SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Development and Customizations > SageTV Customizations
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Customizations This forums is for discussing and sharing user-created modifications for the SageTV application created by using the SageTV Studio or through the use of external plugins. Use this forum to discuss customizations for SageTV version 6 and earlier, or for the SageTV3 UI.

Old 01-31-2005, 09:51 AM
Sage Fanatic

FFMPEG Compression and Java 1.5_01 Incompatiblity

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsagetv99
I upgraded to java 1.5 and I'm pretty sure that it broke my ability to compress mpg using ffmpeg. Is anyone else with 1.5, that had compression working before, having a problem after upgrading?
Just wanted to update everyone in case you are having the same problem. Last night I uninstalled Java 1.5_01 and installed 1.4.07 and guess what? The FFMPEG compression application started working again.
Hopefully I didn't break anything else in the process.

Anyone else with 1.5_01 able to get the FFMPEG_Convert process to work?
Old 01-31-2005, 04:50 PM
Sage Icon

Not that it helps, but I have never been able to get FFMPEG_Convert to work, but have only tried it on 1.5 and 1.5.01.

I read in another thread that people were having trouble getting it to work if they had the xerces.jar file in the java directories that FFMPEG_Convert was using, and need to create a separate java directory tree for FFMPEG_Convert to use.

This didn't work for me either, but it may be that it needs to be pointing to a Java 1.4 tree.
Old 01-31-2005, 08:56 PM
Sage Fanatic

Thanks for the info. I'm wondering if the person who wrote the FFMPEG_Convert java script could publish an update that works with 1.5???
Old 01-31-2005, 10:56 PM
Sage Icon

Well, I installed a copy of 1.4.2_07 as a second java directory tree and pointed the java path in ffmpeg_convert.properties to Java_Executable_Path=C:\Program Files\Java\j2re1.4.2_07\bin\java.exe and it works.

So my default Java is 1.5.0_01, which is what Sage is using and ffmpeg_convert is using the 1.4.2_07 version.

Would definately be nice to have a version that works with 1.5

Now that 1.5 is the default download on the Java site, if anyone needs 1.4 that can get it here http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.4.2/download.html

Last edited by JREkiwi; 01-31-2005 at 10:59 PM. Reason: Added 1.4 download link
Old 02-01-2005, 10:43 AM
Sage Fanatic

Thanks, that is an excellent idea!
Old 05-06-2005, 10:28 AM
Sage User

Cayars "Compress" Pickup Fix

I was having a similar problem. I dug through the Java code and found a problem with the way the XML propery file was being parsed with the latest Java runtime. Anyway, made some changes to the xml_processor, recompiled and now it works for me. Haven't performed a huge amount of testing but here it is non-the-less.

The way it's working for me is that the "Compress" button in Cayars (I'm using 1.7 still...). creates .job files. Then I've used Windows Control Panel Schedule to kick-off the pickup program every night (ffmpeg_convert.exe).

Personally I use VirtualDub instead of FFMPEG to compress using DivX/MP3 for my Archos GMini 400. I've attached the VirtualDub config file also for anyone who's interested.

I've given the zipfile version number 1.1. The previous version wasn't numbered but I'll assume it was release 1.0 unless anyone would like to tell me otherwise. I've also dropped the ffmpeg.exe from the file because it's big and available elsewhere for downloading.

If people are using this then I'll put some more effort into tidying the code up, so let me know!

Enjoy,
D.
Attached Files
File Type: zip FFMPEG_Pickup_Compressor v1.1.zip (71.5 KB, 290 views)
File Type: zip Archos.zip (518 Bytes, 232 views)