SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 11-27-2004, 03:49 PM
Sage User

Learn New Command: Question

What exactly are the benefits of learning other remote codes for my Dishnet receiver using the "Learn New Command" function in the setup menu? I have no access to them with my standard remote that I use to control SAGETV, thus I don't see the purpose for learning new commands.

If someone could explain to me how to utilize the commands with SAGETV, I would appreciate it.

Thanks,
Anosis
Old 11-27-2004, 09:32 PM
Sage User

Maybe my first post was not clear.

In the Setup Wizard you can program your Dishnet receivers 0 to 9 key buttons so that SAGETV is able to change the channel without using your Dishnet Remote. In the same setup there is a menu item that lets you learn other commands and even though you can assign a name to it, there is no where else in SageTV where you can assign your SAGETV's remote a button to.

If anyone knows how I can use the learned codes from my Dishnet remote and use them by assigning them to my SAGETV remote, that would be awesome!
Old 11-28-2004, 03:50 AM
SageTVaholic

you need a IR blaster to control the Dish network box
cause trying to control the Dish box with a pc remote is a waste of time

SageTV should communicate with the box so you do not have to
what remote are you using now? the hauppauge?
if so it is not going to work with the dish box

you can get a USB UIRT to control the Dish box

those learn commands in SageTV are for PC remotes and SageTV not your dish box

am I following

also without a blaster or serial type connection
using a pvr is pointless
the channel changing is an extremely long wait and you cannot record anything when not at home monitoring it
Old 11-28-2004, 11:00 AM
Sage User

kny3twalker,

I am fully aware of the fact that I need the USB-UIRT to receive commands from my standard remote and that I can send the learned 0-9 keys from my dishnet remote. This is not what I am asking and I am using the USB-UIRT exactly that way, but ....

The SAGETV Setup wizard lets you also learn more than just the 0-9 key buttons from your dishnet remote through your USB-UIRT. There is an option to "Learn New Command", but I do not see the sense in this unless somewhere else in the setup it lets you use those acquired dishnet commands by assigning them a keyboard combination or the remote you use to do all the other functions within Sage.

BTW, I use a cheapo Sony Remote that I got from Target for 6 USD, that has 95% of the buttons I need to get around Sage. What would be awesome is if through SageTV I could use the channel UP / DOWN button on that remote to simulate an actual dishnet channel UP / DOWN command, that I learned with the above mentioned "Learn New Command" option.

If you assign an UP and DOWN button to your standard remote all SAGE does is use the 0-9 keys that you programmed with Dishnet and USB-UIRT and select the next channel up, by using the channel guide information to find out what the next available channel should be. So instead of using a descrete up or down code it goes and punches in the 0-9 keys for the next channel up or down. Or how about mapping a button on you regular remote that would invoke a dishnet remote command to look at the Dishnet guide instead?

Thanks,
Anosis
Old 11-28-2004, 12:09 PM
SageTVaholic

ok why do you want the Dish network guide
I am not following here
it is for PPV?
Old 11-28-2004, 03:01 PM
Administrator

I recently returned & am still trying to catch up on all the stuff around the house... on p121 of the v2.1 manual, there is an option to send a command after each channel change (Channel Change Confirm Code). I believe that is what you would use an extra IR command for. I'm not sure if the extra IR codes are used anywhere else.

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 11-28-2004, 09:50 PM
Sage User

This should be added as a feature to SageTV, since it allows you to control the dishnet or cable box receiver with some other remote by using a learned command from the original remote.

kny3twalker,
PPV would be one reason, since it would allow you to use your regular remote through the learned commands to control your dishnet receiver, thus you could use the arrow buttons to navigate and the select button to acknowledge a PPV purchase for example.

I believe Girder might be able to do this, but I have not tried this.

Thanks,
Anosis
Old 05-18-2005, 08:18 AM
Sage User

PPV would be one reason, since it would allow you to use your regular remote through the learned commands to control your dishnet receiver, thus you could use the arrow buttons to navigate and the select button to acknowledge a PPV purchase for example.

I believe Girder might be able to do this, but I have not tried this.

Anosis (or anyone else) -- have you gotten this to work? I'd like to navigate On Demand menus with my Firefly remote, which I have working with Girder. I got my UIRT set up yesterday and Sage is now controlling my STB, but I need to be able to send directional signals (not 0-9) to the STB to navigate the On Demand menus. I don't know if this is something I can do, since the setup wizard in Sage doesn't offer to learn any STB signals besides 0-9. Presumably the IR linking option in the detailed setup won't work, since the Firefly is RF; so I would need to find a way to have Girder take the directional signal, hand it off to Sage, and have Sage control the STB appropriately.

Is this possible?

Thanks,
Ron
Old 05-19-2005, 02:26 AM
Sage User

I put this on the feature request list a week or two ago. I taught SageTV the IR command to turn my TV on and off and can even test it with their "Test Function" (it works). Unfortunately for me, I can not find a way to "bind" it to a keystroke which I could in turn "bind" to my FireFly remote to not only put SageTV to sleep but also turn off my TV.
When I was posting this question back then, everyone said it could be done with Girder, but I don't want to install another application (plus pay for it) for just one function. If SageTV could expose the file where Keystrokes are mapped to typical Sage functions and then add any learned IR commands to it (or let us edit that part) then the mapping would be complete.
I will continue to watch this thread to see if anyone else has another idea.....