SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 10-08-2004, 11:36 AM
Sage Advanced User

Flagging guide anomalies?

This question is best illustrated by example:

I have "Cold Case" as a favorite - first runs/KCBS - IR off

The episode on 10/3 was recorded correctly, but the guide information about the episode was apparently incorrect. The episode number and title were the same as those for the upcoming 10/10 show. The description did not match the recorded program.

As a result of this, SageTV decided that it had already recorded the 10/10 episode and did not want to schedule it again. Both were listed as first runs.

It took me a bit of detective work to figure out why SageTV hadn't scheduled the 10/10 recording. This is a situation that SageTV could conceivable recognize and holler about in the <Recording Information> screen. Presumably there should never be a situation where the same episode of a show is listed as first run more than once on a given channel. Guide errors will occur. This is one that can be recognized and flagged. Obviously, there is no way for SageTV to resolve the situation on its own. It can't know what's wrong with the guide. Letting me know that something is wrong, however, would be a big help.

Disclaimer: It's only TV. It's not very important in the grander scheme of things.

Ancillary question: Does SageTV give me any indication that there is a conflict listed in the <Recording Information> screen? Some sort of flag on the main menu or somewhere amongst the normal navigation places. Or do I have to check <Recording Information> on my own?
Old 10-08-2004, 11:44 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoundz
Presumably there should never be a situation where the same episode of a show is listed as first run more than once on a given channel.
Sure there is such a situation: often, new episodes are shown multiple times over the course of a week. Every one of those airings is considered a first run, since that is what the EPG provider calls them.

Edit: But, there isn't a whole Lot SageTV can do about an EPG error as you describe it, where the show details change. I thought maybe it used to auto-flag the recording as a Recording Error, but maybe it doesn't do that.

Quote:
Ancillary question: Does SageTV give me any indication that there is a conflict listed in the <Recording Information> screen? Some sort of flag on the main menu or somewhere amongst the normal navigation places. Or do I have to check <Recording Information> on my own?
See the manual: pages 27 & 57. There is an icon on the menu header that will notify you. Click on it to go to the conflicts menu.

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 10-08-2004, 12:18 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opus4
Sure there is such a situation: often, new episodes are shown multiple times over the course of a week. Every one of those airings is considered a first run, since that is what the EPG provider calls them.

- Andy
You're right, that does occur on occasion. I forgot that some stations do that. I think it's much more common for subsequent airings to be listed as reruns, but I might be wrong. Bottom line is that flagging the multiples that are listed as first run might be less obnoxious than not recording a favorite because of a guide error. I don't know which is worse. IMHO, anything that can increase the likelihood of accurate recording is good. Letting the user know that there might be a problem is better than quietly screwing up.

Quote:
But, there isn't a whole Lot SageTV can do about an EPG error as you describe it, where the show details change.
In this case, the details in the guide were identical, even though the shows were different. That was the problem: 2 different epsodes with identical guide information.

I only asked the ancillary question because I've never had a conflict. Never saw the marker.

Thanks

Last edited by zoundz; 10-08-2004 at 12:24 PM.
Old 10-08-2004, 01:00 PM
Sage Fanatic

Cases like this are what the recording error option on the recording details screen is for. It deletes the recording and then records the episode the next time it airs (hopefully the correct one). It's also useful if you missed the last part of the show because the show started late.
Old 10-08-2004, 05:52 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by malore
Cases like this are what the recording error option on the recording details screen is for. It deletes the recording and then records the episode the next time it airs (hopefully the correct one). It's also useful if you missed the last part of the show because the show started late.
In this case, the show was not recorded in error. The correct show was recorded the first time. The guide, however, indicated that it was a different episode than it actually was, so SageTV thought it had recorded a different episode than it had. The show scheduled for 10/10 is a different episode than the one on 10/3, but the guide information is the same (correct for the 10/10 airing). As a result, SageTV thought that it had already recorded it. The problem is not how to deal with the problem, but rather the fact that without a detailed inspection of the upcoming schedule, it's not possible to know that the problem exists. What I would like to see is a note in the <Recording Information> screen that tells me that SageTV is skipping a second "first run" airing of the show. Then I would at least know to look and see if it was the result of a guide error. If there are not a lot of shows being recorded, it may be relatively obvious that there is a problem. In a situation where there are many shows scheduled, it's less likely to notice that one show is missing. Suffice it to say that this is not the end of the world, but it would be nice if SageTV could flag situations which might be the result of erroneous guide information. It's definitely an annoyance to go to watch a show and find out that it wasn't recorded for some bogus reason.
Old 07-29-2007, 08:27 AM
Sage Icon

Similar but not exactly....

had a first run of modern marvels scheduled saturday. EPG listed the episode as "Viewers Choice" with an 8hr duration (didn't catch that til I started watching it). Turns out it was really an 8-show mini-marathon. Today I came in to skim through and see if I'd seen any of them. EPG now lists it as a single, named episode of 1hr duration, but with a file size of 16GB. timeline looks like a 1hr show w/ 3hrs start padding and 4hrs stop padding. Checked the guide and looks like the real schedule was an 8a-8p block of episodes. Guess zap2it had a glitch in one of their operators' typing skills.

Clients: HD300 x2; HD200 x2; Placeshifter

Service: EPB Fiber (1Gb); OTA (we "cut the cord"); Netflix, Hulu, etc.