SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 09-17-2004, 01:47 PM

Question Have some questions on SageTV

Greetings.

I'm trying to figure out if SageTV is right for what I want to do and what else I need to get.

(all of my questions assume that I'm not using the cool network functionality of SageTV)

1. I want to have a computer next to my television that can act as a PVR for DirecTV. (no need to record one channel while i watch a second). I want the picture to look just as good as it does now (S-Video connection) and I want the Dolby Pro-logic sound to work as well. It seems SageTV is capable of this if i have the right hardware, is that true?

2. To play DVDs on this computer, will I have to have any software besides SageTV?

3. I want to use a remote control with SageTV. My DirecTV receiver does not have a serial port on it, only what appears to be a phone jack for data input. is there a connecter I can get to make this work or do I have to buy a new DirecTV receiver?

4. I currently have a Geforce4 MX 440 with an S-Video output. Will this card give me good picture quality? (if not do you have reccomendations for a different card)

5. I was considering buying a Hauppauge PVR-250 MCE for my tuner card. Hauppauge has ignored my emails with questions for them on its capabilities. Can it record the Dolpy Pro-Logic sound from my DirecTV? Would I need to buy a seperate sound card for that? The PVR-250 (non-MCE) comes with a remote control but different sound inputs. Would that one work for me?

6. I'm currently using optical connections from my dvd player to my receiver, can you guys recommend a decent sound card that has optical outputs?

Thanks!
Old 09-17-2004, 02:18 PM
SageTVaholic

Re: Have some questions on SageTV

Quote:
Originally posted by zofran
Greetings.

I'm trying to figure out if SageTV is right for what I want to do and what else I need to get.

(all of my questions assume that I'm not using the cool network functionality of SageTV)

1. I want to have a computer next to my television that can act as a PVR for DirecTV. (no need to record one channel while i watch a second). I want the picture to look just as good as it does now (S-Video connection) and I want the Dolby Pro-logic sound to work as well. It seems SageTV is capable of this if i have the right hardware, is that true?
Yes.

Quote:
2. To play DVDs on this computer, will I have to have any software besides SageTV?
Yes and no, Sage includes a DVD interface, however Sage is unable to play anything without decoders. So with Sage and the right decoders you can play DVDs.

Quote:
3. I want to use a remote control with SageTV. My DirecTV receiver does not have a serial port on it, only what appears to be a phone jack for data input. is there a connecter I can get to make this work or do I have to buy a new DirecTV receiver?
If that "phone jack" says "Low Speed Data Port" or something similar, the it almost certainly is a serial port. However if you can't get Serial to work, you can use an IR transmitter (like the USB-UIRT) which will mimic you pressing buttons on the rmote control.

Quote:
4. I currently have a Geforce4 MX 440 with an S-Video output. Will this card give me good picture quality? (if not do you have reccomendations for a different card)
This is where it gets tricky, from what I've read, you probably won't be happy with it. The first thing I'll ask you is what type of TV you have?

I've heard good things about the Geforce FX 5200 TV-out. However if you have an HDTV you'll be better served with a better card.

Here's the tricky bit. By most/all accounts, the PVR 350 and Sigma Xcard have the best S-Video outputs, however there are limitations to both.

The 350 can only play MPEG video (no DVDs) and can be flaky when using the Sage UI through it.

The Xcard can play more media types, but doesn't support Sage's UI so you'd need to rig something up.

Quote:
5. I was considering buying a Hauppauge PVR-250 MCE for my tuner card. Hauppauge has ignored my emails with questions for them on its capabilities. Can it record the Dolpy Pro-Logic sound from my DirecTV?
Yes, Dolby Pro Logic - as far as the 250 is concerned - is just stereo, and it can record stereo. What it can't do, is record Dolby Digital.

Quote:
Would I need to buy a seperate sound card for that?
Nope, in fact you can't record from anything but the 250.

Quote:
The PVR-250 (non-MCE) comes with a remote control but different sound inputs. Would that one work for me?
Probably, essentially they have the same inputs, but different connectors, the 250 uses a stereo headphone jack instead of 2 RCA connectors for audio.

Quote:
6. I'm currently using optical connections from my dvd player to my receiver, can you guys recommend a decent sound card that has optical outputs?
The Chaintek AV-710 is the bang for the buck soundcard right now.

Quote:
Thanks!
Hope that helps, or at least inspires more questions
Old 09-18-2004, 08:43 AM

Thanks for the reply!

and more questions were inspired of course:

1. I have a decent 27" TV with S-Video input. Will I still need a card better then the Geforce4 MX 440 for this television? I still prefer to use S-Video out on a video card rather then the tuner so I can watch DVDs with it.

2. The 'phone jack' does say 'low speed data port', however, i don't have a connector that will go from a normal serial 'com' port on a computer to this type of input. Do those connectors exist? Is it something I can put together myself?

3. Can you guys recomend a decent software/hardware dvd decoder? (I don't need progressive scan outputs, but optical audio would be nice)

Thanks again!
Old 09-18-2004, 09:45 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
1. I have a decent 27" TV with S-Video input. Will I still need a card better then the Geforce4 MX 440 for this television? I still prefer to use S-Video out on a video card rather then the tuner so I can watch DVDs with it.
With s-video (which is a relatively low quality transport), it may not be worth getting a better card. I'd suggest starting with what you have and if there is a deficiency, then address it.

Quote:
2. The 'phone jack' does say 'low speed data port', however, i don't have a connector that will go from a normal serial 'com' port on a computer to this type of input. Do those connectors exist? Is it something I can put together myself?
Yes, I think that what you'd be looking for is an RS-232 to RJ11 cable with "straight through" pin outs, but don't quote me on that.

Quote:
3. Can you guys recomend a decent software/hardware dvd decoder? (I don't need progressive scan outputs, but optical audio would be nice)
In your situation, I'd just purchase a DVD decoder pack from either Sonic or Intervideo, and play DVDs through SageTV. If you find shortcomings in SageTV's DVD player, then I'd recommend Zoomplayer or TheaterTek 2.0. One advantage of TheaterTek 2.0 is that it comes with a coupon redeemable for a new set of decoders made by nVidia which are supposedly the best decoders out there. The only problem is that they are not you "out there", hence the coupon... you'd get them when they're released.
Old 09-18-2004, 12:06 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally posted by zofran
Thanks for the reply!

and more questions were inspired of course:

Can't say for sure (since I don't use S-Video) but the 440 is a pretty old card, and nVidia cards from that era were not well respected PQ wise. Something like a Geforce FX 5200 would probably be a nice upgrade.

Quote:
You could probably build your own:
http://www.dtvcontrol.com/index.aspx?content=cable
or Snapstream sells them.

Quote:
Yeah, I'll agree with stuart on this one, right now I'd get the Sonic decoder pack. Hopefully TT 2.0 and/or the nVidia 4.0 decoders will appear soon and then I'd probably get them.
Old 09-18-2004, 12:28 PM
Sage User

ZO,

re. your data port cable...if you're STB is an RCA the plug is what's called an RJ6 plug. Sometimes called an RJ11 4P4C. Nonetheless, this plug is smaller than what plugs into the back of the phone or in the wall jack, it's actually the plug used to go between the base and handset of the phone.

Trying to scavage one of these plugs from an old, curled, handset cord is very difficult (in my experience) because the wire strands are braided around a nylon core to create the curling effect. If you have a set of crimpers you can pick up a bag of 4P4C ends and connect them to the DB9 (RS232) cable yourself.