SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 08-06-2004, 10:05 AM
Sage User

My first day with SageTV

Hi,

I want to share with you my first day with SageTV.

My hardware is : Pundit (2.6GHz Celeron, 512 Mb RAM), PVR 250, 3COM Wifi PCMCIA card, HD 200Gb

I first tried to install MythTV but had a lot of problems with my tuner.

I installed SageTV 2.0 with the XMLTV plugin (belgian grabber, thanks to nielm) this morning. With the graceful help of these forums everything was easy (XMLTV adapter, SageWake, ...)

I have to say that I'm really impressed. The quality is very good and everything works just like it has to be ... It's very rare with computers ;-)

I have only three little issues (but nothing fatal and I think not SageTV fault):

- The sound of DVD player is completely lagging ... I suppose it's because I don't have a good DVD decoder ? Wich are you running ? (For free or near if possible)
- I can take back the computer from standby (S3 I think) only when I push on the power button ... I'll like to do it with my Hauppauge remote. Is it possible ?
- Finaly, I have some Divx with two audio tracks (french and english). When I play it with SageTV, I hear the two tracks in the same time, but if I play it in the Divx player I just have french track. Is it possible to tell SageTV to use the french track ?

I'll let run SageTV the next few days to make sure everything is OK, then I'll buy it with pleasure :-)

Nelis
Old 08-06-2004, 11:14 AM
SageTVaholic

free is dscaler 5
good is cineplayer surround for full analogue 5.1 output
Old 08-07-2004, 06:03 AM
Sage User

DScaler don't seems to be a DVD decoder .... Or am I looking at the wrong product ? http://deinterlace.sourceforge.net

SageTV 4.1.12.84, overlay renderer, WinDVD 6 decoder
Old 08-07-2004, 06:36 AM
SageTVaholic

Dscaler 5 Decoders are in alpha: http://deinterlace.sourceforge.net/p...pic.php?t=3440
Old 08-07-2004, 06:55 AM
SageTVaholic

http://www.dscaler.org/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=3440
Old 08-07-2004, 07:57 AM
Sage Advanced User

Could the sound be lagging because you may have DirectSound selected? Try another audio renderer that does not use this "feature".

Regards,

Beau
Old 08-07-2004, 10:11 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally posted by nelis
DScaler don't seems to be a DVD decoder .... Or am I looking at the wrong product ? http://deinterlace.sourceforge.net
Quote:
Originally posted by salsbst
Dscaler 5 Decoders are in alpha: http://deinterlace.sourceforge.net/...opic.php?t=3440
However the decoders aren't "DVD decoders" in that they can't decode encrypted DVDs. They'll play Sage recordings fine, but you'll need to strip the CSS from any DVD you want to play.

As for lagging sound, try different renderers.

Waking from S3, I don't know.

And the DivX files, there's nothing I'm aware of in Sage to select which audio. Do they play OK in WMP?
Old 08-07-2004, 11:57 AM
Sage User

Mmh, I have to find a decoder with deCSS beacause I want to drop my old DVD player ;-)

I will try the different audio renderers tonight.

The Divx have the same problem in WMP than with SageTV, they only play well on the Divx player included with the codecs. But it's not a big problem, I only have 4 Divx with this problem so ... ;-)

The day 2 with SageTV was nice too. I've watched two shows recorded yesterday and a Divx. The quality is really really good. My girlfriend was also happy with the quality and the ease of use, that's a good sign :-)

SageTV 4.1.12.84, overlay renderer, WinDVD 6 decoder
Old 08-07-2004, 02:21 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally posted by nelis
Mmh, I have to find a decoder with deCSS beacause I want to drop my old DVD player ;-)
Just curious, what decoders do you have?

Quote:
I will try the different audio renderers tonight.
Hopefully that will help. If not, have you messed with the A/V sync settings? I'm not suggesting you should necessarily, but if you have it could cause a problem.

Quote:
The Divx have the same problem in WMP than with SageTV, they only play well on the Divx player included with the codecs. But it's not a big problem, I only have 4 Divx with this problem so ... ;-)
I suspect the DivX player isn't a Dshow player and does special things with DivX files. Sage works essentially like WMP or Zoomplayer for playing media files.

Quote:
The day 2 with SageTV was nice too. I've watched two shows recorded yesterday and a Divx. The quality is really really good. My girlfriend was also happy with the quality and the ease of use, that's a good sign :-)
Cool
Old 08-07-2004, 02:24 PM
Sage Icon

You could try Anydvd, by Slysoft. It removes the CSS from all DVD's that are put in the drive. Then the non-css players will work just fine with 'em.
Old 08-07-2004, 05:21 PM
SageTVaholic

there are cheap DVD decoder as well
you can buy DVD decoder packs from cyberlink, intervideo, and sonic

each is 15 dollars
I think sonic is my favorite
but trial the player version(powerDVD, winDVD, cineplayer) to see which you would like best to use with SageTV

you could just rip the DVDs also using DVDshrink or smartripper and you can play them with noncss decoders

did your DVD rom or any other hardware not come with an OEM version of winDVD, powerDVD, or cineplayer on a CD????

Divx is a directshow filter
Old 08-07-2004, 05:45 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally posted by kny3twalker
cineplayer) to see which you would like best to use with SageTV
Just so you aren't surprised, the Cineplayer decoders won't work outside Cineplayer (ie in Sage) without being activated (payed for). But you can play recordings/DVDs in Cineplayer to see what they'll look like.

Quote:
Divx is a directshow filter
I was referring to the DivX player, I don't think it uses directshow filters for playback. Sage however (and WMP) does use the DivX directshow player for playback.
Old 08-07-2004, 06:31 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Just so you aren't surprised, the Cineplayer decoders won't work outside Cineplayer (ie in Sage) without being activated (payed for). But you can play recordings/DVDs in Cineplayer to see what they'll look like.
forgot to mention that