SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > General Discussion > General Discussion
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

General Discussion General discussion about SageTV and related companies, products, and technologies.

Old 08-18-2020, 06:40 PM
Sage Aficionado

I am also seeing playback in a small window using madVR as the renderer when playing back anything Sage has recorded; however, if I playback a ripped movie or TV series from DVD or Blu-Ray it will playback normal size.

The only constant in the Universe is change.
Old 08-18-2020, 06:52 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by trk2 View Post
Thanks, this confirmed that I had everything configured correctly. Unfortunately for me Sage will not use madVR even though it is the default renderer as demonstrated in graphstudio unless someone sees something in the attached screenshot.

In regards to the crash when playing back H264 have you tried windowed overlay mode or fullscreen exclusive mode:

enable windowed overlay (Windows 7 and newer): [Disabled] Only available on Nvidia and Intel GPUs. Uses a low level overlay method which bypasses the GPU LUT (monitor profile) so madVR emulates it when using this option, this is done in 16-bit so madVR can provide better quality than the GPU. Overlay also bypasses the OS to a large extent; screen-shots are not possible. D3D9 Only. Incompatible with 'fullscreen exclusive mode'.

enable automatic fullscreen exclusive mode: [Enabled] madVR has exclusive access to the display, nothing else can draw to the display without dropping out of this mode. This is the most stable mode for madVR because it has the most control over when and how video frames are displayed. There is a slight flicker and delay as madVR enters and exits this mode. Required for 10 bit in Windows 7 or 8.
If you review your sageclient.txt log file, it should tell you which renderer and filters are being used. I would start there and see what else may need to be adjusted merit wise.

I also found that I have to have the H264 filter set to default, not LAV.
Old 08-18-2020, 10:42 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by trk2 View Post
Thanks, this confirmed that I had everything configured correctly. Unfortunately for me Sage will not use madVR even though it is the default renderer as demonstrated in graphstudio unless someone sees something in the attached screenshot.

In regards to the crash when playing back H264 have you tried windowed overlay mode or fullscreen exclusive mode:

enable windowed overlay (Windows 7 and newer): [Disabled] Only available on Nvidia and Intel GPUs. Uses a low level overlay method which bypasses the GPU LUT (monitor profile) so madVR emulates it when using this option, this is done in 16-bit so madVR can provide better quality than the GPU. Overlay also bypasses the OS to a large extent; screen-shots are not possible. D3D9 Only. Incompatible with 'fullscreen exclusive mode'.

enable automatic fullscreen exclusive mode: [Enabled] madVR has exclusive access to the display, nothing else can draw to the display without dropping out of this mode. This is the most stable mode for madVR because it has the most control over when and how video frames are displayed. There is a slight flicker and delay as madVR enters and exits this mode. Required for 10 bit in Windows 7 or 8.
I've tried enabling Full Screen Exclusive mode and the Windowed Overlay. Also tried enabling FSE in Sage. Didn't help with the crashing when forcing Sage to use LAV and it didn't help with the window sizing when using defaults.
Old 08-19-2020, 05:52 AM
Sage Aficionado

It doesn't matter for me weather SageTV is set to all defaults or LAV for decoders, it still uses the LAV filters. I don't experience any crashes using the LAV filters. If I try to force the Microsoft DeCoder then Sage crashes almost immediately and when restarted it still has reverted back the LAV filters or Default listed.

What I am noticing is that if Sage is playing back one of its own recordings (using madVR) it plays in a small window, I see both LAV for audio and video and madVR systray icons.

If I playback anything that Sage has not recorded, I see LAV Audio, Video , and Splitter as well as madVR systray icons and the video plays back in normal size.

I believe I have read that Sage will use its own splitter for "Sage Recordings" regardless of EnableStreamDeMux setting is set to.

Old 08-19-2020, 07:47 AM
Sage Aficionado

I'd be interested to know how you are you able to get LAV video working with Sage recordings MadVR. It might be an environment thing. I'm running Windows 10 Pro 64bit. What OS are you on?

I think you're right that the splitter is the key to this, and I'm honestly not sure if there is a way to override Sage's behavior in this regard.

As for Sage reverting to previous settings, that's its typical behavior when it crashes. Sage saves its settings on a successful exit, so if it crashes it automatically reverts to previous settings because the current ones were never actually saved.
Old 08-19-2020, 08:46 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by UgaData View Post
It doesn't matter for me weather SageTV is set to all defaults or LAV for decoders, it still uses the LAV filters. I don't experience any crashes using the LAV filters. If I try to force the Microsoft DeCoder then Sage crashes almost immediately and when restarted it still has reverted back the LAV filters or Default listed.

What I am noticing is that if Sage is playing back one of its own recordings (using madVR) it plays in a small window, I see both LAV for audio and video and madVR systray icons.

If I playback anything that Sage has not recorded, I see LAV Audio, Video , and Splitter as well as madVR systray icons and the video plays back in normal size.

I believe I have read that Sage will use its own splitter for "Sage Recordings" regardless of EnableStreamDeMux setting is set to.
Stream demux isn’t used for MPEG2 or AVI formats in case that’s what you’re dealing with. https://forums.sagetv.com/forums/sho...6&postcount=38

If you want to override SageTV using its demux on MPEG2, you can add a registry entry to point it at another filter as shown in this post: https://forums.sagetv.com/forums/sho...6&postcount=42

Please note that WOW6432Node should always be omitted if you’re working with 64-bit SageTV.

Last edited by wnjj; 08-19-2020 at 09:05 AM.
Old 08-19-2020, 12:09 PM
Sage Aficionado

CustomDeMux - didn't make a difference. Video still shows up as a small window inside of Sage.

The system I am using for this is Windows 10 Pro 1909. SageTV Client is 9.2.2.
Video Renderer is Default (madVR)
MPGEG2, H.264, and VC-1 all explicitly set to LAV Video Decoder.

I do see all 3 LAVs showing in SysTray (Audio, Video, & Splitter) as well as the madVR icon, But the video still shows up as small window in upper right corner of SageTV window. The video is a SageTV recording. If I play an imported video like a movie or ripped TV series, it plays fine unless it is a DVD format (Video_TS folder structure). DVD folder structure just won't play, no error, no crash just won't play.
Attached Images
File Type: png Video-SmalWindow_madVR-LAVFilters_CustomDeMux.png (211.9 KB, 155 views)

Last edited by UgaData; 08-19-2020 at 12:12 PM.
Old 08-21-2020, 11:56 PM
Sage Aficionado

I can confirm that when I set the CustomDemux and force Sage to use the LAV splitter, I no longer experience the crash. Unfortunately, I too experience the small window of playback for recorded/live TV while other media files playback fine.

Maybe someone with better knowledge of the inner workings of Sage will see this thread and take pity on us and provide some more insights?
Old 08-28-2020, 02:06 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiki View Post
That’s the simplest way to do upscaling, but there are many algorithms that try to be more intelligent about it by also looking at the surrounding pixels (and possibly also adjacent frames). So if the original pixel was black, when it splits into 4 new pixels it doesn’t have to make them all black. That’s why some upscalers are better than others.

Of course it’s not like the movies where the CIA is able to take a single blurry image of a car where the whole license plate was only 1 pixel to start with and do some magical processing to suddenly zoom in and read all the characters on the license plate.
Actually, we were able to read a credit card all the way across a large meeting room with a photo enhancer, but I don't know about doing it in real time video.
ASRock B450M Pro4 AM4 MB, Ryzen 5 2600 3.4ghz, Crucial Ballistix Gaming 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4-3200, EVGA GT 1030SC, WD Black NVMe SSD 250GB, 1x WD120EFAX 12TB, 1x WD80EFAX 8TB, 1x WDBH2D0040HNC 4TB, USB-UIRT, Colossus 2, WinTV-DualHD USB, Windows 11 64bit