SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > General Discussion > General Discussion
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

General Discussion General discussion about SageTV and related companies, products, and technologies.

Old 09-01-2021, 03:39 PM
Sage Aficionado

Locast isn't really Premium though since they could never start a charge for service option without negotiating contracts with each stations they re-transmit.

As I posted earlier this is why I don't consider the Channels DVR model viable long run. They are re-transmiting licensed material they decided you have a right too. The cable companies, TV Everywhere may not agree with them.

Martin
Old 09-01-2021, 03:49 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by emveepee View Post
Locast isn't really Premium though since they could never start a charge for service option without negotiating contracts with each stations they re-transmit.

As I posted earlier this is why I don't consider the Channels DVR model viable long run. They are re-transmiting licensed material they decided you have a right too. The cable companies, TV Everywhere may not agree with them.

Martin
It is still the best DVR out there for OTA and Cable recording and remote Viewing ... None of the others besides SageTV offer advance passes.... and SageTV is a pain in the ass to maintain and does not make efficient use of tuners.... when keeping padding on all recordings including back to back same channel.

Last edited by nyplayer; 09-01-2021 at 04:05 PM.
Old 09-01-2021, 04:18 PM
Sage User

channels dvr locast and antenna follow up

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetworkGuy View Post
I have been a fan of SageTV for over a decade, but it is starting to show its age.

In addition to the SageTV service, you need to have OpenDCT service and now the fHDHR services for LOCAST and Pluto. I have been using Channel DVR to record LOCAST for the past few months. It is built into the core product. (And they have a very simple way to add Pluto TV.) You can easily point SageTV to the Channels DVR recording directory and import the files.

And there is the issue of support. As much as I appreciate the dedication from this community, it is not a true support team. The Channels DVR developer answers questions within 24 hours and releases fixes to problems within days. (Reminds me of the early days of SageTV. )

I am still planning on going to an antenna since LOCAST audio is only stereo and I can get 5.1 from an antenna. At that time, I will probably make the switch to Channels DVR for my recording engine.

Something you should look into.
I get what your saying and it is a reasonable path. I have a couple of questions so thanks for your responses and followup. Here we go.
1) I can import channels dvr files into the video directory in sage and comskip even works. Is there a way to get sage to see them as a recorded show and not an external video file?
2) I have hauppauge tuners for my antennas so I continue to need sage is there a way to get channels to support the hauppauge tuners?
I guess my other questions should be on the channels forum

Again thanks in advance for the help
Old 09-01-2021, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeithAbbott View Post
“Since portions of its user payments fund Locast’s expansion, its charges exceed those “necessary to defray the actual and reasonable costs of maintaining and operating the secondary transmission service”

My interpretation of what the judge said is that Locast is allowed to recover it's costs involved in maintaining and operating it's service. The judge is saying that they are not allowed to use that money to expand service into new territories. I'm thinking that Locast is going to need to find a different funding model to expand to different areas. Maybe gofundme...
Exactly but they should have this done this right from the get go so you see there still not out of woods just yet we have wait and see what happen , They should have look at how PBS was doing it but all they need to do was start a new steaming channel across all city market for every one on internet by doing a pledge drive fundraising and taking reg donate with min pledge set as onetime fee not reoccurring or a option that allow reoccurring fee per month if we so choose.

Yes they expand service into new territories because if was true there would no PBS all across the USA and US Commonwealth Territory
Old 09-01-2021, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyplayer View Post
It is still the best DVR out there for OTA and Cable recording and remote Viewing ... None of the others besides SageTV offer advance passes.... and SageTV is a pain in the ass to maintain and does not make efficient use of tuners.... when keeping padding on all recordings including back to back same channel.
It maybe a pain ass but nobody has even match SageTV capability when come to recording scheduling
Old 09-01-2021, 05:08 PM
SageTVaholic

As mentioned previously, it does appear that the primary issues taken with Locast are:

1) As they expand into new markets, their $5/month "donation" probably significantly exceeds their operating costs,
2) The above $5 "donation" coupled with interruptions suggests it's not a donation, but a fee.

It should be interesting to see if their discontinuation of interruptions will have any real impact on their income, in other words, they really would be receiving donations at that point.
Old 09-01-2021, 05:28 PM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchcecg View Post
1) I can import channels dvr files into the video directory in sage and comskip even works. Is there a way to get sage to see them as a recorded show and not an external video file?
Yes. You just need to point SageTV at the ChannelsDVR recording directory. SageTV will find and correctly identify the shows. (If SageTV thinks it is a Video file, you can always use the BMT Web Interface to mark it as a SageTV recording.) As for Comskip, ChannelsDVR has a feature you can turn on the will generate an EDL. I have not tested it, but I am sure that SageTV will be able to use it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchcecg View Post
2) I have hauppauge tuners for my antennas so I continue to need sage is there a way to get channels to support the hauppauge tuners?
The developers have said that they will not support hauppauge tuners, but ChannelsDVR does support virtual channels. There are posts on the ChannelsDVR forums of people building an emulator to make a hauppauge look like a HDHomeRun. https://community.getchannels.com/t/...-tuner/26639/4

Most people are using TV Everywhere to record this type of content. (ChannelsDVR does support this directly.)
Tuner: HDHomeRun Connect Duo
Sources: OTA, Sling Blue, Prime, Disney+,
Clients: ShieldTV (2), Fire TV Stick 4K (4)
Old 09-02-2021, 07:38 AM
SageTVaholic

Locast is dead RIP.
Old 09-02-2021, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Locast is dead RIP.
Only in tell they go back to court
Old 09-02-2021, 08:47 AM
Sage Fanatic

Locast Nation

As a non-profit, Locast was designed from the very beginning to operate in accordance with the strict letter of the law, but in response to the court’s recent rulings, with which we respectfully disagree, we are hereby suspending operations, effective immediately.

Thank you.
Tuner: HDHomeRun Connect Duo
Sources: OTA, Sling Blue, Prime, Disney+,
Clients: ShieldTV (2), Fire TV Stick 4K (4)
Old 09-02-2021, 09:07 AM
Sage Icon

Not really leaving the door open for any coming attractions...
Miscellaneous: Multiple Sony RM-VLZ620 Universal Remote Controls
Old 09-02-2021, 12:55 PM
SageTVaholic

This explains a lot ....

https://youtu.be/SI0lF3fJIXY
Old 09-02-2021, 01:24 PM
SageTVaholic

That Youtube video is a very good explanation.

I am in Canada so the rules are different, but I find it ridiculous that you are forced to pay your cable company for channels that broadcast over the air. That makes no sense. You should have the option to get rid of a subscription to OTA channels on cable and just use an antenna. For those of us using SageTV it would not make a diff as who cares whether a show is recorded from tuner A which is OTA, or tuner B which is via cable. And the OTA signal is almost always of higher quality.
Old 09-02-2021, 02:00 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayner View Post
I am in Canada so the rules are different, but I find it ridiculous that you are forced to pay your cable company for channels that broadcast over the air.
I have Charter Spectrum, my "Broadcast TV Surcharge" is currently $17.99 per month. Like you, I find this ridiculous. Cable companies are eventually going to price themselves out of the market. It reminds me of when AT&T decided to get out of the local residential landline business, and focused instead on cellular. The cost to maintain a landline got to be so ridiculously expensive, it pretty much forced most people to drop their landline and go either cellular or voip.
Old 09-03-2021, 02:58 PM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetworkGuy View Post
Yes. You just need to point SageTV at the ChannelsDVR recording directory. SageTV will find and correctly identify the shows. (If SageTV thinks it is a Video file, you can always use the BMT Web Interface to mark it as a SageTV recording.) As for Comskip, ChannelsDVR has a feature you can turn on the will generate an EDL. I have not tested it, but I am sure that SageTV will be able to use it.

The developers have said that they will not support hauppauge tuners, but ChannelsDVR does support virtual channels. There are posts on the ChannelsDVR forums of people building an emulator to make a hauppauge look like a HDHomeRun. https://community.getchannels.com/t/...-tuner/26639/4

Most people are using TV Everywhere to record this type of content. (ChannelsDVR does support this directly.)
Thanks so much ... Unfortunately Locast is shutdown so this is mostly moot. Again thanks. I hope Locast will restructure to adhear to the courts ruling but I do not expect that.
Old 09-04-2021, 07:08 PM
Sage Aficionado

Since I was using this to receive shows on local channels that no longer work since the last repack, I'm doing what I know how to (very little) to petition Spectrum to add them.
ASRock B450M Pro4 AM4 MB, Ryzen 5 2600 3.4ghz, Crucial Ballistix Gaming 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4-3200, EVGA GT 1030SC, WD Black NVMe SSD 250GB, 1x WD120EFAX 12TB, 1x WD80EFAX 8TB, 1x WDBH2D0040HNC 4TB, USB-UIRT, Colossus 2, WinTV-DualHD USB, Windows 11 64bit
Old 09-16-2021, 05:03 PM
SageTVaholic

Last nail in the coffin ...

https://www.theverge.com/2021/9/16/2...bc-cbs-fox-nbc
Old 09-16-2021, 05:29 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
It reads to me that if they were to re-organize into a true non-profit that they could just restart, maybe under a different legal entity.
Old 09-16-2021, 05:31 PM
Sage Icon

I wonder how many more years until the networks figure out how to charge for their OTA service. It's gotta be killing them to give anything away for free.
Old 09-17-2021, 02:10 PM
Sage Aficionado

As history shows, big business' get anything they put time and money into.

At some point I wouldn't be surprised if we are required to sub and pay for it. You know like a State sponsored network. Just think how much easier it will be to......

/rant