this method.

Therefor I made a "restart" icon available on the desktop of my SageTV PC which uses the shutdown.exe with the next command:

C:\WINDOWS\system32\shutdown.exe -r -t 05

variables that can be used are:
'-r' : restart
'-t 05' : time delay of 5 seconds
'-s' : shutdown

Maybe also useable in your situation?
Old 08-19-2005, 01:01 PM
Sage Icon

Thanx. That will help alot with my family and friends that always needs me to fix or tweak things and I need to transfer a file or install something.

However, this stinks because for my Sage server I just renewed my gotomypc account for $99.00.
Old 08-19-2005, 03:27 PM
Sage Advanced User

Oops

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikejaner
There is no way to do it even if you could have several concurrent connections like in "Server 2003", never heard of "XP Server."
Yes, Server 2003 is what I meant, sorry for getting my terminology mixed up. It was pre-coffee after all.

-Chris
Old 08-19-2005, 05:34 PM
Sage Advanced User

I used to use Remote Administrator ( http://www.radmin.com/ ). It is light on resources and very fast. Plus it is much more consistant in refreshing the screen than VNC. You can use one simple password or it can integrate with NT security. Multiple clients can connect at once and it allows for remote file transfer and remote shutdown.

It's Friday, have a and relax

Hey, this forum needs a smiley watching TV !!!
PVR-350
PVR-150
ATI Radeon 9100
512MB DDR RAM
2 x 80GB HDD
MediaMVP
Old 08-23-2005, 11:00 AM
Sage Advanced User

I also use remote admin. very nice program. I HATE that I can not make it save passwords on local machines (He Refuses to add that feature :-( ) and to make it worse he requires more than 6 characters (8 i think) so I can not use my normal passwords :-(

Chris Taylor
http://www.nerys.com/
Old 08-23-2005, 07:59 PM
Sage User

question for the OP: What are you wanting to do when you log into your Sage server? Also, how is your Sage setup? Are you using separate server & client or your server is your client?

I imagining you can have one user logged in with Sage server running. When you use remote desktop, login with a 2nd account.
Old 08-25-2005, 07:05 PM
Sage User

UltraVNC kicks @ss. I couldn't live without that program.
Old 08-29-2005, 10:39 PM
Sage Advanced User

Send a message via ICQ to willgill
UltraVNC is by far the remote champion if you ask me. I've used all the above programs. None have all the features of UltraVNC.

Uses one port for UltraVNC client connections.
No client? No problem, use that same port to connect through your webbrowser with autoloading Java client.
Has file transfers and entire directory transfers.
Numerous clients and servers for Linux, OSx, Windows 98,2000,XP.
Heck I even have a VNC client for my Symbian cellphone and program TV's shows from it!
Automatic compensation for varying connection speeds ON-THE-FLY.
Have paranoia? Use data encryption (built in) and blank the host screen. No one will know what you're doing.
Oh ya.. and it's free.
Server: WinXPProSP2, Athlon64 4000+ Dual Core, ASUS NVidia Premium SLI MB, 2Gig DDR, 2xGeForce 7800GTX in SLI, 2x250G SATA HD's in RAID stripe, 250G SATA Video, 250G Backup HD, Onboard Realtek sound, PureVid 1.0.2.223, SageTV 6.3.8
HTPC: WinXPProSP2, AthlonXP 1700+, 1GigDDR, ATI Radeon 2400HD AGP with , Overlay, SageTV 6.3.8
iTreadmill: Media MVP with USRobotics wireless bridge.
Old 08-30-2005, 04:48 AM
Sage Icon

Well, I agree with a caveat. Ultr@VNC is ONLY good if you install the video hook driver...

Without the driver add-in it takes WAY too much CPU to use on a server that is already loaded. I've seen Ultr@VNC take as much as 40% CPU on a dual 3.6 GHz XEON server.... That is insane.

Maybe fine for a home user, but unacceptable on a loaded machine.

Same machine with the video hook driver installed, Ultr@VNC took like 2% CPU.

Jason

Quote:
Originally Posted by willgill
UltraVNC is by far the remote champion if you ask me. I've used all the above programs. None have all the features of UltraVNC.

Uses one port for UltraVNC client connections.
No client? No problem, use that same port to connect through your webbrowser with autoloading Java client.
Has file transfers and entire directory transfers.
Numerous clients and servers for Linux, OSx, Windows 98,2000,XP.
Heck I even have a VNC client for my Symbian cellphone and program TV's shows from it!
Automatic compensation for varying connection speeds ON-THE-FLY.
Have paranoia? Use data encryption (built in) and blank the host screen. No one will know what you're doing.
Oh ya.. and it's free.
Old 08-30-2005, 08:37 AM
Sage Advanced User

Send a message via ICQ to willgill
Wow, I've never seen CPU utilization like that. Regardless, the video driver (and encryption) is included in the latest UltraVNC v1.0.1
Server: WinXPProSP2, Athlon64 4000+ Dual Core, ASUS NVidia Premium SLI MB, 2Gig DDR, 2xGeForce 7800GTX in SLI, 2x250G SATA HD's in RAID stripe, 250G SATA Video, 250G Backup HD, Onboard Realtek sound, PureVid 1.0.2.223, SageTV 6.3.8
HTPC: WinXPProSP2, AthlonXP 1700+, 1GigDDR, ATI Radeon 2400HD AGP with , Overlay, SageTV 6.3.8
iTreadmill: Media MVP with USRobotics wireless bridge.
Old 08-30-2005, 08:50 AM
SageTVaholic

For servers, the built-in Remote Desktop is the way to go. You *want* a separate session.

For headless client devices like an HTPC, VNC is preferable because it allows you to access the local session.

Different needs, different tools.
Old 08-30-2005, 11:26 AM
Sage Aficionado

I had some problems with the hook driver: When I turn on my TV, wake my Sage machine from standby I had a black screen, whatever I do.
When I connect from another machine via vncviewer, the image suddenly appears on my TV. I can logoff vncviewer then and watch TV.

Now I use the VNC-Server without the hook driver. Yes, it is slower, but it works better for me.

Did anybody else have this problem?