SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Development and Customizations > SageTV Clients Development
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Clients Development This forum is for discussions relating to SageTV Open Source Clients Development.

Old 08-20-2020, 01:26 PM
Sage Expert

I've seen the same behavior with live tv as well as recorded tv. In addition, I'm using comskip ui mod with auto skipping and it sometimes does some weird thing where instead of jumping forward it jumps backwards into the middle of the block that was just playing.

Overall the mini client is the best thing to happen to my TV in a long long while. Thanks for your work on this!
Sage Mini Client on Amazon Fire Sticks and Android TVs
Old 08-20-2020, 01:58 PM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvl711 View Post
I have seen this behavior as well. I think, but am not sure that it is only happening on certain content. I believe I have only seen this happen on downloaded content. Not sure if I am correct on this. If you could give me some more observations on the content that you are noticing it on that would help narrow it down. I am not sure if it is my bug, or ExoPlayers. It could be either.

And even if the bug is ExoPlayer's there is an outside chance I maybe able to make a work around.

Josh
It was an imported MP4 with no comskip cuts.
Attached Files
File Type: txt video info.txt (4.8 KB, 161 views)
Tuner: HDHomeRun Connect Duo
Sources: OTA, Sling Blue, Prime, Disney+,
Clients: ShieldTV (2), Fire TV Stick 4K (4)
Old 08-21-2020, 05:38 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zogg View Post
I have also discovered that videos that I download that have SRT files would properly show subtitles from my Windows SageTV server, but won't with the docker version. Most of my videos don't have them, but it was nice to have. Also, the new format detector plugin is Windows only at this time.
I wonder if this is a just file naming issue. Unix OSes are case sensitive. So, "FILE.mp4" is not the same as "file.mp4". On Windows "FILE", "File", "FiLe" are all the same. So I've seen problems like this where code will use the name of the base file to resolve another file and it "works on windows but on on linux" and usually it's because the paired file (usally manually created) is in a different case than the main file.
Old 08-21-2020, 10:45 AM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
I have seen this behavior as well. I think, but am not sure that it is only happening on certain content. I believe I have only seen this happen on downloaded content. Not sure if I am correct on this. If you could give me some more observations on the content that you are noticing it on that would help narrow it down. I am not sure if it is my bug, or ExoPlayers. It could be either.

And even if the bug is ExoPlayer's there is an outside chance I maybe able to make a work around.

Josh
I noticed some quirkiness on a TV recording I made that I converted to MPEG4 using SageTV Server a while back. I could skip forward and at some point it would jump back to the beginning or some point much earlier.
Old 08-21-2020, 12:26 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinki View Post
I've seen the same behavior with live tv as well as recorded tv. In addition, I'm using comskip ui mod with auto skipping and it sometimes does some weird thing where instead of jumping forward it jumps backwards into the middle of the block that was just playing.

Overall the mini client is the best thing to happen to my TV in a long long while. Thanks for your work on this!
I've also noticed an issue with the time bar indicating the wrong position as well with live TV (HDHR/MPEG2-OpenDCT-remux) - possibly only on the FireTV 4K (not sure if it happens on the Shield) also, skipping forward or back sometimes goes to the wrong position, but overall the miniclient is working very well.
Old 08-21-2020, 12:57 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuckless View Post
I wonder if this is a just file naming issue. Unix OSes are case sensitive. So, "FILE.mp4" is not the same as "file.mp4". On Windows "FILE", "File", "FiLe" are all the same. So I've seen problems like this where code will use the name of the base file to resolve another file and it "works on windows but on on linux" and usually it's because the paired file (usally manually created) is in a different case than the main file.
It might be along those lines, but I typically copy the exact file name minus the extension and copy that into the file name of the SRT file. However the videos I'm thinking of have extremely long names so I'll shorten them and see if it makes a difference.
Old 08-21-2020, 03:36 PM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telecore View Post
There might be one thing that was not specifically mentioned yet - in order to get the Android clients to play the OTA HDHR tuner stream (in .ts file) - it has to be "cleaned up" by OpenDCT by remuxing through ffmpeg (but not transcoding) - so there may be some settings in OpenDCT that you need to change. You need to stop the SageTV service, then stop the OpenDCT service before changing the file - then re-start OpenDCT, then the SageTV service.

I bought a new HDHR3 tuner from Ebay recently (since it appears Silicondust is discontinuing them) and thought I'd give OpenDCT another try with just that tuner. When perusing my opendct.properties file, I discovered that I had previously neglected to set all my tuners to opendct.consumer.FFmpegTransSageTVConsumerImpl. So, I fixed that, tested it out, and...

I can now use Exoplayer with this new MiniClient. Yay!
Old 08-21-2020, 07:26 PM
SageTVaholic

I am seeing this ... the Mini Client not remembering the resume point. Some times it starts from the beginning and I have to FF ... and sometimes it just marks the show as watched.

Josh I am sure the transcoding you are working on will address this.

Last edited by nyplayer; 08-21-2020 at 07:37 PM.
Old 08-23-2020, 01:15 PM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinki View Post

Ditto. Since switching to Exoplayer, I am experiencing a lot of Comskip problems (SageTV jumps backwards instead of skipping marked commercials) as well as FF and RW weirdness. Such problems go away when I return to IJK by turning off Exoplayer. I am not sure if this is related to just Exoplayer or has something to do with the Exoplayer-Comskip combination.

In case it matters, I am running SageTV server and OpenDCT as Docker containers on an x86 QNAP NAS drive with the MiniClient Fork on a Fire TV Stick 4K.
Old 08-23-2020, 05:33 PM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by randyth View Post
In case it matters, I am running SageTV server and OpenDCT as Docker containers on an x86 QNAP NAS drive with the MiniClient Fork on a Fire TV Stick 4K.
This is my same setup as well though running on Open Media Vault distro,
Sage Mini Client on Amazon Fire Sticks and Android TVs
Old 08-23-2020, 06:32 PM
Sage Fanatic

Status Update

Hi all,

I will look into the seeking/timebar issues after I am completed with the Transcoding changes I am working on. I am personally really excited for the transcoder changes, so I would really like to at a minimum get the fixed transcoding working before jumping back into the seeking/timebar.

FYI, I will be posting more specific updates and details on my Patreon page to my supporters more regularly than the SageTV forums. If you are interested in the most up to date info please consider becoming a supporter. I posted some early pictures of the new settings screens with some more details of my progress today.

Josh
JavaFFmpegLibrary
SageTVTranscoder

If you like the work I am doing and would like to support it you can become a Patreon member.
Old 08-24-2020, 05:31 PM
SageTVaholic

Thanks for your continued work on this, Josh.

Never heard of Patreon before, but got all signed up, secure and painless.
Old 08-26-2020, 06:43 PM
SageTVaholic

If Opendct can transcode on the fly is it possible to create a profile to just remux to MKV on the fly... I did some testing converting to MKV and they play great on my FireTV no problem skipping.
Old 08-27-2020, 07:40 AM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyplayer View Post
If Opendct can transcode on the fly is it possible to create a profile to just remux to MKV on the fly... I did some testing converting to MKV and they play great on my FireTV no problem skipping.
FYI.... Sage can now transcode to 720/1080 into a MKV container on the fly. Well maybe not now, but very shortly. Or I should say it is doing it on my home server

If you have not been following the transcoding thread you may want to pop your head in there. I am going to be releasing an updated Sage.jar and Andriod Client to enable HD resolution fixed transcoding.

I am testing on my production system now. Assuming testing goes well I am probably going to release to beta testing next week.

Josh
JavaFFmpegLibrary
SageTVTranscoder

If you like the work I am doing and would like to support it you can become a Patreon member.
Old 08-28-2020, 07:46 AM
Sage Fanatic

Talking HD Placeshifting Beta

Hi All,

I have completed development and unit testing of HD Placeshifting.

I am ready to share for Beta testing. I am going to give the Patreon supporters a first whack at testing it. Depending on the feedback I will most likely open up the testing to everyone sometime next week.

There are additional details on the new features on my Patreon blog. Let me know if you guys have any question/comments.

https://www.patreon.com/jvl711

Beta Release

Thanks,
Josh
JavaFFmpegLibrary
SageTVTranscoder

Old 08-28-2020, 10:34 AM
Sage Aficionado

Thank you so much for keeping things going. As a late convert to Sage just a few years ago, it's nice that at least a few people are still making improvements. I signed up as a supporter a few days ago and I'm very happy to pay for your time as Sage is probably my most-used appliance these days!

Regarding sideloading the app, wasn't there a phone app or quick way to do this that someone mentioned a while back?
Old 08-28-2020, 10:40 AM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zogg View Post
Thank you so much for keeping things going. As a late convert to Sage just a few years ago, it's nice that at least a few people are still making improvements. I signed up as a supporter a few days ago and I'm very happy to pay for your time as Sage is probably my most-used appliance these days!

Regarding sideloading the app, wasn't there a phone app or quick way to do this that someone mentioned a while back?
You are welcome! And thank you for your support. Let me know what you think and if you see any issues.

Here are two links that users posted for the Firetv

https://www.aftvnews.com/sideload-ap...ck-downloader/
https://www.digitbin.com/aptoide-fire-tv/

Thanks,
Josh
JavaFFmpegLibrary
SageTVTranscoder

Old 08-28-2020, 01:59 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
You are welcome! And thank you for your support. Let me know what you think and if you see any issues.

Here are two links that users posted for the Firetv

https://www.aftvnews.com/sideload-ap...ck-downloader/
https://www.digitbin.com/aptoide-fire-tv/

Thanks,
Josh
Hi. What would be the process to have the Miniclient be made available to Smart TV manufacturers, or do you know of a way to side-load the current Android release to those devices, i.e. Samsung, Vizio, etc. That would be slick, if even possible.
Sage 9 server = Gigabyte AMD quad-core - 4 gigs - integrated ATI HD4200 chipset - SSD boot, Hitachi Deskstar show drives. HD-PVR - Colossus - Win7 32 bit. HD200/300’s networked. HDHomerun tuner. "If you've given up on Weird Al, you've given up on life" - Homer Simpson
Old 08-28-2020, 02:14 PM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvmaster2 View Post
Hi. What would be the process to have the Miniclient be made available to Smart TV manufacturers, or do you know of a way to side-load the current Android release to those devices, i.e. Samsung, Vizio, etc. That would be slick, if even possible.
I do not believe that the Android TV app is compatible in any way. It looks like Vizio and Samsung are leaning towards HTML5 based apps. The SageTV community would need to develop a completely different app.

The best option right now is to use FireTV 4K stick. There may be a few other options out there as well, but this is one of the least expensive options. The pro to Android apps is that they are written in the native language that SageTV is written in. This allows for a lot of code sharing. The Android client is based off of the Placeshifter client.
JavaFFmpegLibrary
SageTVTranscoder

Old 08-28-2020, 03:24 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
I do not believe that the Android TV app is compatible in any way. It looks like Vizio and Samsung are leaning towards HTML5 based apps. The SageTV community would need to develop a completely different app.

The best option right now is to use FireTV 4K stick. There may be a few other options out there as well, but this is one of the least expensive options. The pro to Android apps is that they are written in the native language that SageTV is written in. This allows for a lot of code sharing. The Android client is based off of the Placeshifter client.
Ah, ok, good info, thanks. That doesn’t make it sound at all likely. I have a Firestick, but don’t use it much. Time to focus on it more
Sage 9 server = Gigabyte AMD quad-core - 4 gigs - integrated ATI HD4200 chipset - SSD boot, Hitachi Deskstar show drives. HD-PVR - Colossus - Win7 32 bit. HD200/300’s networked. HDHomerun tuner. "If you've given up on Weird Al, you've given up on life" - Homer Simpson