SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Development and Customizations > SageTV Clients Development
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Clients Development This forum is for discussions relating to SageTV Open Source Clients Development.

Old 03-23-2022, 05:05 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by egeller View Post
Based on my experience triaging my test system, it may be your sources. I have found that the variability in how the H.264 streams are encoded can cause the Firestick to behave badly.

Therefore, I have to ask what are your sources?

For example, one of my sources is a Windows Media Center PC, used for HBO, showtime and the like. Without cleansing the stream, the firestick cannot seek the stream. Most of the other cablecard sourced streams, from Comcast, do OK.

However, on my test system I have an IPTV source. Each channel is a bit of a roll of the dice. I found that using OpenDCT to transcode the input stream works best. I applied the same fix to the WMC source and it cleaned that up also.

I think I have everything working OK for now and can use the miniClient with streaming mode=Dynamic.

Setting streaming mode=Always Transcode should have been a workable alternative for me. However, when I turned on transcoding in the miniclient, for IPTV I see no-video errors at times. On 1080p streams I see intermittent freezing of the stream, making it unwatchable.

By the way, in OpenDCT my IPTV source is defined as a generic pipe device. The transcoding definition that works for me is
ffmpeg -i http\://URL_OF_STREAM/%c% -c\:v libx264 -preset superfast -pix_fmt yuv420p -coder 1 -c\:a copy -threads 8 -f mpegts -nostats -

Do not use Ultrafast, as -coder 1 will not set CABAC=Yes and you need that to happen, apparently. Also, do not use threads > 8. I found a web site where someone did an analysis and found 4 to 8 work best.
Hi, thanks. My sources are a set top satellite receiver inputted via a Hauappauge Colossus 1 card, a local cable set top box via a Hauppauge HDPVR, and OTA channels via a networked HDHomeRun box.

Visually, they all look fine. There are certain satellite channels that have transponder problems from time to time, but it's rare. All three sources record, play back and appear LIVE fine, either via the SageTV Server software, or via HD200/HD300 Sage boxes.
Sage 9 server = Gigabyte AMD quad-core - 4 gigs - integrated ATI HD4200 chipset - SSD boot, Hitachi Deskstar show drives. HD-PVR - Colossus - Win7 32 bit. HD200/300’s networked. HDHomerun tuner. "If you've given up on Weird Al, you've given up on life" - Homer Simpson
Old 03-23-2022, 06:05 PM
Sage Advanced User

Ok, I'm at about 50% success rate.

She watch Netflix at full volume.

She can watch Hulu at full volume.

She can watch sagetv shows that were recorded off of car at full volume.

She can barely hear the mkv movies recorded in 5.1. it's like 1/4 volume or less.

She can't watch any MP4 files, player gives error.

She can't watch any avi files, player gives error.

At this point I'd settle for someone explaining why none of the l DD 5.1 mkv files have the correct volume level or what could be done to fix that
Old 03-23-2022, 08:41 PM
Sage Advanced User

I really should have tested this fire stick thing more before I went all in with this... Now I'm noticing more and more things that don't work. Even certain American idol recordings won't play. It gives a transcoder error.

Also, the fire stick 4k max was working very well until I Bluetooth connected to the amp I installed. The fire stick runs like absolute trash while you are connected to something via Bluetooth. The video skips, the audio skips, the remote is non response then over responsive... But if I just use HDMI audio to the TV it works great.

I'm getting more and more disappointed the more files I test and shows I try.
Old 03-23-2022, 09:55 PM
Sage Advanced User

If you get too frustrated with the Fire device, check out the "MiBox" style android streamer boxes. $50-$90 on Amazon and an easy way to get a Sage miniclient going.
Old 03-24-2022, 06:19 AM
Sage Aficionado

Try the TIVO 4K stream it's Android TV I have one and like. I don't use the Sage Client a lot on it but when I have used it it has worked well. I believe they may be on sale for $30.00 right now.
Old 03-24-2022, 10:12 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by mechling-burgh View Post
Try the TIVO 4K stream it's Android TV I have one and like. I don't use the Sage Client a lot on it but when I have used it it has worked well. I believe they may be on sale for $30.00 right now.
I have one, but TiVo's tech support can't make certain streaming apps work (or they won't try more likely). Motortrend TV being a big one.
Nice device, hit or miss compatibility....
Sage 9 server = Gigabyte AMD quad-core - 4 gigs - integrated ATI HD4200 chipset - SSD boot, Hitachi Deskstar show drives. HD-PVR - Colossus - Win7 32 bit. HD200/300’s networked. HDHomerun tuner. "If you've given up on Weird Al, you've given up on life" - Homer Simpson
Old 03-24-2022, 03:50 PM
SageTVaholic

TiVo Stream 4K and Mini Client and HDHomerun

Here’s the error code that Sage Server throws (/6up when trying to watch OTA shows via HDHomerun tuner.

Miffed.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg D4BB2DEF-6B9A-4DE2-9643-A77C3B8D02B5.jpg (601.0 KB, 67 views)
Old 03-24-2022, 11:32 PM
SageTVaholic

Well, I’ve tried two Amazon Firesticks, and one TiVo Stream 4K, and all exhibit the same problems, stuttering, stalling, and exiting. So, it must be something in either my network, or my server. Seeing that there are TiVo’s and HD300’s running with no problems, there must be a setting on my server that the Mini Client dislikes. Just don’t know which setting….
Old 03-25-2022, 07:11 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvmaster2 View Post
Well, I’ve tried two Amazon Firesticks, and one TiVo Stream 4K, and all exhibit the same problems, stuttering, stalling, and exiting. So, it must be something in either my network, or my server. Seeing that there are TiVo’s and HD300’s running with no problems, there must be a setting on my server that the Mini Client dislikes. Just don’t know which setting….
It does not like the way SageTV records ... That is why I went to OPENDCT. Maybe you can upload a recording that you have a problem with so I can test it. From the screenshot you posted it looks like your recording is corrupted. and your signal looks weak.

Lets see if EXOPLAYER is the problem .... Lets set your miniclient settings to use the Native Software decoder see if that helps.

1. Change to IJKPLAYER ... set streaming mode to Dynamic.
2. IJKPLAYER Settings ... set IJK to allow use of Native software decoders.
3. IJKPLAYER settings ... Disable Hardware decoders.

Back out try and play recordings.

Last edited by nyplayer; 03-25-2022 at 07:53 AM.
Old 03-25-2022, 07:55 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyplayer View Post
It does not like the way SageTV records ... That is why I went to OPENDCT. Maybe you can upload a recording that you have a problem with so I can test it. From the screenshot you posted it looks like your recording is corrupted. and your signal looks weak.

Lets see if EXOPLAYER is the problem .... Lets set your miniclient settings to use the Native Software decoder see if that helps.

1. Change to IJKPLAYER ... set streaming mode to Dynamic.
2. IJKPLAYER Settings ... set IJK to allow use of Native software decoders.
3. IJKPLAYER settings ... Disable Hardware decoders.

Back out try and play recordings.
will do. Yes, that OTA image I posted was weak - signal should be above 70 for consistent recordings. But it also happens on LIVE telecasts with as much frequency, telecasts that if recorded will play back fine on the server or thru HD300’s etc. It’s a very fussy app at this point.
Old 03-25-2022, 08:35 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
will do. Yes, that OTA image I posted was weak - signal should be above 70 for consistent recordings. But it also happens on LIVE telecasts with as much frequency, telecasts that if recorded will play back fine on the server or thru HD300’s etc. It’s a very fussy app at this point.
That is because EXOPLayer is fussy the miniclient does not use the native hardware decoders. That would solve a lot of problems.
Old 03-25-2022, 05:31 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Live is still recorded, there is no difference within Sage. Sage doesn't correct errors in the recording stream because Sage itself (and the extenders) is tolerant of the errors on playback. EXOplayer is not tolerant, hence you need to fix the recordings. Ijk is more tolerant as it is ffmpeg based like Sage, but has other drawbacks (no hardware acceleration and no active development).
Old 03-25-2022, 09:08 PM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Hi, thanks. My sources are a set top satellite receiver inputted via a Hauappauge Colossus 1 card, a local cable set top box via a Hauppauge HDPVR, and OTA channels via a networked HDHomeRun box.

Visually, they all look fine. There are certain satellite channels that have transponder problems from time to time, but it's rare. All three sources record, play back and appear LIVE fine, either via the SageTV Server software, or via HD200/HD300 Sage boxes.
What container are you using for your recordings?

Asking because when I was originally testing with an older FireStick (don't remember the exact model), I had behavior similar to what you describe.

I discovered that one of the miniclient players did NOT like MPEG program stream containers. When I switched to MPEG transport stream containers, the same video/audio streams played fine.

If you use ffprobe to check a recording:
MPEG Program Stream will say ---> Input #0, mpeg ....
MPEG Transport Stream will say ---> Input #0, mpegts ....

Ultimately this is why I switched to OpenDCT for ALL my tuners, even the ones that Sage knows how to deal with directly. Using OpenDCT allowed me to force the container to always be transport stream (without any re-encoding of the streams).

--John
Old 04-02-2022, 10:34 PM
Sage Advanced User

Finally got it right...

Had to be Amazon fire stick 4k max...

Turn off auto updates on fire stick
Turn fire stick to 720p (or whatever your native resolution is)
Turn fire stick to pcm audio

Sage settings that work for me (with exception that some movies look squished horizontally and you need to long press the ok button to bring up the menu with the stretch option, but all files now have the appropriate volume level)

Default ijk player

Streaming mode fixed

Transcode always

Container format DVD

Video bitrate 6000 ( or 4000 or 5000, whatever your network supports, 5Ghz spectrum is better)

Framerate use source

Resolution 1280x720

Audio mp2

Bitrate 192

Channels 5.1 (fire stick down mixes for you)

Remux always

Remux container DVD mpegps

Ijk settings
Show message UNCHECKED
allow native hardware decoders checked
Disable hardware decoders checked

Use opengl ui checked

Use natvie resolution unchecked

Edit app on standby unchecked
Old 04-03-2022, 07:30 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rezolution View Post
Had to be Amazon fire stick 4k max...

Turn off auto updates on fire stick
Turn fire stick to 720p (or whatever your native resolution is)
Turn fire stick to pcm audio

Sage settings that work for me (with exception that some movies look squished horizontally and you need to long press the ok button to bring up the menu with the stretch option, but all files now have the appropriate volume level)

Default ijk player

Streaming mode fixed

Transcode always

Container format DVD

Video bitrate 6000 ( or 4000 or 5000, whatever your network supports, 5Ghz spectrum is better)

Framerate use source

Resolution 1280x720

Audio mp2

Bitrate 192

Channels 5.1 (fire stick down mixes for you)

Remux always

Remux container DVD mpegps

Ijk settings
Show message UNCHECKED
allow native hardware decoders checked
Disable hardware decoders checked

Use opengl ui checked

Use natvie resolution unchecked

Edit app on standby unchecked
Ok, thanks - I’ll give this a go. When you say ‘transcode always’, where does the transcoded file get stored on the system - can I dictate that?

I also have a TiVo Stream4K device, which is quite nice, except that certain content providers (are you listening MotorTrend TV?) don’t seem to know how to make their apps work on it
Old 04-04-2022, 05:47 PM
Sage Advanced User

Sadly the audio is still not the right output level. Compared to Netflix and other apps on the fire stick the stage TV audio out is probably half to a quarter as loud

The worst part is when I try and watch any MKV that's Dolby digital and 5.1 the audio is not loud enough to hear even if I turn it all the way up. If I turn the audio up with Netflix or any other app I would literally destroy the speakers. When I turn the audio all the way up on sage TV with any MKV file I can barely hear what the people are saying almost like the center channel isn't being mixed in. So I don't know if there's an issue with this center channel not being down mixed correctly or if there's just audio problems in general with the sage Android app.

I should also note, when I play mp3 songs through the sagetv mini client, they are very very loud. When I play some recorded shows, some are quiet and some are loud, all mkv movies are quiet. Most all of my movies are 5.1 though.

I also don't see how you get into the actual HD300 menu where you can adjust the output type from coaxial HDMI or RCA etc. Like on the HD300 there's a menu before you actually pick your sage TV server that you want to connect to.

Last edited by Rezolution; 04-05-2022 at 11:56 AM.
Old 04-04-2022, 06:29 PM
SageTVaholic

I see some audio reduction with the miniclient on Firestick 4k max, but not the difference you are seeing. Have you tested with just television speakers to see if it is some setting on your 5.1 channel amp/system? When you are using SageTV, does the audio increase/decrease using the normal volume buttons on the remote (the longer vertical buttons up/down volume)?

The HD300 can be set to default launch to a given server, sounds like you have it setup that way. During bootup, if your TV presents the image fast enough, there should be a prompt to hit a button on the remote to NOT auto boot to the server. You can then enter the HD300's lowest level audio/video in the generic menu Settings. EDIT: sorry got the miniclient and the HD300 mixed up.

I believe all the audio settings for the miniclient are in the launch screen in Android, where you select a server.

Last edited by KryptoNyte; 04-04-2022 at 06:32 PM.
Old 04-05-2022, 08:25 AM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by KryptoNyte View Post
I see some audio reduction with the miniclient on Firestick 4k max, but not the difference you are seeing. Have you tested with just television speakers to see if it is some setting on your 5.1 channel amp/system? When you are using SageTV, does the audio increase/decrease using the normal volume buttons on the remote (the longer vertical buttons up/down volume)?

The HD300 can be set to default launch to a given server, sounds like you have it setup that way. During bootup, if your TV presents the image fast enough, there should be a prompt to hit a button on the remote to NOT auto boot to the server. You can then enter the HD300's lowest level audio/video in the generic menu Settings. EDIT: sorry got the miniclient and the HD300 mixed up.

I believe all the audio settings for the miniclient are in the launch screen in Android, where you select a server.
Yes. the problem occurs on the TV speakers as well as the amplifier and speakers I'm using. I don't think the center channel is being remuxed or whatever you call it. Most shows are quieter than others but 5.1 are the absolute worst.

I don't have it set to auto launch into my sage server. On the HD300 in my house it brings up a different screen when you originally start up the box showing where you can adjust audio properties, video properties, etc if you don't launch into your server after x number of seconds. I think that screen seems to be missing unless I'm just not seeing what to click on. On my HD300 box, there is a settings section and then audio and it has 3 images, where you can pick what audio output there is on the back of the HD300, it's like HDMI, optical, RCA, etc. I dont see that anywhere in the andriod client.
Old 04-05-2022, 12:00 PM
Sage Advanced User

I wish I knew how to test this stuff and give a better explanation of exactly what is occurring. All I can say is if I play an MP3 file through the sage mini client in the songs media section, it is super loud. If I play anything that has multiple channel audio like a recorded tv show such as ynr or American idol it's much quieter. If I play a movie such as an mkv with dd5.1, I have to turn the sound up to 100% and i can barely hear the dialog from what would be the center channel in a 5.1 setup. I have the fire stick set to output in stereo since I'm only using 2 channels outside .
Old 04-05-2022, 12:04 PM
Sage Advanced User

There are 2 other odd things I noticed too. If you create a playlist and let it play, the Amazon fire stick ffw and rew buttons move 10 seconds ahead or back in the song. If you want to skip tracks, you have to use the on screen green menu arrows on the left side of the screen. That in itself isn't a huge deal but I noticed sometimes the screen refreshes and actually changes which button is highlighted. So you can't leave it on track forward and just keep hitting the middle button to change tracks. Sometimes the button moves up one on the screen when the menu refreshes for some reason.

Edit: I just checked my hd300, it does it on the actual hd300 as well so it must be a glitch on the unit itself.

Also, when you change tracks using the onscreen buttons and a new song starts, the songs start 10 seconds in instead of starting at 0 seconds.

Last edited by Rezolution; 04-06-2022 at 10:51 AM.