SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Development and Customizations > SageTV Customizations
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Customizations This forums is for discussing and sharing user-created modifications for the SageTV application created by using the SageTV Studio or through the use of external plugins. Use this forum to discuss customizations for SageTV version 6 and earlier, or for the SageTV3 UI.

Old 09-25-2004, 01:21 PM
Sage Icon

Question Java Question for STV Developers

More an more I have gained respect for those developing their Sage STV's on this forum ... I assume some of you have been programmers for years. Considering this, a thought came to me (that happens now and then) ... It might be fun to fool with this a little ... but, not being an officially programmer scares me. Folks like me who are familiar with the ol'DOS days, batch files, BasicA (I know I am the only one that remembers that!!), early VB and some other scripting here and there.

So, what amount of knowledge is sufficient to mod STV's considering Studio would also be available? Would I need just some basic Java training, moderate or advanced?? Would a CD CBT or online course do it ... or should I just leave it to the experts??? Not sure if will ever really go there, but it's crossing my mind ....

Oh ... I am assuming even if you had Studio, you need some Java background. Is that a safe assumption??

Thanks for any advice ... T.
Old 09-25-2004, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mightyt
More an more I have gained respect for those developing their Sage STV's on this forum ... I assume some of you have been programmers for years. Considering this, a thought came to me (that happens now and then) ... It might be fun to fool with this a little ... but, not being an officially programmer scares me. Folks like me who are familiar with the ol'DOS days, batch files, BasicA (I know I am the only one that remembers that!!), early VB and some other scripting here and there.

So, what amount of knowledge is sufficient to mod STV's considering Studio would also be available? Would I need just some basic Java training, moderate or advanced?? Would a CD CBT or online course do it ... or should I just leave it to the experts??? Not sure if will ever really go there, but it's crossing my mind ....

Oh ... I am assuming even if you had Studio, you need some Java background. Is that a safe assumption??

Thanks for any advice ... T.
I can't tell you anything about Studio itself, but I can tell you not to assume anything .
Old 09-25-2004, 02:19 PM
Administrator

Along the lines of what mlbdude said... no one with Studio is allowed to give details about it.

Quote:
you need some Java background.
I really don't know what Java is, but I did a search and came up with this attachment. Maybe that one will work for some background?

- Andy
Attached Images
File Type: jpg java.jpg (29.0 KB, 376 views)
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 09-25-2004, 03:24 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlbdude
I can't tell you anything about Studio itself, but I can tell you not to assume anything .
Well, I am not really after what Studio can do ... more of what I need to know to use it ... Can a flunky know nothing geek make it work or do I need my Masters in Programming? Or ... can I get a little Java CBT or spend a day or two at New Horizons and be equipped enough to make STV's like you and the others have ... So, how smart do I need to be?? ... I am trying to set my own expectations. If I need to be a full blown programmer, then Studio won't magically make me that and I either have to get the knowledge, however much that is or just rely on the skills and good graces of others ....

So again ... I am not looking for Studio NDA stuff ... Just what level of Java do I need or not ... THANKS!

EDIT:
Wait ... I think I just read in to your don't assume anything comment. Hmm, So then I can just forget it all and go kick back, recline and watch some recorded OC Choppers on my SageTV!!! RIGHT?

Last edited by mightyt; 09-25-2004 at 03:29 PM.
Old 09-25-2004, 03:34 PM
Sage Icon

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opus4
Along the lines of what mlbdude said... no one with Studio is allowed to give details about it.

I really don't know what Java is, but I did a search and came up with this attachment. Maybe that one will work for some background?

- Andy
I'm not sure about that Opus4 ... but if you tell me that all I need is this Java lesson (See Attachment) then I AM ONBOARD and will start prepping now !!!

T.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Java For All.jpg (7.1 KB, 333 views)
Old 09-25-2004, 04:42 PM
Administrator

BTW: I realize that my reply (edit: the first reply, above) seems entirely flippant, but if you read what mlbdude said & then what I said, you'll see that I'm not familiar with java. I think it is also safe to say that I couldn't have easily created some of the add-ons that are in nielm's STV, though I could make use of them. I think that's about as detailed as I'll be.

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.

Last edited by Opus4; 09-25-2004 at 04:57 PM.
Old 09-25-2004, 04:55 PM
Sage Icon

Thumbs up Yep ... I think I got it ...

Quote:
BTW: I realize that my reply seems entirely flippant, but if you read what mlbdude said & then what I said, you'll see that I'm not familiar with java. I think it is also safe to say that I couldn't have easily created some of the add-ons that are in nielm's STV, though I could make use of them. I think that's about as detailed as I'll be.

- Andy
Not at all Andy ... I try to be sensitive to NDA when asking my questions ... I appreciate your attempt to give me and reasonable answer and still honoring Frey ... All in all ... I did get it ... Pass the remote, please!!!!

Thanks, T.
Old 09-25-2004, 05:01 PM
Sage User

Quote:

- Andy
Short answer is no, you don't have to know JAVA.
Old 09-29-2004, 12:13 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by EncoderHouse
Short answer is no, you don't have to know JAVA.
Thanks, would the same apply to XML ??
Old 09-29-2004, 02:37 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Thanks, would the same apply to XML ??
No its not neccessary (I use it because it is an easy way to define a readable structured configuration file, and the XML parser is built into Java)
Old 09-29-2004, 07:35 AM
Sage Icon

Thanks Niel !!!