SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > General Discussion > General Discussion
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

General Discussion General discussion about SageTV and related companies, products, and technologies.

Old 08-14-2004, 09:46 AM

Question Need Help: Burning Quality DVDs

I am having trouble with my burned DVD movies.

I recorded a Pay-per view movie with my Hauppauge WinTV-250 Card using SageTV 2.0 software with the Record Quality set at Great - 2GB. The recorded video file looks crisp when viewing it on my PC.

I am using Roxio Easy CD Creater 6's DVD Builder program to burning the mpeg file to DVD. The only problem that I have with the program is that it states my Video Birate may not be suitable for television play. It lets me burn the file anyway.

After waiting 2 hours for the video to burn, I place the burned movie into my Sony DVD player and experience grainny video! What am I doing wrong?

Last edited by sdogg1m; 08-14-2004 at 09:57 AM.
Old 08-14-2004, 10:11 AM
Sage User

You should select to record at DVD settings unders detailed setup. I record all my shows at 3.25g dvd setting. I have burned a couple to DVDs, and they played fine on my Sony stand alone DVD player. I dont think the quality will ever be as good as DVD you purchased retail.
Old 08-14-2004, 10:56 AM

I could capture at even higher quality even MPEG2 max which 5.6 GB per hour but how would I burn it to a 4.7GB DVD?

Anyway, I have spent over $400 on Video Capture equipment/DVD Burner/etc. and will not be satisfied with grainy video.

My System is a:
P4 2.2 Ghz
512MB Ram
WinXP
GeForce Ti4600 128MB Video
Santa Cruz Audio Card
TDK 880N DVDRW

Last edited by sdogg1m; 08-14-2004 at 11:01 AM.
Old 08-14-2004, 11:05 AM
Administrator

I believe the point was to use one of the DVD encoding settings as your Recording Quality in Detailed Setup -> Multimedia. (Whether that will help playback quality on the DVD player, I don't know.)

Also, see: Need Help making DVDs!

For more threads, do a search for: dvd burning.

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 08-14-2004, 12:32 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
After waiting 2 hours for the video to burn, I place the burned movie into my Sony DVD player and experience grainny video! What am I doing wrong?
thats cause it is reencoding the movie before it burns it

do you have an option in Roxio to not reencode?

the Ulead software that omes with the pvr 250 has that option

try it
Old 08-16-2004, 04:32 PM
Sage Advanced User

Hi,

Looks like you are trying to reencode the video- and that may be the source of your problems!

Try using the Ulead Movie Factory 2, that must have come with your Hauppauge card. Other thing that you might want to give a shot if you dont have Ulead is VirtualDub.

If you have no other choice- check if you have the right codecs installed for such conversions- Try some conversions using both softwares - see if there is a difference (You can manually select the codecs in Virtual Dub- don't know about others). A final option is to look into the software's default settings that it likes for DVD video burning- and capture your video closest to that format...to minimize if not completely eliminate the reencoding.....you will have to perform some framerate/ audo rate analysis to check out that compatibility if you want a one step result with your present software....vcdhelp.com is a good forum for starting off on such issues if you really care to take that long route. I would highly recommend giving Ulead Movie Factory a try before you do anything else-

Last edited by naln; 08-16-2004 at 04:35 PM.
Old 08-17-2004, 07:47 AM
Sage Aficionado

If you don't record the show at one of the "DVD" compatible settings, your software will *always* reencode it.

If your software reencodes it, you will *always* lose quality.

Does not matter if the setting you choose is a higher bitrate. Reencoding makes it look bad.

Personally, I record at 3.25, then use VideoRedo to cut out commercials. Second, TMPGenc DVDAuthor to create a DVD file layout with menus and all, and finally, if it comes in over 4.7 gig, I use DVDShrink to make it fit on a CD.

So far, all have looked just fine.

HTH,
Rob