SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Development and Customizations > SageTV Customizations
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Customizations This forums is for discussing and sharing user-created modifications for the SageTV application created by using the SageTV Studio or through the use of external plugins. Use this forum to discuss customizations for SageTV version 6 and earlier, or for the SageTV3 UI.

Old 10-05-2004, 08:21 AM
Sage User

Possible to modify the layout of the menu items?

Hi all!! I'm new to the SageTV custom STVs and had a question. I have downloaded, installed and played with Malore's and Nielm's custom STVs, both are excellent STVs!!

My question is: Is it possible for me to modify the layout of the menu items? While I love having all the configuration option menu items, whenever my wife uses the box to watch TV I never know what she'll do to it... I currently have Nielm's custom STV installed and navigating the menus is difficult for a novice (such as my wife). What I would like to do is have the main functions listed on the first page of the SageTV screens, and then have a menu item called something like "Advanced" which would link to a page containing all the various configuration menu items:
  • Live TV
  • TV Guide
  • Record a Show
  • Recorded Shows
  • Sleep
  • Advanced
Also, how hard would it be to add something like the Tivo thumbs-up and thumbs-down graphic, so when the "Set Like" and "Set Dislike" buttons are pressed an icon appears on the screen telling me I have set it to like or dislike?
Old 10-05-2004, 10:54 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guinness
Hi all!! I'm new to the SageTV custom STVs and had a question. I have downloaded, installed and played with Malore's and Nielm's custom STVs, both are excellent STVs!!

My question is: Is it possible for me to modify the layout of the menu items? While I love having all the configuration option menu items, whenever my wife uses the box to watch TV I never know what she'll do to it... I currently have Nielm's custom STV installed and navigating the menus is difficult for a novice (such as my wife). What I would like to do is have the main functions listed on the first page of the SageTV screens, and then have a menu item called something like "Advanced" which would link to a page containing all the various configuration menu items:
  • Live TV
  • TV Guide
  • Record a Show
  • Recorded Shows
  • Sleep
  • Advanced
Also, how hard would it be to add something like the Tivo thumbs-up and thumbs-down graphic, so when the "Set Like" and "Set Dislike" buttons are pressed an icon appears on the screen telling me I have set it to like or dislike?
First off, Welcome aboard ... and it appears you dove right in the deep end of the pool! That's good ...

Nielm's STV is the most versatile as it relates to Menu customization. You can do just about anything ... add, remove, and move. Create submenus, etc.

Check this site out for menu configuration ... and be sure to check out the list of internal screen names ...

http://www.sage-community.org/index....i/NielmStvMenu

Also, though I have been morphing it over time, I will attach a copy of my current menu.xml file for your review. I am still tweaking since Niel added access to a few more screens since v.1.3, thus you will see a "Menus To Test" menu item on my Main Menu where I put all menus available. If I like them I then move them where I want them to live permanently. I do this on my Sage Client first, once I tweak to my liking I migrate to changes to my Sage server.

As for the icons ... well that's an answer that has to cone from one of the knowledgeable STV developers.

Enjoy ... T.
Attached Files
File Type: zip menu.zip (2.0 KB, 250 views)
Old 10-05-2004, 12:09 PM
Sage User

Wow!! Thank you very much Mightyt!! Great info there... I'll try out your menu.xml tonight and then start tweaking...

Thanks again!!
G
Old 10-05-2004, 05:23 PM
Sage Aficionado

the more I see of xml, the more I love how easy it makes my life.

God, that sounds geeky when I read it back!
Old 10-05-2004, 06:21 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by edgley
the more I see of xml, the more I love how easy it makes my life.

God, that sounds geeky when I read it back!
Yep ... Certainly made a great addition to the Sage experience!

And face it ... you are a geek if you're here!!!
Old 10-05-2004, 07:27 PM
Sage Aficionado

"Hello,

My name is Simon, and I am a geek."

Gosh, I feel better now
Old 10-05-2004, 08:30 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by edgley
"Hello,

My name is Simon, and I am a geek."

Gosh, I feel better now
See ... now you are out of denial !!

Next is the 10 step program !!! GA (Geeks Anonymous) ....
Old 10-05-2004, 11:59 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guinness
Wow!! Thank you very much Mightyt!! Great info there... I'll try out your menu.xml tonight and then start tweaking...

Thanks again!!
G
You're welcome .... let us know how it goes ...

T