SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 09-13-2004, 10:59 PM
Sage Icon

Question SageTV Announcement

I guess this is directed to Sage ...

Looks like a new version of SageTV that supports the new Plextor PVR is officially on it's way. The new PVR supports MPEG-4 and DivX. So, my question is this;

If you already have a Hauppauge PVR 250 and you add the Plextor, how can you direct certain shows that you want the higher quality with to the Plextor card?

Thanks, T.
Old 09-13-2004, 11:00 PM
SageTVaholic

I assume the same way you do now, encoder merit.
Old 09-14-2004, 05:53 AM

Also keep in mind that the Plextor recordings will always be of LOWER quality than the 250's since it will be compressing the data even more. However, at a high MPEG4 bit-rate you should be able to get close enough results that it would more than justify the slight quality loss for the huge decrease in file size.
Old 09-14-2004, 09:18 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally posted by stanger89
I assume the same way you do now, encoder merit.
OK ... So how is that done?

Man ... learn something new everyday with Sage

Thanks, T.
Old 09-14-2004, 09:19 AM
Sage Icon

I'm just wondering how well it will mix different cards.... (Hopefully well).

For instance, I hope that it will seemlessly work with:
2 PVR250's
1 Plextor

etc. Without having to figure out how to manage it. It should, I would think.

Also, I am concerned that it will break a number of things (like my beloved COMSKIP)...

Jason Bottjen
Old 09-14-2004, 09:20 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally posted by mlbdude
Also keep in mind that the Plextor recordings will always be of LOWER quality than the 250's since it will be compressing the data even more. However, at a high MPEG4 bit-rate you should be able to get close enough results that it would more than justify the slight quality loss for the huge decrease in file size.
Dude ... Hope your move went well ... How's you back!

Hmmm ... so given the choice, if you were buying new for the first time today would you go with the Hauppauge or Plextor???

Thanks, T.
Old 09-14-2004, 09:23 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by mightyt
OK ... So how is that done?
With this property:
Quote:
mmc/encoders/XXX/encoder_merit - used to determine which capture device is 'preferred' when all other things are equal, higher numbers mean better
Almost all of the properties are listed on the SageTV Configuration page in this document: SageTV Configuration Properties.

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 09-14-2004, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by mightyt
Dude ... Hope your move went well ... How's you back!

Hmmm ... so given the choice, if you were buying new for the first time today would you go with the Hauppauge or Plextor???

Thanks, T.
Move is done. Hurricane Frances tore us a new one. Lost poer for 8 days .

The question of quality would come down to HD space I think. If I wanted the best quality I would go with the Hauppauge though.
Some people on AVSForums won't even use MPEG2 and still use RAW capture since MPEG2 is compressed as well.

However, I would still like to use both since on some shows that you record allot of (Simpsons, South Park) it would be nice to have smaller file sizes.
Old 09-14-2004, 10:17 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally posted by mlbdude
I'm gona have to dissagree with you on that one (unless you're speaking from experience.

It's pretty well agreed that by converting an MPEG-2 to DivX the quality will drop, but that's because you're approximating an aproximation. However this will be different, they will both be "first generation" (on our PCs at least) approximations, and given the same source, MPEG-4 should be able to give equal PQ with less bitrate.

I'll agree that if you choose something like 900kbps (like single-cd movies) it will be crap, but if you go with something like 2Mbps, it should be about equivalent to MPEG-2 at about 1/3 to 1/4 the size.

Of course there are other vairiables, like maybe the compressor on the ConverteX is crap and everything will suck, but I just saw Jeff comment on AVS that he get's good results at 1/3 MPEG-2 size.
Old 09-14-2004, 10:21 AM

I am not saying the PQ will be crap. Just basing it on the fact that the source will be compressed even more than it is with MPEG2.

If I can get 99% of the quality I get now with 1/3 the file size, I am in .

My comments are more toward don't buy this expecting to get better quality than you have now.
Old 09-14-2004, 10:25 AM
SageTVaholic

In theory, you should be able to get >100% of the MPEG-2 quality if you go with MPEG-2-ish bitrates. Like, given the same source, 6Mbps MPEG-4 should theoretically be better than 6Mbps MPEG-2.

I'm definitely going to have to try one of these
Old 09-14-2004, 10:38 AM
Administrator

I keep wondering whether an Xcard will play these mpeg4/divx files, like it should be able to I'll certainly agree that even if the image is only _slightly_ worse with a much smaller file, I would be interested in giving it a try.

- Andy
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 09-14-2004, 10:39 AM
SageTVaholic

If it can play DivX (it can AFIAK) then it should be able to play DivX's from the Plextor.
Old 09-14-2004, 10:41 AM
Administrator

That's why I added the comment "like it should be able to"... the specs say it can, but I never trust specs 100% until someone tries it.

- Andy
Old 09-14-2004, 10:49 AM
Sage

stanger89 is right about the quality. In the testing I've been doing (a lot as you'd imagine) I'm constantly amazed at the quality levels I'm seeing at the reduced bitrates.

IMHO DivX/MPEG4 at 1/2 to 1/3 the bitrate yields about the same quality as MPEG2.
Old 09-14-2004, 10:53 AM
Administrator

That would be great then -- so much more recordable on the same drive space!

- Andy
Old 09-14-2004, 11:11 AM
SageTVaholic

My main HTPC is just able to do tearless VMR9 with MPEG2@~5Mbps.

It is my understanding that at similar quality levels, MPEG4 and DivX require more CPU. Thus, I'm concerned that I won't be able to use these fancy schmancy codecs.

Somebody console me or alleviate my fears, please?

Last edited by salsbst; 09-14-2004 at 11:13 AM.
Old 09-14-2004, 11:16 AM
Sage Icon

Jeez, now who am I gonna sell these tuners I already have to so I can replace 'em with Plextors???

*EDIT* What's the difference between the TV402U and the 402U? One has a tuner, one doesn't?

Last edited by heffe2001; 09-14-2004 at 11:20 AM.
Old 09-14-2004, 11:32 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally posted by salsbst
My main HTPC is just able to do tearless VMR9 with MPEG2@~5Mbps.

It is my understanding that at similar quality levels, MPEG4 and DivX require more CPU. Thus, I'm concerned that I won't be able to use these fancy schmancy codecs.

Somebody console me or alleviate my fears, please?
While CPU usage plays a role, I believe other factors like your video card play a larger role in VMR9 tearing.

For example, it makes no difference what CPU usage is on my box, I always get tearing with VMR9.
Old 09-14-2004, 11:33 AM
SageTVaholic

Jeff,

Here's one for ya Does the plextor capture progressive or interlaced MPEG4? Or more importantly, how's the deinterlacing with it?