SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > General Discussion > General Discussion
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

General Discussion General discussion about SageTV and related companies, products, and technologies.

Old 07-24-2004, 01:38 PM
Sage User

Sage TV Roslyn Package non-tech viewpoint

I upgraded my bedroom PC with components from old main PC which included a 9700 Pro video card that would be replacing my long-in-tooth 7500 AIW and now needed a tuner card, I saw the Roslyn Sage package and ordered it along with a Sage TV client.

Install took 5 minutes, setup took a bit of figuring out but nothing difficult and it all worked perfectly right from the start. Remote setup was your basic no-brainer.

My bedroom set-up is a 15" LCD on small writing desk and 20" TV in front of bed on low bureau. I was really just looking for a package that would give me a simple fuss-free front-end for the TV. I can happily say the Sage package delivered in spades, after a week of use I am wondering how I lived with ATI’s MMC for so long.

The client app kind of blew me away with its ease of install, clicked the .exe, entered name of computer that Sage TV is installed on and that was it, I was done and it works perfectly

You could say I am a happy customer.

The only thing I can't figure out yet is how to access video and sound files across my network, I can of course access with the client anything the SAGE TV acting as server sees but I can't figure out how or if I can access folders on the network using the Sage TV app.

Basic PC specs

P4 2.4 @ 2.675
ASUS P4T-E motherboard
512MB PC800 RDRAM
ATI 9700 Pro
Hauppauge Roslyn tuner/capture card
Creative Audigy 2 soundcard
Netgear Wireless “G” PCI card
Old 07-24-2004, 01:43 PM
SageTVaholic

Re: Sage TV Roslyn Package non-tech viewpoint

Glad to hear your happy, forums all to often only highlight the bad

Quote:
Originally posted by Stemcell
The only thing I can't figure out yet is how to access video and sound files across my network, I can of course access with the client anything the SAGE TV acting as server sees but I can't figure out how or if I can access folders on the network using the Sage TV app.
What you need to do is have those files available at the exact same path on both client and server. For example lets say on the server you have all your music on Z:, what you need to do is map that drive/share to z: on the client computer.
Old 07-24-2004, 02:02 PM
Sage Fanatic

Yep, ya could set things up with a "mapped" drive. I, myself, don't like "mapped" drives though (for other reasons not all related to SageTV).

You could also point to the //machine_name/folder

Depends how you have your networking and file shares set up. Some ways work better than others depending on your usage and/or which machines come and go onthe network.
Old 07-24-2004, 04:29 PM
Sage User

Thanks for the replies. I may just map the music folder from my HTPC to my bedroom pc, Sage's music player is pretty basic but is very easy to use with the remote.

Bedroom PC is about to get its 40GB D drive (120GB C) swapped out for a 200GB.

Storage has gotten so big and so cheap you almost don't need a server, at least for music. I am also toying with the idea of just copying the music folder from the HTPC into the new D drive in bedroom pc.
Old 07-24-2004, 05:52 PM
SageTVaholic

FWIW, SageClient can only play files imported into the media library on the server.
Old 07-24-2004, 07:25 PM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally posted by stanger89
FWIW, SageClient can only play files imported into the media library on the server.
Thanks, that I had figured but the client is on my main PC and I just use Winamp to access music files across the network.