SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Development and Customizations > SageTV Customizations
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Customizations This forums is for discussing and sharing user-created modifications for the SageTV application created by using the SageTV Studio or through the use of external plugins. Use this forum to discuss customizations for SageTV version 6 and earlier, or for the SageTV3 UI.

Old 08-19-2004, 04:44 PM
Sage Advanced User

Anything new on the MVP front?

I have mine working at home put on the latest updates from hauppauge on it so now it plays the Divx codex as well. Also just FYI for all here, I have a 1.4GHz T-Bird with 1GB ram thats my SageTV Server, the MVP server, and also my client for my room, so at one point I was recording a show, watching a recorded show in my room through the xCard, and downstairs they were watching a Divx show without any issues. I am stoked with the device. So my questions and point of all this is this...

Has anyone made any cool mods for it to navigate a bit better and also get rid of the lame screensaver?

How is the MVP client that I heard was being ported from a similar project from BTV coming along?

I know we heard from the brothers a bit ago that they aren't saying anything...but is there ANY rumor or ideas on when something is coming out for the MVP?!

This project is 90% there! For me I can use it easily, but for the non-techies its that last 10% thats making this such an issue.
Old 08-20-2004, 10:30 AM
Sage Advanced User

Silence is deafening here....

This really sucks not to have any idea WTF is going on with this.
Old 08-20-2004, 11:45 AM
SageTVaholic

Official answer as of 2 weeks or so ago:
http://forums.sage.tv/forums/showthr...2292#post52292
Closely followed by a post from a Sage user who is writing his own MVP mod:
http://forums.sage.tv/forums/showthr...2300#post52300
Old 08-20-2004, 02:05 PM

He's part of that thread you referenced. It's just another case of people expecting weekly updates. It's very simple when there is news they(Frey) will make a new "official" post. It doesn't bother me so much when these questions are asked a month or two after the last update from Frey, but... Posts asking for updates just a week or two later are counterproductive. The whole reason many of these redundant posts/attitudes exist is because Frey was too open with info earlier in their business growth cycle. As I stated in a recent post Frey seems to have learned from those circumstances and is now appropriatly more conservative with their statements. The last thing we need is more posts about "potential" future plans or dates, until Frey is reasonable sure they can meet them. We don't need to repeat past mistakes.

In simple terms patience.

As for people with Studio access making progress on a user created MVP client, which I believe the first post may have been aimed at... Mlbdude was the one taking the lead on exposing the needed data for users to adapt the BTV client for SageTV. Since he's been busy moving recently, things may have temporarily slowed down. I selfiously hope he won't be away from this area for long though. The real question is will the BTV code be easily ported to Sage or will it require substantial reworking. Only the people involved really know that and I imagine they find new areas to work on all the time. I'm sure they will let us know when they have something worth trying by SageTV users. These are highly motivated users so I'm sure they'll ask for testers, advice or feedback as needed/appropriate.

PS:My apologies to anyone if the first paragraph comes off as terse. I'm used to seeing a lot of duplicate threads asking/begging for the same thing over and over. And sometimes I accidentally carry over an attitude from one thread(I'd just read) to another. I decided to edit this post to add these last 2 paragraphs to clarify my statements. I didn't edit the first paragraph since I feel it is dihonest to edit a post once it's been available to others to read. If you later feel/realize you misread the post and gave an answer that was less than appropriate then you should clarify/correct your stance, not erase the evidence. I dislike rewriting history, and felt editing the first paragraph would be dishonest.

Last edited by justme; 08-20-2004 at 04:41 PM.
Old 08-20-2004, 05:26 PM
Sage Advanced User

Eh...I'm certainly not offended. Whats irritating is that its close to a year when they said they had a working client on a MVP. I just find it aggravating. Not to mention *I* have to answer these questions for others that I am trying to do these projects for or especially my roommate who is also investing in this but doesn't have the tech knowledge. How do I explain, "Well they had something working a year ago, but they can't be bothered to release it or tell us when they will relase it. But be patient, they are doing something, but damned if I know what it is or when we will know..."

Thats exactly how it sounds to the people I talk to.

Like I said before, I have 2 groups that I am part of where I am writing up my experiences with this project. Right now if it had MVP support and xCard support I can get them to make an all in one server that would just work with a firefly remote on the server and hardly ever have to look at the desktop. Hell my machine hasn't needed a reboot yet after a month and a half. Yet these 2 things make it from a good product to a cool hobby....
Old 08-21-2004, 06:30 AM
Sage Icon

Well, although this is off-topic for this thread. I think the new 'we're not communicating' policy of Frey is bull****.

The falacy is the argument that 'well they communicated, now people are complaining they didn't meet targets'. That is only true because they refuse to give any kind of updates.

I've been on TONS of beta where the company missed the target dates. Most are sensible enough to simply give an update with an updated target. 95% of the customers, while disappointed, are fine with this and move on with life.

So in the meantime, I will continue to be content with the current version of Sage TV. However I am actively looking at other products from companies that seem a little more customer friendly. Plus there are still a LOT of gaps in the product that I have no idea will ever be addressed since Frey won't talk to us anymore. Oh well.

Back to watching TV.

Jason Bottjen
Old 08-21-2004, 07:13 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
I've been on TONS of beta where the company missed the target dates. Most are sensible enough to simply give an update with an updated target. 95% of the customers, while disappointed, are fine with this and move on with life.
meedio just had to do this
for there TV module

they said the TV module was going to be delayed

the informed what features
and what would be the future upgrades/updates

and about the area these are expected

I was really surprised after being in the dark here

I think that was an excellent model to follow

and SageTV should

and justme

you are getting really upset over nothing

I think Frey should let us know whats going on

if they can give us a around about date
for Studio, MVP client, Web scheduling and such

then maybe they should come by and give a weekly update

I think most of us would understand if they had to delay

and at least it would not be always on our minds

if they gave a date

Quote:
I think the new 'we're not communicating' policy of Frey is bull****.
I agree and not much we can do
other than express our feelings and opinions

http://www.meedio.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=17305

is something like this unreasonable?
Old 08-21-2004, 11:02 AM
SageTVaholic

Apologies for posting information that you already knew about x[corwyn]...

I know it is annoying not to know the full roadmap for Sage for the next month/6 months/year/decade/whatever , but the PC-PVR marketplace is becomming crowded with products such as BTV, Sage, Showshifter, GB-PVR, MeedioTV, and MS's MCE (not to mention freevo and myth and a few other)...

Maybe Frey are keeping quiet so that the competition does not know what is next on their feature list -- after all if Sage releases a 'killer feature' before everyone else, they will get new users that the other products may not get...
Old 08-21-2004, 11:03 AM

I would like for Frey to be able to put out as much information as possible on what they are currently working on and when they think it will be done. Problem is they are really small and their dates are very difficult to guess.

As we have seen here before, putting out that information has not worked since too many users hold them to those guesses. Since that has not worked, they are trying something else - the complete opposite.

I hope in time they will be able to move a little more towards the middle ground on that, but for now I understand that it is better for their business to keep quiet.
Old 08-21-2004, 06:51 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally posted by nielm
Apologies for posting information that you already knew about x[corwyn]...

I know it is annoying not to know the full roadmap for Sage for the next month/6 months/year/decade/whatever , but the PC-PVR marketplace is becomming crowded with products such as BTV, Sage, Showshifter, GB-PVR, MeedioTV, and MS's MCE (not to mention freevo and myth and a few other)...

Maybe Frey are keeping quiet so that the competition does not know what is next on their feature list -- after all if Sage releases a 'killer feature' before everyone else, they will get new users that the other products may not get...
I would say communication is important BECAUSE there are so many other PVR projects out there. I already bought Sage, though I am now regretting not trying out GBPVR first before putting cash to them. MVP support isn't exactly a "Killer Feature", its been talked about too much and too many people are working on them now. I honestly think this is a great product, however I will not sign off on it because its still missing the necessary ability to be easy for non-techies to use. And for here that means an easy client in the form of MVP or showstopper support. Granted I'm not a patient person usually but nothing irks me before than the classic non-committal "Well we can't tell you what we are doing but when you finally see it, you are gonna love it!" type of sales talk. It just reeks of NDAs to me which I hope doesn't mean they were bought out or something. Ugh. If I had time this weekend I would have shut down the sage server and installed GBPVR just to get the MVP to work with it. Im tired of having my roommates ask me when this thing is going to be easier to use and I can't give them a good answer because MY source can't talk to me. It makes me look bad and not know what I am talking about and I hate it when people do that to me.
Old 08-22-2004, 01:37 AM
SageTVaholic

this looks like some kind of beta support

http://www.shspvr.com/forum/viewtopi...r=asc&start=15

maybe you could help with this
or this can help you
Old 08-22-2004, 06:47 AM

The MVP can currently be pointed at Sage's video directory & play pre-recorded shows though, correct? The only thing it can't do is play live tv?
Old 08-22-2004, 06:49 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Grey_Goose
The MVP can currently be pointed at Sage's video directory & play pre-recorded shows though, correct? The only thing it can't do is play live tv?
Not unless someone comes up with an MVP skin to do LiveTV. They would also need to do an EPG using a data dump similar to what I have provided for LiveTV and Sage Recordings.