SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV BETA Release Products > SageTV Beta Test Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Beta Test Software Discussion related to BETA Releases of the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. regarding SageTV Beta Releases should be posted here.

Old 01-27-2005, 01:39 PM
Sage Aficionado

Send a message via AIM to chrysek Send a message via Yahoo to chrysek
High CPU utilization temp fix

Ok, I think I got at least some work around that. Ok, I do run Server (service) and then SageTV I guess client on it. Now when I stop and start sage service or it does crash or my system gets rebooted sometimes my Sage Client that is running next to the service gets such a high CPU utilization that it just doe snot respond to anything. Well to get it fixed I found out that best is to disable service mode for few hours and run just Sage TV without it. Somehow sage gets its wiz.bin fixed and then service can get restarted and running normally until again it happens.

Is this the greatest fix? nee, but it does show that there is serious problem with wiz.bin file that is causing service/client configuration to get this high cpu utilization thing.

Hope this does help someone...

Chris

PS: it does not matter if I am using any STV's or just the original STV, it is all the same... I can replicate this problem so easily by stopping and starting sage and eventually it will cause this high cpu utilization problem.
Intel Pentium 4 3.0ghz 800mhz FSB, D.VINE 4 w/VFD display Case, GIGABYTE "GA-8IPE1000 PRO-G" i865PE Chipset Motherboard, Dual DDR 400 1024mb RAM (2x512mb), Windows XP Pro SP2 + SageTV 4.1.12 + Java j2re-1.5._02, ATI 9600 128mb DVI out, 200gb OS Drive, 2x160gb EIDE and 7x400gb SATA Video storage hard drives, Hauppauge PVR-250 to Time Warner HD Digital Cable Receiver, Hauppauge PVR-250 to Dish Network Receiver, Hauppauge PVR-350 to Time Warner Cable redy input, ATI HDTV card, USB-UIRT w/Hauppauge remote.
Old 01-27-2005, 02:46 PM
Sage Aficionado

Send a message via AIM to chrysek Send a message via Yahoo to chrysek
I did also notice that Sage is checking mpeg files, if for some reason mpeg is broken, or has some problems Sage can get stuck and GUI will never open, I do believe that CPU is very high as well, what I did was removed offending mpeg file and it started fine. It just did happen to me only once when system crashed while recording show. I did find out about this by looking at sage debug logs and it was always stuck on that one mpeg file trying to I guess add it to the media list or something.

Hope this might help too if someone has problems starting sage at all... As I said, it only did happen once to me where I had to remove mpeg, all other times wiz.bin is the cause of my high cpu utilization at times when it does happen.

I do also loose my schedule from my Sage at times, and Sage is not showing any recordings under device info. At that moment I just need to recover from previous backup just wiz.bin and it works again. I did not find any fix or walk around that problem.

Regards,

Chris
Intel Pentium 4 3.0ghz 800mhz FSB, D.VINE 4 w/VFD display Case, GIGABYTE "GA-8IPE1000 PRO-G" i865PE Chipset Motherboard, Dual DDR 400 1024mb RAM (2x512mb), Windows XP Pro SP2 + SageTV 4.1.12 + Java j2re-1.5._02, ATI 9600 128mb DVI out, 200gb OS Drive, 2x160gb EIDE and 7x400gb SATA Video storage hard drives, Hauppauge PVR-250 to Time Warner HD Digital Cable Receiver, Hauppauge PVR-250 to Dish Network Receiver, Hauppauge PVR-350 to Time Warner Cable redy input, ATI HDTV card, USB-UIRT w/Hauppauge remote.