SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > General Discussion > General Discussion
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

General Discussion General discussion about SageTV and related companies, products, and technologies.

Old 06-10-2020, 04:23 PM
Sage Icon

SageTV & Sling TV?

Not familiar with Sling but is there a means of integrating with SageTV?
Old 06-10-2020, 07:07 PM
Sage User

There might be if there is a way to use .m3u streams, I have Channels DVR and I insert the Channels I want from Channels DVR into NextPVR so I can use them with Kodi and the NextPVR client.

Channels DVR supports TVE and I believe Sling TV is one that might work with TVE (TV everywhere), Channels has a 30 day trial and then it is $80 a year.
Old 06-11-2020, 06:28 AM
SageTVaholic

There are two ways to integrate Sling.

- Put the output of a Sage Extender into Sling. This lets you Placeshift anything that the Extender can play. The advantage over using SageTV Placeshifter is that there is less playing around with firewalls and you can play back on other devices like phones and tablets. SageTV Placeshifter also struggles with 1080i content.

- Use Sling as a capture device to take the AV coming over HDMI and save the content into a video file. I believe that this should work as well but you may need something like OpenDCT. I think there are threads here about doing this.
Old 06-11-2020, 10:57 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayner View Post
There are two ways to integrate Sling.

- Put the output of a Sage Extender into Sling. This lets you Placeshift anything that the Extender can play. The advantage over using SageTV Placeshifter is that there is less playing around with firewalls and you can play back on other devices like phones and tablets. SageTV Placeshifter also struggles with 1080i content.

- Use Sling as a capture device to take the AV coming over HDMI and save the content into a video file. I believe that this should work as well but you may need something like OpenDCT. I think there are threads here about doing this.
Are you thinking of the DirecTV Slingbox and not the streaming service Sling TV?

(side note, I have always been amazed that the FTC let both exist with their names)
Tuners: 4 tuners via (2) HDHomeruns (100% OTA, DIY antennas in the attic).
Clients: Several HD300s, HD200s, even an old HD100, all on wired LAN. Latest firmware for each.
Old 06-11-2020, 11:36 AM
Sage Icon

Sling TV and if there was a way to get "recordings" from it into SageTV.
Preferably if there was a way to schedule from within Sage.

Just trying to think of alternate options that might be available for "cable" news (CNN/FNC) without Satellite or Cable along with a small amount of channels potentially.
Old 06-11-2020, 11:38 AM
SageTVaholic

I am referring to Slingbox. I am pretty sure that it is the same company (or was the same company) so I guess that is why the FCC keeps the names the same.
Old 06-12-2020, 11:18 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayneb View Post
There might be if there is a way to use .m3u streams, I have Channels DVR and I insert the Channels I want from Channels DVR into NextPVR so I can use them with Kodi and the NextPVR client.

Channels DVR supports TVE and I believe Sling TV is one that might work with TVE (TV everywhere), Channels has a 30 day trial and then it is $80 a year.
I did the same with EMBY ... I too have a Channels DVR subscription. I guess SageTV cannot accept m3u as a tuner. SlingTV does work with TVE in Channels.
Old 06-13-2020, 08:38 AM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyplayer View Post
I guess SageTV cannot accept m3u as a tuner. SlingTV does work with TVE in Channels.
That is unfortunate, being able to use m3u streams is a great feature.
Old 06-13-2020, 09:01 AM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayneb View Post
That is unfortunate, being able to use m3u streams is a great feature.
I believe this is possible with opendct. m3u8 does not work, but I think m3u does.
Old 06-13-2020, 03:53 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by trk2 View Post
I believe this is possible with opendct. m3u8 does not work, but I think m3u does.
Does anyone know how to do this in opendct.