SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

Old 01-22-2005, 06:32 PM
Sage Fanatic

Question Help understanding cable box control

Scheduled to add a digital cable box Tuesday. Couldn't get Comcast to confirm model, they don't for sure what's available, but likely Motorola DCT2500 or if out of stock in their warehouse DCT5200 or 6200. Since my Sage setup has been previously strictly analog cable while I've read many of the digital box related threads physically haven't applied anything. Couldn't really find much information in the Sage manually or Sage site.

IIRC if the box has serial port Sage can change channels via serial. If not then Girder and USB-Uirt needs to be be implemented. Are those the only options or am I missing something?

I plan to hook it up to my PVR250 that's in my HTPC network mode, not directly to one of the Server's tuners. I'm hoping to figure out a way to connect it to both PVR and directly to Toshiba 55" using box's native remote for Tosh occasional viewing on demand etc direct to TV, most of the time likely just Sage recording content.

Guess I'll really know what questions are needed to be asked Tuesday after it arrives.

Last edited by mdmint; 01-22-2005 at 06:35 PM.
Old 01-22-2005, 11:28 PM
Sage Icon

Can't tell you anything about serial but if there is no serial port than all you'll need an IR blaster (USB-UIRT for example). No need for Girder unless you want to control a lot more than channel changes on the STB. I highly recomend the USB-UIRT. It is reliable, easy to get working in Sage, can handle multiple cable boxes, and is a reciever as well.
Old 01-23-2005, 02:10 AM
Sage Advanced User

Are there any problems with using a single USB-UIRT with both native Sage channel-changing support as well as Girder at the same time?
Old 01-23-2005, 08:48 AM
Sage User

I had to call Comcrap several times before I got someone who understood what a serial port was...they had to enable it remotely and reset the box...after that it worked like a champ for me.