SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > General Discussion > General Discussion
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

General Discussion General discussion about SageTV and related companies, products, and technologies.

Old 10-21-2004, 08:14 PM
Sage Expert

DSS and Cable Cards

I never really figured this out. But can anyone say for certain why in the states has no one been allowed to make a PCI card (really any type of interface) to have satellite or cable (more then the 125 limitation) for a computer? In Europe and other areas of the world they do it, but here they don’t. This would solve so many problems for us.
Old 10-21-2004, 08:38 PM
Sage Expert

Actually one thing that can just skip all of that is having a way to pull the TV signal from the set top box through firewire to your media center. No need for tuner cards or anything. Thinking about this now, I think this is the best way to go, now we just need some people to make the software happen.
Old 10-21-2004, 09:28 PM
Sage Icon

Curious question for anyone with a firewire connection on your settop box.

Can you capture video from your settop box using any of the standard "capture" software packages out there? My guess is no, but I'd like to know.

Carlo
Old 10-21-2004, 09:39 PM
Sage Expert

I would imagine you should be able to just with some splight mods to the software. From also what I have heard is firewire is not encrypted so you don't have any issues with recording encrypted digital TV (and HDTV of course) like others are talking about. But with DVI it is encrypted but the FCC has required there be a DVI and firewire option so firewire is here to stay, at least for now.

I may be wrong with the encryption part but I think that is what I heard.
Old 10-21-2004, 09:49 PM
SageTVaholic

1) DSS

What you're thinking of are CAM cards (Conditional Access Modules) and there are a couple problems. First is DirecTV, they don't use standard DVB, they use some funky MPEG-1.5 so they aren't compatible with the cards.

Now for Dish, they use standard DVB, and all the hardware exists to receive/decrypt it (DVB cards, CAM cards) they'd all work with Dish Network if it weren't for one thing. Dish uses a non-standard key system where the key is tied to the box so it doesn't work without hacking your box/card etc.

2) CableCard

Firstly it's very new, but secondly, and probably more importantly. From what I've read the CableCard spec was written in such a way that it's impossible to make a PC card that's CableCard compliant.

So the simple answer to your question is, nobody has because the cable sat companies won't let them.

An intersting bit of trivia for you. Adaptec (I think) actually made a card that would work with Dish Network for the express purpose of getting Dish on a PC. But I guess Dish changed it's mind and canned it before it got to market.

As for firewire, check out the AVS Forum HDTV recorders section. Basically there are a few programs that will work (DVHScap or DTVcap, can't remember for sure) and Firebus DTVR. However the big limitation is that it only works for channels which don't require a 5C (encrypted) compliant recorder (PCs aren't 5C and probably never will be).
Old 10-21-2004, 11:10 PM
Sage Expert

Gotcha, that explains a lot. I just wish they would allow it. I mean of course their will be piracy issues, but even with the VHS, piracy existed. But just like Napster, piracy actually will help spur more legit sales. Well to a degree. When Napster was big CD sales were up, when it went down, sales were lower. Just like when I used Napster I actually bought CDs where as before I didn’t. Now Napster is gone, I very rarely buy CDs. No one is the same as Napster.

But back to video, if they just allowed someone to create a card it is going to help this market. My only hope is that MCE takes off and Microsoft is able to put pressure on companies to allow cards to be made. I am going for MCE because honestly, I don’t think anyone else can push the market to the consumers like Microsoft can. Anyone using any other DVR isn’t someone that is just an average Joe or it is just a slim amount. MCE is just there to work right out of the box. I hope that makes sense.

But that doesn’t mean Sage and other companies will fail if MCE takes off. Just means the others will get stronger and MCE will help push sales for other products.
Old 10-22-2004, 05:03 AM
Sage Icon

There are similar situations(UK Sky Digital for one) here in Europe, where there is no way to get digital satellite through "open" DVB tech.
Old 10-22-2004, 08:31 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by phenixdragon
Gotcha, that explains a lot. I just wish they would allow it. I mean of course their will be piracy issues, but even with the VHS, piracy existed.
But that's the super stupid thing (at least for Dish Network). Since the hardware exists, the only people they are stopping are the people who would pay for a subscription. The people who wouldn't are already doing it.

Quote:
But just like Napster, piracy actually will help spur more legit sales. Well to a degree. When Napster was big CD sales were up, when it went down, sales were lower. Just like when I used Napster I actually bought CDs where as before I didn’t. Now Napster is gone, I very rarely buy CDs. No one is the same as Napster.
Yeah, I went on a CD buying spurt for a while in the last several years, and it's slowed again.

Quote:
But back to video, if they just allowed someone to create a card it is going to help this market. My only hope is that MCE takes off and Microsoft is able to put pressure on companies to allow cards to be made. I am going for MCE because honestly, I don’t think anyone else can push the market to the consumers like Microsoft can.
You hit the nail on the head there, MS is about the only light at the end of this very dark digital TV tunnel. It will be interesting to see just how much they want to control the living room For once, I hope they really want it, and succeed.