SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > General Discussion > General Discussion
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

General Discussion General discussion about SageTV and related companies, products, and technologies.

Old 01-04-2005, 08:37 PM
Sage Advanced User

Send a message via MSN to abbott_m
Acronyms for SageTV

Is there a place that has all the various acronyms used. While I do work in the computer industry, these are rather new to me.

Mike
Old 01-04-2005, 09:57 PM
Administrator

TIN TLA SDA ALA FAI KOS. WDY NTK?

(There is no three letter acronym SageTV dictionary available, at least as far as I know of, sorry. What do you need to know?)

SOO:

(Some obvious ones):
  • SDTV - Standard Def TV
  • HDTV - HD TV
  • STB - Set top box
  • IR - Infrared
  • IR - Intelligent Recording
  • USB-UIRT - USB Universal Infrared Receiver Transmitter
  • STV - SageTV interface definition file (See the List of available customizations)

• EPG - Electronic Program Guide (TV guide list)
  • OSD - On Screen Display
HTH. LLM... AKA?

(Hope that helps. Let's list more... anyone know any?)

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 01-04-2005, 10:11 PM
Sage Fanatic

Also,

EPG - Electronic Program Guide (TV guide list)
OSD - On Screen Display
(which is just about all the rest of the user interface display for controlling/navigating)

Can't really think of much else that is specific only to discussing SageTV.
Old 02-03-2005, 12:29 AM
Sage User

I am adding the word "glossary" to this thread to help make it more searchable. Glossary, glossary, glossary . . . that oughta do it.
Old 02-03-2005, 11:00 PM
Administrator

I didn't even realize that the SageTV web site has a GoT: Glossary of Terms. So, there is another place to read about terminology.

- Andy
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 12-17-2005, 05:35 PM
SageTVaholic

* The following answers were merged here from another thread, for future reference *
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1961
Honestly....I'm somewhat new to the "media center world" but as a computer programmer, I am very familiar with Windows, programming and setting up networks. Nevertheless, I've never felt so lost when reading threads with all the "buzzwords" that are used. Isn't there some reference or dictionary somewhere on the Sage website that explains what all those words mean?

I think it would sure be a great help to us "newbies." It's awfully frustrating to try and read a thread and learn something only to have more questions than one started with because they don't understand buzzwords. Now, I do understand some but in one article alone, I picked up at least 10 buzzwords (and I finally know what some mean but I could see someone new at this getting totally lost). Here's 10 from one thread along...again..I know what some mean but not everyone would:

Matt’s MVP plug-in - (like what does this thing do...haven't a clue)
BTV (oh...Beyond TV)
MVP solution (most valuable person? Well what'ts what it is on google newsgroups)
DHCP server (yea I know...networking)
HTPC apps (what does this stand for)
MVP Extender license
OMFG it overlay's 'TRIAL'
MVP client
Media Extender
Divx, MPEG (compression formats)....

All this from only one thread...and this was one of the easier to understand threads that I have read.

Mike
Matt’s MVP plug-in - MVP Client for SageTV is a free plugin for SageTV It allows a Hauppauge MediaMVP device to be used
as frontend for SageTV. Support for features like On-Screen-Display, Audio
and Video is close to that supported by the normal SageTV Client.

BTV (oh...Beyond TV)-A program similar to Sage TV except it doesn't do as much or as well.
MVP solution (most valuable person? Well what'ts what it is on google newsgroups)-MediaMVP: a digital media player for your home network: Watch and listen to PC based music, videos and pictures on your TV set. Play slide shows with music, too!-Connects to Ethernet networks with standard RJ-45 connectors-Play MP3 music and music playlists-Play MPEG-1 and MPEG-2 videos -Includes remote control for easy navigation from your TV set.
DHCP server (yea I know...networking)-Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol - one of the protocols in the TCP/IP networking suite-basically hands out IP addresses automatically on a network.
HTPC apps (what does this stand for)-Home Theater Personal Computer applications
MVP Extender license-A license from Sage that will register your use of a MediaMVP as a Sage client.
OMFG it overlay's 'TRIAL'-OMFG (Expression of surprise Oh My F*** God) it overlays "TRIAL" The 7 day trial of the MVP client will overlay the word "TRIAL" on the screen until you register it. Doesn't affect the operation of the client in any other way.
MVP client-MediaMVP: a digital media player for your home network: With a Sage license you can use it as a Sage client utilizing the Sage interface.
Media Extender-A device like the MediaMVP. Hopefully in the future Sage will support other hardware devices as clients. (Such as a Networked DVD player)
Divx, MPEG (compression formats)...-MPEG2 is the designation for a group of coding standards for digital audio and video, agreed upon by MPEG (Moving Pictures Experts Group), and published as the ISO/IEC 13818 international standard. MPEG-2 is typically used to encode audio and video for broadcast signals, including direct broadcast satellite and Cable TV. MPEG-2, with some modifications, is also the coding format used by standard commercial DVD movies.

Divx-is a video codec created by DivX, Inc. (formerly DivXNetworks, Inc.), regarded for its ability to compress lengthy video segments into small sizes while maintaining relatively high visual quality.

Hope that helps.

Gerry
Server - WHS 2011: Sage 7.1.9 - 1 x HD Prime and 2 x HDHomeRun - Intel Atom D525 1.6 GHz, Acer Easystore, RAM 4 GB, 4 x 2TB hotswap drives, 1 x 2TB USB ext Clients: 2 x PC Clients, 1 x HD300, 2 x HD-200, 1 x HD-100 DEV Client: Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit - AMD 64 x2 6000+, Gigabyte GA-MA790GP-DS4H MB, RAM 4GB, HD OS:500GB, DATA:1 x 500GB, Pace RGN STB.
Old 06-11-2008, 03:51 PM
Administrator

By popular request:

SageMC = The custom SageMC interface, or STV; see the SageMC subforum for details about that custom interface.

This is different from the term "SageTV Media Center", which is the full name of the SageTV application. The shortened term for the product is "SageTV", not SageMC.

- Andy
Old 06-11-2008, 03:59 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opus4 View Post
By popular request:

SageMC = The custom SageMC interface, or STV; see the SageMC subforum for details about that custom interface.

This is different from the term "SageTV Media Center", which is the full name of the SageTV application. The shortened term for the product is "SageTV", not SageMC.

- Andy

"SageMC"

as a noobie, that one really tripped me up for a few days
Old 06-21-2008, 01:41 PM
Sage User

Rrsavage,

Glad you posted that. SageMC or sagetvmc implies media center and that is what I thought I bought. I was wondering what the heck people were talking about but now I get it
Old 01-30-2009, 11:30 PM
Sage Aficionado

Most important:

WAF
Wife Acceptance Factor
Old 01-31-2009, 11:28 AM
Sage Icon

I going to Sage that episode tonight. or I saged it.
SSR = Sage Season Recordings.

To Sage or NOT to Sage, that is the question because I don't have a lot of hard drive space.

EDIT: SSR = Favorites

Last edited by QueOnda; 02-02-2009 at 10:52 AM. Reason: Corrected Terminology
Old 01-31-2009, 12:22 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by QueOnda View Post
SSR = Sage Season Recordings.
Actually, as a reference for future readers of this: correct SageTV terminology for that would be "Favorites".

- Andy
Old 04-15-2009, 02:28 PM
Sage Aficionado

What is "TMT"? I've seen it talked about, but can't figure out what it is exactly.
Old 04-15-2009, 02:51 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigap View Post
What is "TMT"? I've seen it talked about, but can't figure out what it is exactly.
ArcSoft's Total Media Theater package for DVD, BD etc playback.

EDIT: And there's TME (Total Media Extreme) which contains TMT and other collected software in one package.
Server: SageTV 9, Win10/32, Intel DP55KG Mb, Intel QC i5 2.66GHz , 4GB 1333MHz DDR3 SDRAM, 2 Hauppauge 2255s for 4 OTA ATSC tuners, HDHRPrime w Comcast, 3 STP-HD300s 20101007-0 firmware, nVidia Shield. Java v7u55. Plugins:SD EPG, OpenDCT

Last edited by HelenWeathers; 04-15-2009 at 02:57 PM.

Tags
acronyms, glossary