SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Development and Customizations > SageTV Clients Development
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Clients Development This forum is for discussions relating to SageTV Open Source Clients Development.

Old 06-28-2020, 12:13 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvl711 View Post
Hi,

Here is a beta version for you guys to try out. This has the 2.11.5 version of the ffmpeg extension. I am hoping this will fix some of the issues that we were seeing. Let me know what you guys are seeing.

1.5.1_beta

Thanks,
Josh

P.S. Compiling that extension is a real pain in the butt...
Any reason why you removed this ? "EXO: Disable Audio passthrough use FFMPEG Instead"
Old 06-28-2020, 12:24 PM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyplayer View Post
Any reason why you removed this ? "EXO: Disable Audio passthrough use FFMPEG Instead"
There was a reason, and honestly I do not remember why. I will need to dig back thru the code. I made changes to when it would use ffmpeg. It may have been a bad decision, but I am not sure yet. Need to review.
Old 06-28-2020, 12:37 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
There was a reason, and honestly I do not remember why. I will need to dig back thru the code. I made changes to when it would use ffmpeg. It may have been a bad decision, but I am not sure yet. Need to review.
No problem so far the beta is looking good ... I just asked because some users I support will be asking ... Thanks for your efforts.
Old 06-28-2020, 12:53 PM
SageTVaholic

Observations So far with Beta ... FireTV Cube 2 with Echo Atmos System

My Playon recordings play great MPEG4 .. former miniclient was out of sync.
LiveTV both H264 and Mpeg2 play great.

Will test H265 Later ... tested plays great ..

Last edited by nyplayer; 06-28-2020 at 12:56 PM.
Old 06-28-2020, 01:17 PM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:

That is great news. I await any feedback you have. Thank you for being my go to unit tester for many years!

I am glad my theory most likely is correct on what the issue was. It will be easier for me not to mess stuff up when I get a few more clients for testing. My 4k fire stick should be here this week.

Josh
Old 06-28-2020, 01:38 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
That is great news. I await any feedback you have. Thank you for being my go to unit tester for many years!

I am glad my theory most likely is correct on what the issue was. It will be easier for me not to mess stuff up when I get a few more clients for testing. My 4k fire stick should be here this week.

Josh
The FireTV 4K also plays great ... not as Snappy as the Firecube 2 but a great non-expensive client.
Old 06-28-2020, 03:30 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:

Ok so out of curiosity you mentioned live TV OTA MPEG2 and I"m guessing you're pushing that through Sage DCT?

I'm asking since I just tested it using a standard HD Homerun stream and while using EXO Player on a FireTV 4k Pendant I get the initial picture up then it does not continue to play and no audio. Wondering if it has to do with me not using the SageDCT setup that you're using.
Old 06-28-2020, 03:36 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by sacrament055 View Post
Ok so out of curiosity you mentioned live TV OTA MPEG2 and I"m guessing you're pushing that through Sage DCT?

I'm asking since I just tested it using a standard HD Homerun stream and while using EXO Player on a FireTV 4k Pendant I get the initial picture up then it does not continue to play and no audio. Wondering if it has to do with me not using the SageDCT setup that you're using.
OPENDCT
Old 06-28-2020, 04:39 PM
Sage Aficionado

Ok so further testing based on your comments.

I went ahead and upgraded my server to the latest Windows 64bit version.

Installed the plugin and enabled both options.

Now I am able to successfully watch MPEG2 OTA live TV using EXOPLAYER on your new version of the miniclient.
That test was done on an Firetv 4k Pendant.

I attempted the same test on my 2015 shield and and seeing an error there. Video starts playing (choppy) and eventually an exo player error message popped up with something about the audio being a problem.

Just figured I'd share my findings
Old 06-28-2020, 04:42 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by sacrament055 View Post
Ok so further testing based on your comments.

I went ahead and upgraded my server to the latest Windows 64bit version.

Installed the plugin and enabled both options.

Now I am able to successfully watch MPEG2 OTA live TV using EXOPLAYER on your new version of the miniclient.
That test was done on an Firetv 4k Pendant.

I attempted the same test on my 2015 shield and and seeing an error there. Video starts playing (choppy) and eventually an exo player error message popped up with something about the audio being a problem.

Just figured I'd share my findings
I tend to agree with you the Problem appears to be the Audio... I wish we could still have the option to use FFMPEG for the Audio and see if that helps. I very seldom use my Shield.... but will use it exclusively today see what happens.

Last edited by nyplayer; 06-28-2020 at 04:51 PM.
Old 06-28-2020, 04:52 PM
Sage Aficionado

A bit more testing on my FireTV is showing mixed results. I tried skipping around and am seeing some EXOplayer errors popping up. IJKPlayer still seems to handle it pretty well when I switch back to that.
Old 06-28-2020, 06:28 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Hi Dwight,

Can you please try again. I did not have distribution turned on for any other country than the US. It is now set to US and Canada. I should probably open this up world wide.... I may do that next release.

Josh
Thanks Josh - I was able to install it from your Playstore link above- a search from my TV Playstore only showed the ‘old’ app.

Dwight
SERVER: Intel Core i7-3770 CPU @ 3.40GHz - UnRaid Server 6.8.0/DVB LibreELEC with Docker stuckless-sagetv-server-java9 MOTHERBOARD: ASRock-Z77 Extreme4 / 32GB RAM CACHE DRIVE: SSD 1TB ARRAY: 24TB/7 DRIVES PARITY: 8TB
EXTERNAL DEVICES: 4x HD-PVR's Firewire Channel Changing
TUNERS:NO LONGER RECORDING LIVETV
CLIENTS: 2xHD300 2xHD200 SONY ANDROIDTV MINI-CLIENT
Old 06-28-2020, 06:51 PM
Sage Fanatic

For those following the thread 1.5.1 has not been posted to play store yet. I will try and publish tomorrow. Are your comments about 1.5.0?
Old 06-29-2020, 05:36 AM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
I tend to agree with you the Problem appears to be the Audio... I wish we could still have the option to use FFMPEG for the Audio and see if that helps. I very seldom use my Shield.... but will use it exclusively today see what happens.
Started doing my research on why I removed the setting for ffmpeg... Below is the three possible settings. Off, On and Prefer. So previously with the old setting it was either Prefer, or off. I changed it to be on all the time. I assumed that if there was a codec to handle it, in most cases that would be better than using ffmpeg. And if there was no codec, ffmpeg would be utilized. I did not think there was a possibility that ffmpeg would be better than the codecs on the device.

Below is a build with it hard coded to Prefer. Can you let me know if that makes a positive difference. I think I am going to add a setting for all three values (On, Off, Prefer), but I just want to make sure it is worth the effort first.

1.5.1_beta2

Code:
/**
   * Do not allow use of extension renderers.
   */
  public static final int EXTENSION_RENDERER_MODE_OFF = 0;
  /**
   * Allow use of extension renderers. Extension renderers are indexed after core renderers of the
   * same type. A {@link TrackSelector} that prefers the first suitable renderer will therefore
   * prefer to use a core renderer to an extension renderer in the case that both are able to play
   * a given track.
   */
  public static final int EXTENSION_RENDERER_MODE_ON = 1;
  /**
   * Allow use of extension renderers. Extension renderers are indexed before core renderers of the
   * same type. A {@link TrackSelector} that prefers the first suitable renderer will therefore
   * prefer to use an extension renderer to a core renderer in the case that both are able to play
   * a given track.
   */
  public static final int EXTENSION_RENDERER_MODE_PREFER = 2;

Last edited by jvl711; 06-29-2020 at 05:40 AM.
Old 06-29-2020, 05:55 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Started doing my research on why I removed the setting for ffmpeg... Below is the three possible settings. Off, On and Prefer. So previously with the old setting it was either Prefer, or off. I changed it to be on all the time. I assumed that if there was a codec to handle it, in most cases that would be better than using ffmpeg. And if there was no codec, ffmpeg would be utilized. I did not think there was a possibility that ffmpeg would be better than the codecs on the device.

Below is a build with it hard coded to Prefer. Can you let me know if that makes a positive difference. I think I am going to add a setting for all three values (On, Off, Prefer), but I just want to make sure it is worth the effort first.

1.5.1_beta2

Code:
/**
   * Do not allow use of extension renderers.
   */
  public static final int EXTENSION_RENDERER_MODE_OFF = 0;
  /**
   * Allow use of extension renderers. Extension renderers are indexed after core renderers of the
   * prefer to use a core renderer to an extension renderer in the case that both are able to play
   * a given track.
   */
  public static final int EXTENSION_RENDERER_MODE_ON = 1;
  /**
   * Allow use of extension renderers. Extension renderers are indexed before core renderers of the
   * prefer to use an extension renderer to a core renderer in the case that both are able to play
   * a given track.
   */
  public static final int EXTENSION_RENDERER_MODE_PREFER = 2;
Wow what a difference I had a few recordings that would start in Slo Mo then play fine ... but with this beta no problem at all. I think we have a winner !!!.
Old 06-29-2020, 06:10 AM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
Wow what a difference I had a few recordings that would start in Slo Mo then play fine ... but with this beta no problem at all. I think we have a winner !!!.
I think I am going to add the setting as "ExoPlayer FFmpeg Audio Extension" with the three values (On, Off, Prefer). I am going to default it to "on" I think. What do you think about that? It is working completely fine on my Sony TV with it set to "on". I think "on" allows for most use cases, but you can change to "prefer" if you are having issues.

Thanks,
Josh
Old 06-29-2020, 06:24 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
I think I am going to add the setting as "ExoPlayer FFmpeg Audio Extension" with the three values (On, Off, Prefer). I am going to default it to "on" I think. What do you think about that? It is working completely fine on my Sony TV with it set to "on". I think "on" allows for most use cases, but you can change to "prefer" if you are having issues.

Thanks,
Josh
Yes I think on is great by default because I think it addresses the most case uses ... but options are always great. Once again thanks for pursuing this .. I bet you never though it would be so popular ?
Old 06-29-2020, 06:29 AM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
Yes I think on is great by default because I think it addresses the most case uses ... but options are always great. Once again thanks for pursuing this .. I bet you never though it would be so popular ?
I did not think it would be! I am glad there are still many people enjoying SageTV!
Old 06-30-2020, 08:37 AM
Sage Fanatic

Quick status update.

I decided to add the setting for the FFmpeg extension before releasing 1.5.1. I am going to add that setting, and produce one more beta before pushing the update.

I have been attempting to publish the app on the Amazon App Store. I think I am going to need to rebrand the app to get it approved. I renamed it in the app to "SageTV Andriod Client". Hopefully this will not conflict with the other listing, and allow it to be published. I may rename the Google play store entry to match. Have not decided yet.

Josh
Old 06-30-2020, 08:48 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Quick status update.

I decided to add the setting for the FFmpeg extension before releasing 1.5.1. I am going to add that setting, and produce one more beta before pushing the update.

I have been attempting to publish the app on the Amazon App Store. I think I am going to need to rebrand the app to get it approved. I renamed it in the app to "SageTV Andriod Client". Hopefully this will not conflict with the other listing, and allow it to be published. I may rename the Google play store entry to match. Have not decided yet.

Josh
It has been rock solid.