SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Development and Customizations > SageTV v9 Customizations
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV v9 Customizations This forums is for discussing and sharing user-created modifications for the SageTV version 9 application created by using the SageTV Studio or through the use of external plugins. Use this forum to discuss plugins for SageTV version 9 and newer.

Old 08-19-2021, 07:44 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeithAbbott View Post
I've been doing some checking into Bitwarden, and have imported all of my bookmarks into BW (sure wish they had a way to sync browser bookmarks with vault entries). Now I'm turning my attention to sites that I have a logon established at. Before I get too far, I want to make sure that I have a usable backup copy of all of my website URLs, logon IDs and passwords on the off-chance that bad things happen to Bitwarden. My thought is to periodically export the BW vault to a temporary .csv file, and then make an encrypted .zip or .7z file using 7-Zip's AES-256 encryption method. That way, if BW were to suffer a DDoS attack (or whatever else), I would have almost immediate access to my userIDs and passwords from my most recent backup copy. Any thoughts or suggestions on a better way to accomplish the goal?

You probably have a good idea there. While I haven't had an issue with Bitwarden, it does make sense to plan for the "worse case" scenario.

Bitwarden has a built in "export" option (found under Tools/Export Vault). It will output a CSV file or a JSON file (both an unencrypted and an encrypted option). If the encrypted JSON file meets your needs, it will certainly be much easier to just use it and have one-click export and import functionality.

PS - I'm glad you are exploring the use of a password management system. I didn't use one myself until one day a few years ago when I started getting two-step authentication codes for a lot of the services I use. I quickly realized that someone was actively trying to log into various sites/services using compromised information. I was super lucky I had two-step authentication turned on for a lot of the social media sites or it would have been a very bad day. Not only did the two-step authentication stop them from accessing the more important services (like email - if they get your email, they have the keys to the kingdom since they could request password changes for any site/service and they generally send them to your email), but it actually alerted me to the fact that there was an active attack on my online identity. As it was, I quickly signed up for a password management service and started changing passwords to hard unique passwords.

I quickly found out that not only is using a password management service more secure, it is actually quicker to use in real life. Having the software automatically fill in my login credentials (not just for browser based logins, but even for apps on my phone, etc), is really convenient.
OpenDCT
HD-300 HD Extenders (hooked to my whole-house A/V system for synched playback on multiple TVs - great during a Superbowl party)
Amazon Firestick 4k and Nvidia Shield using the MiniClient
Using CQC to control it all

Last edited by sic0048; 08-19-2021 at 07:52 AM.
Old 08-19-2021, 07:58 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by sic0048 View Post
You probably have a good idea there. While I haven't had an issue with Bitwarden, it does make sense to plan for the "worse case" scenario.

Bitwarden has a built in "export" option (found under Tools/Export Vault). It will output a CSV file or a JSON file (both an unencrypted and an encrypted option). If the encrypted JSON file meets your needs, it will certainly be much easier to just use it and have one-click export and import functionality.

PS - I'm glad you are exploring the use of a password management system. I didn't use one myself until one day a few years ago when I started getting two-step authentication codes for a lot of the services I use. I quickly realized that someone was actively trying to log into various sites/services using compromised information. I was super lucky I had two-step authentication turned on for a lot of the social media sites or it would have been a very bad day. Not only did the two-step authentication stop them from accessing the more important services (like email - if they get your email, they have the keys to the kingdom since they could request password changes for any site/service and they generally send them to your email), but it actually alerted me to the fact that there was an active attack on my online identity. As it was, I quickly signed up for a password management service and started changing passwords to hard unique passwords.

I quickly found out that not only is using a password management service more secure, it is actually quicker to use in real life. Having the software automatically fill in my login credentials (not just for browser based logins, but even for apps on my phone, etc), is really convenient.
I know this is likely OT but thanks for mentioning Bitwarden. I have been using Keepass 2 for many years so am very familiar with the benefits of password management but like the UI and simplicity of BW and migrated completely yesterday. I am not a fan of most things cloud but BW has a self host solution so I implemented it on my unraid server using videos from Spaceinvader One. Very nice solution including a reverse proxy and now I have my own on site implementation of BW that I can access from all my device home and remote....cool. Thanks

K
Old 08-19-2021, 08:23 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by sic0048 View Post
If the encrypted JSON file meets your needs, it will certainly be much easier to just use it and have one-click export and import functionality.
My only concern with the encrypted JSON is whether it is usable outside of BW itself. In other words, is it usable/importable into a different password manager in the event of a worst case scenario with Bitmaster. Or can I decrypt the JSON myself and get to the underlying data. It scares me to think that all of my userids and passwords are tied/locked to a single vendor, I want options in case of an unforeseeable problem with that vendor.
Miscellaneous: Multiple Sony RM-VLZ620 Universal Remote Controls