SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > General Discussion > General Discussion
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

General Discussion General discussion about SageTV and related companies, products, and technologies.

Old 11-26-2004, 10:18 PM
Sage Aficionado

CNN article: "TiVo pop-up ads may erode consumer control"

http://www.cnn.com/2004/TECH/ptech/1....ap/index.html
Old 11-26-2004, 10:55 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
"Those who feel that they've been 'sold out,' I can understand that," Bob Poniatowsky, a TiVo product marketing manager, wrote recently in an online posting on the TiVo Community Forum. But "that's simply not the case here."
LMFAO
you can read the rest of what this idiot has to say ........
Old 11-27-2004, 04:31 PM
Sage Advanced User

Send a message via ICQ to remmy925 Send a message via AIM to remmy925 Send a message via Yahoo to remmy925
Tivo popup adds.

I just read this and thought some of you TV junkies might find this interesting.
http://apnews.excite.com/article/200...D86JLKL82.html

Looks like there are going to be popup adds for Tivo customers. Yucky!
Old 11-27-2004, 05:03 PM
Sage Fanatic

Maybe Frey should buy some ads advertising a lack of advertising....

Jere
Old 11-28-2004, 11:24 AM
Sage User

TV is becoming less and less watchable anyway. I continue to be astounded by the increasing size and obtrusiveness of the ads that appear WHILE YOU'RE WATCHING a program. That plus logos and it seems at times that you're missing out on a full third of the image.

Television is going to advertise itself into oblivion.

I've already gotten used to skipping virtually all movies while they're at the theater, and loading up my Netflix queue. Once I screen them, I go buy the ones that I know I'll enjoy watching again. Now that Netflix is offering entire seasons of good TV shows on DVD, it's much more enjoyable to simply skip an entire season then rent the DVDs and watch them without all the bulls**t logos, ads, etc.

(Jeez, I'm getting crotchety in my old age!)
Old 11-28-2004, 12:15 PM
Sage Advanced User

if it's just a simple icon that pops up saying it's a commercial that you can "save" or "tag" to watch later then i would like that. that article link posted by remmy925 at http://apnews.excite.com/article/200...D86JLKL82.html seems to indicate a little more as to one of the options that tivo is planning:

Quote:
A pop-up recording "tag" is also planned: a "thumbs-up" icon would appear during TV show promotions and allow users to instantly place those programs in their recording queue.
that tagging sounds more like you can put the commercials in the recording queue so that you can watch them individually later.

i don't use any of those comskip stuff that are available for sagetv. i just manually press my ff buttons to skip ahead where i may scan a little bit of each commercial during the commercial breaks. if there are any commercials that catch my eye, i do reverse and watch it and make a mental note as to whether i want to later edit it out of the video file to save because i also like to save favorite commercials like those Ipod shadow dancer commercials like the recent U2 Ipod commercial and also i've been meaning to edit and save that new Target xmas commercial where Ice-T is saying "Word up Darth" to Darth Vader who is sitting next to him at some telephone operator callsite as they make wake-up calls to people telling them wake up and go shop at Target. hilarious stuff like that. that tivo tagging of commercials to be watched later would be something i would like to have.

this pop-up icon for the tagging option also reminds me of what WebTV Plus does (and what other interactive TV advertising icons do and what tivo wants to do also) where you get an icon that appears during a commercial, you click on that and you can get more information that happens to be transmitted with the commercial and may also have web links to click where you go out to the web using a tv browser. it is really cool and makes for an interactive commercial that you can play with - similar to what you see with DVDs extras but for a commercial. imho, cool to play with - but i understand it may not be cool to talk about in this anti-commercial discussion thread. anyways these popup icons are not really new - it just so happens that it provides a good solution for advertisers who want to counter against commercial-skipping that people do with PVRs. before as an interactive tv solution (before tivo latched on to it as a solution) it was for countering the channel-surfing that people do during commercials when watching live tv. anyways, if you don't have tivo then you don't have to worry about it because you won't get them.

HOWEVER in a related area (that ElvisIncognito is also talking about) what i could do without are the large bumper popup ads that appear at the bottom of the screen DURING ACTUAL TV SHOWS where they are advertising other tv shows. those bumpers appear during the tv show - right after the commercial break is over. those bumper popups are getting to be so much BIGGER. previously i didn't mind those bumpers too much because they were previously a little smaller. but now they are taking up like a full corners of the screen. it's those bumpers popups that really irritate me. i don't have a problem if they put interactive popups during commercials, but no more advertising after the tv show starts up again.

ruel

Last edited by ruel; 11-28-2004 at 12:23 PM.
Old 12-03-2004, 07:49 PM
Sage User

Even season DVDs make you wait through like 20 or 30 seconds of messages and stupid animated menus and other crap before you can pick the episode. At least after that you're pretty much free.
Old 12-03-2004, 08:06 PM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by natesneat2000
Even season DVDs make you wait through like 20 or 30 seconds of messages and stupid animated menus and other crap before you can pick the episode. At least after that you're pretty much free.
This is one of the many reasons for buying AnyDVD. Besides the fact that it allows you to copy any copyprotected DVD, it removes ALL 'user prohibitions' that would ordinarily force you to watch the messages, commercials, etc that they are putting on DVD's.

-PGPfan
Old 01-05-2005, 01:39 PM
Sage Advanced User

Send a message via AIM to Diginerd Send a message via Yahoo to Diginerd
Disney DVDs are THE WORST.

You pop in the DVD, and ae FORCED to watch about 10 minutes of unskippable adverts. Nevery annoying if you have a 3 year old desperate to watch her favorite movie.

Personally I buy DVDs and rip them to a big RAID, skipping all the ads and junk. Makes for a clean and tidy living room, no scratched disks and no annoying waits.
Old 01-05-2005, 05:17 PM
Sage Aficionado

My brother hacked his tivo and decided not to allow the update to happen to his system. Not sure how you do that but he says he doesn't get any ads when he skips commercials so it's not a problem for him.
Old 01-06-2005, 07:41 AM
Sage Aficionado

??? I don't think they started doing the ads yet, because I didn't do any kind of hack and I still don't get them.