SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

Old 12-06-2004, 07:12 PM
Sage Icon

low-end PC for sage client box

Will an AMD 950 Duron with 256MB ram and a Radeon 7000 32MB work as a SageClient box? What would it do well and what not well?

Also, it would have to be hooked into the network wirelessly w/ 802.11g, no cabling is possible in that room.
Old 12-06-2004, 07:22 PM
Sage Aficionado

That should be fine. Let us know how it goes!

Andy.
Old 12-06-2004, 07:27 PM
Sage Advanced User

I run a dual tuner Sage server and playback machine on a PIII 650, so I think you'll definitely have the horsepower to use that as a client.

But I'd do a search on wireless connections, most people on the forums here haven't been able to reliably stream video over wireless connections, even with 11g.
Old 12-07-2004, 08:55 AM
Sage Expert

What I want to know is that if a P3 500 or P2 450 can handle it. I'll respond when I find out!
Old 12-07-2004, 09:19 AM
Sage Fanatic

Several people have found that increasing the Disk Cache in the registry helps deal with problematic Wireless connections. Basically by doing this you read more of the Video file into memory before playing so minor hiccups in the trhoughput of the network do not translate into pausing or stuterinf during playback.

http://www.sage-community.org/index....-do-i-fix-this

John
Old 12-07-2004, 10:28 AM
Sage User

If your not using a Linksys access point you most likley will have no issues with 802.11g. For some reason Linksys access points have problems with constant data streams over the air i think the CPU in there hardware is way to underpowered for the job it is doing. I currently stream from my sage server over 802.11G/A (D-Link 7100AP) to my client PC that is hardwired to the network and i have NO issues at all using the default settings. Typicaly it uses about 5Mbit/s to stream the video and i have tested the access point with 5 PCs streaming at once with no lag at all.