SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV BETA Release Products > SageTV Beta Test Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Beta Test Software Discussion related to BETA Releases of the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. regarding SageTV Beta Releases should be posted here.

Old 01-12-2005, 12:47 PM
Sage User

MP3 behavior

I have a lot of MP3s in where they are in directories for each album.

With some, if I play one song it carries on and plays through the album.

With others it seems to pause for ages at the end of a song and might then play on if it feels like it... and I mean pauses for a reasonable few minutes.

Any ideas please?

Chris

ps. Im running the beta or I wouldnt have posted it in here :P
Old 01-12-2005, 01:15 PM
SageTVaholic

probably vbr or abr mp3's ... Sage (actually windows' MP3 Dshow filter) miscalculates the length to be much longer then the real length and so Sage will continue to play silence beyond the end of the actual track (you can see this if you go to the full-screen video/visualisation view while Sage is playing back..)
Old 01-12-2005, 01:17 PM
Sage User

That would make sense. Any way to fix it without stacks of re-encoding?

Chris.
Old 01-12-2005, 01:39 PM
SageTVaholic

If you find a Dshow MP3 decoder filter that calculates the correct length for VBR MP3's then it's solved... (I have looked but not found anything yet)

A future version of Sage may stop playing when it realises it has reached the end of the track (instead of relying on Windows)

Otherwise its re-encoding time (not something I have done yet, and all my mp3's are VBR!)
Old 01-12-2005, 01:57 PM
Sage Icon

I googled and found a utility yesterday called vbrfix that may resolve this issue. I didn't get around to trying it because I couldn't find any bad files.
Old 01-12-2005, 02:07 PM
Sage User

I found this: http://www.inmatrix.com/zplayer/formats/mp3.shtml

I think its a DirectShow decoder that supposedly fixes VBR issues, but it didn't seem to work. I'm just wondering if maybe it is a Sage problem. The correct song duration is shown in Sage, but the time just counts up very SLOWLY (ie. not in real-time).
Old 01-12-2005, 04:55 PM
SageTVaholic

VBRfix will not help -- even if the files have the VBR header, Sage will play them longer than it should.

The referenced filter won't help either: it is only for playing back MP3's directly from .MP3 files. Sage needs a filter that decodes MPEG1 audio streams.

The behaviour you describe (Sage showing correct duration, but counting slowly) is V2.2.2 behaviour (in earlier versions it would show that a 3min VBR music file had a duration of 6mins). From 2.2.2, Sage knows the correct file duration, but it istill relies on the decoder filter to indicate the % playback position and when the end of file has been reached.