SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 08-17-2004, 10:52 AM
Sage User

Question Properties file

Hi,

I'm having trouble editing the sage.properties file - everytime I make changes with Notepad and save them, the next time I start up Sage TV any changes I made are disregarded and the properties file is replaced with an "original".

How is this happening and how can I prevent it?

Thanks very much in advance!
Old 08-17-2004, 10:57 AM
Administrator

Are you editing the file when SageTV is closed or just sleeping? You have to completely exit SageTV. If ou did exit, is Word Wrap turned off in Notepad?

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 08-18-2004, 12:46 PM
Sage User

Definitely not in Sleep Mode... I don't have Sage TV running at all when I'm editing the properties file... I've seen this problem come up before here, all with Sage TV not being run.

I am not entirely sure if word wrap is on or off, but I suspect it's on. I'll try to make the changes with word wrap off and see what happens.

Thanks for your help, I appreciate it!
Old 08-18-2004, 01:25 PM
SageTVaholic

If the format of the properties file is not valid, the backup is used. Something about what you are doing must be causing the properties file to be invalid.
Old 08-18-2004, 01:36 PM
Administrator

What salsbst said (thanks) is why I mentioned making sure Word Wrap is off -- if those lines get split, I'm sure it will be seen as corrupt... and none of us like corruption.

- Andy
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 08-18-2004, 02:13 PM
SageTVaholic

If you can't find it, just post the lines that you have modifyied so we can take a look.
Old 08-20-2004, 10:19 PM
Sage User

Hi,

Tried turning off Word Wrap in the properties file to no avail, my changes still weren't recognized. If I didn't mention it before, I'm trying to add VCD quality to the Recording Quality list (the reason being, for now, I'm on limited space for recordings). I added the following two lines to the properties file, and they "automatically" were sorted alphabetically the next time I opened the properties file. The VCD settings are not present whatsoever when I start up Sage TV:

mmc/python2_encoding/=VCD\=videobitrate\=1520000|width\=352|height\=240|audiobitrate\=224|outputstreamtype\=11|audiosampling\=44100

seeker/recording_qualities/VCD=VCD,224,44100,1520000

Does that seem to be correct...?

Thanks so much!
Old 08-20-2004, 10:20 PM
Sage User

Ugh, just a note to the above, the posting got a bit screwed up - there are no spaces to the mmc line, and all of it is on one line in my properties file.
Sorry 'bout that.
Old 08-20-2004, 10:28 PM
Administrator

Check out the examples in this FAQ entry. I don't know what the VCD settings ought to be, but it looks like the python line is either missing some details and/or contains extra stuff, such as that '=' in front of 'VCD'. Essentially: double check your syntax.

- Andy
Old 08-21-2004, 06:15 AM
SageTVaholic

I think that this:

/ =VCD\=videobitrate

should look like this:

/VCD=videobitrate
Old 08-24-2004, 10:37 AM
Sage User

I believe it now works! I can now see and select the VCD quality recording settings and after a brief test of it, it does appear to work fine. My syntax was indeed incorrect.

Thanks to salsbst and Opus4 for the assistance, I appreciate the help tremendously!