SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 09-26-2004, 02:56 PM
Sage Advanced User

Question SageTV huge memory usage

Just wondering why SageTV needs 70 MB of my memory when it's just sleeping. Is that the Java runtimes? Is it buffers that aren't needed? I'm running 3 Hauppauge cards, and I suspect it might take less with only 1, but it still seems a bit unreasonable to lock up that much ram. Obviously, I can add as much ram as it takes to run the system, but I would expect that something is a bit wanky here. Or not.
Old 09-26-2004, 03:02 PM
Administrator

I don't know what would be 'reasonable' memory usage, but as for comparing its sleeping state to it being awake: About the only thing SageTV isn't doing while sleeping is displaying a visible window for you to interact with. It still has to do all of its recording, scheduling, and anything else that might be going on. If you are using a client, the server can be streaming to it. It still responds to commands; in fact, if you have a 350 or Xcard, it is actually possible to have it output to the TV while it is sleeping (difficult to control with the Xcard since there is no UI displayed anywhere, but it _is_ possible).

SageTV sleeps with its eyes open.

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 09-26-2004, 03:50 PM
Sage Advanced User

Actually, the situation I'm talking about is with the server disabled, nothing recording, nothing playing, nothing happening at all. I would expect some buffers and such for each recording in progress, and certainly a bunch of stuff when playing, but when totally idle, I would not expect that much memory to be tied up. In a dedicated SageTV machine, this makes no difference, but in a situation, like mine, where the machine is also being used for other things, the memory usage becomes a bit of an issue. After 40 years of writing code, my aesthetic sensibilities are itched by seemingly unnecessary memory usage. OTOH, when I started writing code, 64k words was a big machine, so things change.
Old 09-26-2004, 06:40 PM
SageTVaholic

I believe Sage keeps everything in memory, 14 days of EPG info, upcoming schedule, info for your entire media library, and it periodically does scheduling, there's a lot of stuff it keeps track of.
Old 09-27-2004, 12:22 AM
SageTVaholic

WOW I am jealous
your uses 70 MB and mine uses 120MB
and I have only two tuners
and there is no probelm with SageTV
but there was
at one point after five days with out reboot SageTV was using 500MB
but that was in beta
Old 09-27-2004, 06:10 AM
Sage Expert

Mine uses between 100mb and 120mb with 2 tuners (PVR250s) all of the time. Never a problem though.
Old 09-27-2004, 12:30 PM
Sage Advanced User

Since my first post on this subject, I've seen mine vary from 59mb to 120mb, with no apparent causes for the changes. Wiz.bin is under 10mb on my system and the guide can't possibly be that big.

So the question still has to be - between 60mb and 120mb of what? It really sounds like there's just some sort of oops going on here that involves forgetting to free up something. Obviously, the functionality of SageTV is not noticeably compromised by this "feature", but...
Old 09-27-2004, 12:48 PM
SageTVaholic

I just don't think Jeff absentmindedly forgot to unload some 60MB object from memory.