SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > General Discussion > General Discussion
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

General Discussion General discussion about SageTV and related companies, products, and technologies.

Old 01-12-2022, 11:28 AM
Sage Icon

Paid OTA

Here's an interesting video about the current and future state of paid OTA television: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b8Ez3GFZnYw
Miscellaneous: Multiple Sony RM-VLZ620 Universal Remote Controls
Old 01-12-2022, 12:35 PM
SageTVaholic

Interesting. Those of us across the border in Canada might like the opportunity to get channels like ESPN if they ever became paid OTA. Technically we would not be allowed to do so, but you could likely get away with paying via Paypal and using a US address. Just like many folks from outside of the US use VPNs to access US only services.

I can pull in Toronto and Buffalo OTA channels with my antenna, and I could also get Rochester channels if I wanted with another antenna aimed farther east. Most Canadian live close to the US border so are close enough.

I always thought it was dumb that cable channels charge you for carrying the major networks that are available free OTA. There should be a cable package that is cheaper that excludes the OTA channels and is several dollars cheaper.

@KeithAbbott - Do you pull in channels from Windsor, Ontario on your antenna (assuming that you have one).
Old 01-12-2022, 01:28 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayner View Post
@KeithAbbott - Do you pull in channels from Windsor, Ontario on your antenna (assuming that you have one).
I do have an antenna (mounted in my attic), but I am in the process of upgrading to a better one. It will still be in the attic, not only to keep it out of sight but also to avoid it getting damaged by the elements. The downside of having an attic antenna is that the signal strength/quality takes a bit of a hit. Also, the location of my house gives me an almost straight shot to the major local signal towers, but the major Canadian tower is not in that path. I can pull in CBET, but there are occasional artifacts, so I tend to just stick with CBET via cable television. The main thing that I would watch Canadian channels for is sports; especially olympics, which will be coming soon. US sports broadcasts just have too much fluff in them...
Miscellaneous: Multiple Sony RM-VLZ620 Universal Remote Controls
Old 01-12-2022, 02:15 PM
SageTVaholic

Yes, the Canadian Olympic coverage is way better. I am a bit NE of downtown Toronto and due North of Buffalo so one antenna is able to pick up both. It used to be in my attic but a few years ago I mounted it on the exterior wall at the peak of my roof so it looks out over my roof.

I am pretty far from some of the Buffalo transmitters, as much as 81 miles, but I get very good reception, other than things like heavy thunderstorms.
Old 01-12-2022, 03:10 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeithAbbott View Post
US sports broadcasts just have too much fluff in them...
Give a choice I don't know any Canadian who'd watch the Superbowl on a Canadian channel and miss the American commercials.

I found that CBC Gem not CBC was the place to watch the last Olympics. There was even a great Kodi addon. VPN users could probably have accessed it too.

Martin
Old 01-12-2022, 03:15 PM
SageTVaholic

That's true for the Super bowl commercials. But that point is moot if you can pick up the US network OTA as the simsub rules don't apply in that instance..

This past summer you could watch any Olympic activity via the CBC website or their app - it was great because you got to choose exactly what you wanted. Some of the coverage didn't have broadcasters or you were listening to the international feed, but that was fine.