SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Development and Customizations > SageTV Clients Development
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Clients Development This forum is for discussions relating to SageTV Open Source Clients Development.

Old 08-03-2020, 02:48 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvl711 View Post
I was able to install it from the Play Store onto my 2015 Sony TV. If you go to the web browser based app store on a computer, and try to install from there it will tell you if it is not compatible for some reason.

Anyone else having this issue?

Thank,
Josh
ah thanks for the tip! the TV did show up as a device in the list and i installed it. i'll have to go now and see if it actually did.

Edit: the web method did manage to install it. But it still doesn't show up in the Play Store on this TV. hmmm.

Last edited by phelme; 08-05-2020 at 12:38 PM. Reason: Installation woes
Old 08-03-2020, 08:50 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by randyth View Post
Really enjoying this new branch on a Fire TV Stick 4K, but I do have some issues: Live TV works great with the default settings, but I find I have to disable Exoplayer and hardware decoders to watch Recordings; otherwise the video is either choppy (with Exoplayer) or audio-only (without Exoplayer but with hardware decoders).

Anyone find the "perfect" settings for a Fire TV Stick 4K yet?

In any case, it is quite usable as-is. Thanks so much for creating this, jvl711.
I did find the latest generation FireTV Stick 4k does not work properly with Hardware acceleration/Encoders enabled for MPEG2 if you're using the IJKPlayer. I believe there are 2 instances labled as MPEG2 in there and I think it was the first one I had to disable and then it would work.
Old 08-04-2020, 11:09 AM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by sacrament055 View Post
I did find the latest generation FireTV Stick 4k does not work properly with Hardware acceleration/Encoders enabled for MPEG2 if you're using the IJKPlayer. I believe there are 2 instances labled as MPEG2 in there and I think it was the first one I had to disable and then it would work.
That did it! Thanks so much, sacrament055. I don't even need OpenDCT with this simple solution.

Cheers,
-Randy
Old 08-04-2020, 11:26 PM
SageTVaholic

TiVo Stream & Miniclient?

Does anyone have a new, TiVo Stream? Is it Android based? Could it run the Miniclient? So many questions...
Sage 9 server = Gigabyte AMD quad-core - 4 gigs - integrated ATI HD4200 chipset - SSD boot, Hitachi Deskstar show drives. HD-PVR - Colossus - Win7 32 bit. HD200/300’s networked. HDHomerun tuner. "If you've given up on Weird Al, you've given up on life" - Homer Simpson
Old 08-08-2020, 12:45 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
That did it! Thanks so much, sacrament055. I don't even need OpenDCT with this simple solution.

Cheers,
-Randy
Ahhhhh....that works for me too.
Old 08-10-2020, 10:12 AM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by sacrament055 View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scriber View Post
Ahhhhh....that works for me too.
Guys, just getting back to SageTV and am also using a FireTV 4k for viewing. To be clear, are you guys using IJKPlayer with first MPEG2 (top of list) off and hardware acceleration off? These settings do work for me but I have a weird display issue with video insets on other menus. Lots of jumpiness. Are you seeing this also?

Lastly, are you guys able to map buttons from the firetv remote? I'd like to map a button to guide but I am not having any luck.
Sage Mini Client on Amazon Fire Sticks and Android TVs
Old 08-10-2020, 11:09 AM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinki View Post
Guys, just getting back to SageTV and am also using a FireTV 4k for viewing. To be clear, are you guys using IJKPlayer with first MPEG2 (top of list) off and hardware acceleration off? These settings do work for me but I have a weird display issue with video insets on other menus. Lots of jumpiness. Are you seeing this also?
I think the recommendation is to use Exoplayer, IJK isn't being updated any more.

The problem is Exoplayer has problems playing MPEG-PS container files. See earlier in this thread for a discussion on that. If you are using OpenDCT it should be saving the files in MPEG-TS containers, which play well with Exoplayer.

--John

Last edited by jpwegas; 08-10-2020 at 11:13 AM.
Old 08-10-2020, 11:09 AM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:

Lastly, are you guys able to map buttons from the firetv remote? I'd like to map a button to guide but I am not having any luck.
I don't have it in front of me but I seem to recall it was the top one that was disabled. That is an IJKplayer setting and before I installed OpenDCT it was the only way I could get OTA MPEG2 to display correctly.

I do have hardware acceleration enabled except for the MPEG2 part mentioned before and playback is smooth (starts out a bit off some times then catches up in a few seconds)

I seem to recall that it played back poorly without any hardware acceleration.
Old 08-10-2020, 12:01 PM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpwegas View Post
I think the recommendation is to use Exoplayer, IJK isn't being updated any more.

The problem is Exoplayer has problems playing MPEG-PS container files. See earlier in this thread for a discussion on that. If you are using OpenDCT it should be saving the files in MPEG-TS containers, which play well with Exoplayer.

--John
That is likely true. Unfortunately, OpenDCT, even after following all the advice found in this thread and other OpenDCT-related threads, changed the issues I was having with Exoplayer on my Fire TV Stick but did not fix them. For whatever reason, I still get the best performance with IJK player.
Old 08-10-2020, 02:42 PM
Sage Expert

Quote:
That is likely true. Unfortunately, OpenDCT, even after following all the advice found in this thread and other OpenDCT-related threads, changed the issues I was having with Exoplayer on my Fire TV Stick but did not fix them.
You still had problems with *new* recordings after OpenDCT was being used to record from the Homerun devices?

--John
Old 08-10-2020, 04:22 PM
Sage User

Quote:
You still had problems with *new* recordings after OpenDCT was being used to record from the Homerun devices?

--John
Correct: New OpenDCT recordings were unwatchable with Exoplayer -- they halted and restarted about every second.

Additionally, live TV didn't work at all with the OpenDCT/Exoplayer combination whereas Exoplayer worked great for me before I switched to OpenDCT (crazy, I know). This is all on a Fire TV Stick 4K. I actually tried two different OpenDCT builds after I posted this. I also tried the suggested properties file changes suggested by nplayer and Telecore.
Old 08-10-2020, 04:30 PM
Sage Aficionado

I'm having the same problem with OTA playback. If I use IJKplayer with the recommendation to disable the top decoder then it works but I see a big interlacing problem (the picture is in strips especially during motion).

If I use Exoplayer then it basically doesn't work at all, sound but horribly jumpy video. I did have to change SageTV to record in TS files rather than MPG.

I do have a Prime encoder with CableCard where I can watch the same channels and those work fine, so it's not a showstopper, but I'd like to fix it.

Otherwise the app works great with the Firestick and is really easy to use.
Old 08-10-2020, 04:30 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Correct: New OpenDCT recordings were unwatchable with Exoplayer -- they halted and restarted about every second.

Additionally, live TV didn't work at all with the OpenDCT/Exoplayer combination whereas Exoplayer worked great for me before I switched to OpenDCT (crazy, I know). This is all on a Fire TV Stick 4K. I actually tried two different OpenDCT builds after I posted this. I also tried the suggested properties file changes suggested by nplayer and Telecore.
Never had a problem with Opendct as you well know IJK is no longer being supported it would have helped if you posted your OPENDCT properties and SageTV properties.
Old 08-10-2020, 05:05 PM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyplayer View Post
Never had a problem with Opendct as you well know IJK is no longer being supported it would have helped if you posted your OPENDCT properties and SageTV properties.
Yep, I should have shared the properties files after my second or third failed attempts at tweaking them to make Exoplayer happy. Once sacrament055 made the suggestion that fixed things for me, however, I stopped and deleted all my old failed experiments.

Sounds like I might get a chance to have fun changing it all up again if/when IJK croaks.
Old 08-10-2020, 05:12 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Yep, I should have shared the properties files after my second or third failed attempts at tweaking them to make Exoplayer happy. Once sacrament055 made the suggestion that fixed things for me, however, I stopped and deleted all my old failed experiments.

Sounds like I might get a chance to have fun changing it all up again if/when IJK croaks.
I tested IJK with H265 and it worked so you should be OK for a long time.
Old 08-10-2020, 07:27 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:

IJK + disable first MPEG2 entry + HW accel turned ON
Old 08-10-2020, 08:20 PM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zogg View Post
I did have to change SageTV to record in TS files rather than MPG.
Did you do this using OpenDCT or the encode_digital_tv_as_program_stream setting in Sage.properties? If it's the latter, it may not be doing what you expect. In my testing it names the recorded file as .ts but the container format is still MPEG-PS (not MPEG-TS).

--John
Old 08-10-2020, 09:40 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Did you do this using OpenDCT or the encode_digital_tv_as_program_stream setting in Sage.properties? If it's the latter, it may not be doing what you expect. In my testing it names the recorded file as .ts but the container format is still MPEG-PS (not MPEG-TS).

--John
That's what I did and I suspected as much (with the container) after reading the thread. However, it wasn't clear to me what changes I should make to the OpenDCT settings. The only difference I see is that I am using opendct.consumer.FFmpegTransSageTVConsumerImpl
as recommended for the Unraid docker settings, instead of opendct.consumer.DynamicConsumerImpl as shown in Telecore's example earlier.
Old 08-10-2020, 10:05 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zogg View Post
That's what I did and I suspected as much (with the container) after reading the thread. However, it wasn't clear to me what changes I should make to the OpenDCT settings. The only difference I see is that I am using opendct.consumer.FFmpegTransSageTVConsumerImpl
as recommended for the Unraid docker settings, instead of opendct.consumer.DynamicConsumerImpl as shown in Telecore's example earlier.
I am using this and have no problem might be a Linux bug ...

consumer.dynamic.default=opendct.consumer.FFmpegTransSageTVConsumerImpl

As a matter of fact I just use the defaults the only thing I changed was for closed captions and pooling.

Last edited by nyplayer; 08-10-2020 at 10:07 PM.
Old 08-11-2020, 07:16 AM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scriber View Post
IJK + disable first MPEG2 entry + HW accel turned ON
This is what I'm using. I did turn the option to 'show when IJK is using software encoders' and it pops up the message that it is using software when I stream from my HDHR. Can you confirm that yours is really using hardware by turning on that message in settings? Just curious.

It does play just fine but I'm sure it would be better with hardware encoder active.

*EDIT* I double checked my settings and I didn't have the hardware encoders set up correctly. Working now.
Sage Mini Client on Amazon Fire Sticks and Android TVs

Last edited by dinki; 08-12-2020 at 06:27 AM.