SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Linux > SageTV for unRAID/Docker
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV for unRAID/Docker Discussion related to SageTV for unRAID/Docker. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to SageTV for unRAID/Docker should be posted here.

Old 07-24-2021, 10:24 AM
Sage Advanced User

Java 8 - No Android / Java 10 - No Schedules Direct - Stuck?

Hello,

I'm stumped... I was running the Java 8 docker on Unraid and when I updated the docker a couple of weeks ago I lost the ability to connect with the Android app (both the old and the new version).

I switched to the Java 10 version and everything worked great. Unfortunately I found that the EPG data wasn't updating so after a couple of weeks I got 'No Data" on all channels. To check the Schedules Direct connection, I added a new source, and when it got to the schedule direction step I got a message that it was unable to connect to the schedules direct server. I deleted the sdauth file and re-entered in my username and password, but again for the unable to connect to the schedules direct server.

I went to a different unraid server and installed a new docker for Java 10 and got the same schedules direct error, and I installed a new docker for Java 8 and couldn't connect from the android client. So new computer, new dockers, same exact error.

Reading the forum, there are statements that schedules direct doesn't work in java 10 only java 8, but since I can't connect to the android client (the only way I use sagetv on my shield) I can't drop back to java 8. There's also a reference to adding some start up commands on the docker to get schedules direct to work on Java 10, but I couldn't find any actual references to that.

https://forums.sagetv.com/forums/showthread.php?t=66134

There is also reference to updating the CA certs, but not sure how to do that or if that is part of the docker

https://forums.sagetv.com/forums/showthread.php?t=65465

I'm kind of surprised I don't see more people asking about this issue as it seems out of the box I was able to re-create it. Are people using something other than schedules direct nowadays? I'm fine switching that piece of the set up if that's what is required.

Edit: Also, I'm wondering if I am just having a network issue in my docker. I switched between host and bridge, but still had the same issue. Not sure what else to check in the docker.

Thanks,
flips

Last edited by Flips; 07-24-2021 at 10:52 AM.
Old 07-24-2021, 10:41 AM
Sage Aficionado

When I updated the Java 8 Docker I had similar issues. I wound up reverting back to Java 7 and everything started working again. The only downside is that I can't upgrade to the latest 9.2.5 version, so I'm trucking along with v9.2.2 for now.
Old 07-24-2021, 11:30 AM
Sage Icon

You might want to read thru this post: https://forums.sagetv.com/forums/showthread.php?t=66735

I will say that after reading thru that post, I'm still not certain what the "recommended" java version/docker image would be.
Miscellaneous: Multiple Sony RM-VLZ620 Universal Remote Controls
Old 07-24-2021, 07:59 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zogg View Post
When I updated the Java 8 Docker I had similar issues. I wound up reverting back to Java 7 and everything started working again. The only downside is that I can't upgrade to the latest 9.2.5 version, so I'm trucking along with v9.2.2 for now.
Thanks for the reply. I tried the java 7, but I couldn't connect from the android app. How do you roll the docker back to 9.2.2? I put that in for sagetv version, but I got Error 403 forbidden when it tried to connect to bintray.

I checked the logs for the other dockers running on latest and I get a similar message about bintray:

Code:
*** Running /etc/my_init.d/25-upgrade-gentuner...
--2021-07-25 01:57:51-- https://bintray.com/artifact/download/opensagetv/sagetv-plugins/GenericTunerPluginLinux/gentuner-1.0.1.tgz
Resolving bintray.com (bintray.com)... 108.168.194.93
Connecting to bintray.com (bintray.com)|108.168.194.93|:443... connected.
HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 403 Forbidden
2021-07-25 01:57:51 ERROR 403: Forbidden.
Old 07-24-2021, 08:41 PM
Sage Icon

Right… if you read the thread linked in the post above you would see that Bintray has gone away. Stuckless tried to update the dockers but Java 7 is no longer available and something appears to be broken with the Java 8 docker. It’s a shame because Java 8 is generally the best version to use with Sage these days.

Sage itself seems to work with almost any version of Java, but many of the plugins only work with certain versions.
Source:
Comcast/Xfinity X1 Cable
Primary Client: Server Other Clients: (1) HD200, (1) HD300
Retired Equipment: MediaMVP, PVR150 (x2), PVR150MCE,
HDHR, HVR-2250, HD-PVR
Old 07-24-2021, 09:24 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flips View Post
Thanks for the reply. I tried the java 7, but I couldn't connect from the android app. How do you roll the docker back to 9.2.2? I put that in for sagetv version, but I got Error 403 forbidden when it tried to connect to bintray.

I checked the logs for the other dockers running on latest and I get a similar message about bintray:
Oh, I had a backup image of my docker (I use a backup script on Unraid), so I copied the files back over and then changed the docker container settings to Java 7 as @stuckless mentioned in https://forums.sagetv.com/forums/sho...9&postcount=10.

If you have a backup copy of your files, then you can stop the docker, copy over the files edit the container settings to show Java 7, start it up and see what happens.

When I initially had my issues, I tried Java 11 and 16 and both worked but a few things broke in my setup with each version. You might experiment a bit and see what happens.

I was lucky that I could just restore my files every time and try a new Java setup until I got things working again.
Old 07-26-2021, 09:56 AM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zogg View Post
Oh, I had a backup image of my docker [snip]
Oh I see.. yeah unfortunately I don't have that set up, but I should look at that.

Zogg, Tiki, Keith, Thanks for your help! During my last message I was troubleshooting for a couple of hours with different Java versions, etc.. At the very end I logged in to schedules direct to check my username and password was still working, and my account was paid up. When I did that I saw a message that they were current having some server down time... I went to sleep and tried the next morning and, it worked!

Where I ended up was updating to Java 16, schedules direct worked, and the android app worked. For me (actually my parents) that is all I needed. They don't use anything outside of the very basics, so we haven't run into anything that's broken yet... Possibly I will get a call in the next couple of days, we'll see..

Thanks again!
flips
Old 12-11-2021, 12:56 PM
Sage Advanced User

I have not opened SageTV for many months. Just knew it was running in Unraid's Docker since June and haven't looked at it for literally 5 months (summer, studying for new job, etc). Today I logged in and found no channel schedules from Schedules Direct were loading and nothing had recorded since mid-June. Basically nothing would tune, nothing would play, and nothing was on the schedule. When I deleted a tuner to trouble-shoot re-adding it I was getting the error "There was a problem communicating with the Schedules Direct Server" message.

I followed the instructions on this post to update to stuckless-sagetv-sever-java16 : https://forums.sagetv.com/forums/sho...9&postcount=10

All seems good again!

I'm posting since it took a good 2 hours of screwing around to finally realize that somehow my docker upgraded to an unsupported Java version for schedulesdirect.. Hopefully this saves someone some time, although everyone else probably already fixed this 5 months ago :/