SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

Old 08-18-2005, 01:02 AM
Sage Advanced User

TV antenna splitter

Do I need antenna splitter with an amplifier or would just a spliter be enough if I'll be using one 350 and one 500 considering the signal I'm getting is good. Would be interesting to see what other people did. So far I've only been using a single tuner on my computer.
Thanks.
Old 08-18-2005, 01:35 AM
Sage Aficionado

It depends on the quality of your signal. I have 4 tv's in the house, 5 tv cards, a cable modem, and no amps, just some radioshack splitters. All my signals are ok, and my cable modem is perfect.
Old 08-18-2005, 02:37 AM
Sage Advanced User

The same goes on this end. I have no amps, 3 TV's and 2 PVR-150's. Good qualtity cables is essential though! A lot of people buy cheap cable, without knowing they'll get a lot of signal loss from that. Good cables and splitter make all the difference.
XP Pro SP2, SageTV v5.02.90, Athlon XP 3000+ (FSB 333 MHz), 2GB DDR RAM PC3200, 36 GB Western Digital Raptor, 200 GB Western Digital harddrive, Asus Radeon 9600 XTR, Plextor PX-708 8x DVD-/+RW, Pioneer 120S 48x CD-RW, PVR 150 MCE (2). Hauppauge MVP.
Old 08-18-2005, 02:44 AM
Sage Expert

I found an Svideo signal booster that plugs in and does a great job from Radio Shack. I am running through 50' of svideo cable on one TV. The signal booster was only $5.00. I couldn't believe it. It works fantastically.
The newest v7 release of SageTV, now a free upgrade for existing owners of SageTV, is a dream come true for any TV enthusiast. Combine it with Play-On for Netflix and Hulu (among others) and no stone has been left unturned. SageTV is TV done right!
-- Snoopy
Old 08-18-2005, 02:15 PM
SageTVaholic

It just depends on how good your signal is. I have 4 tuners and 3 tv's and have a phillips amp with a 4 way splitter built into it. Even with only 1 tv connected my picture doesn't look very good without the amp.
Old 08-18-2005, 03:06 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by h8dk97
Do I need antenna splitter with an amplifier or would just a spliter be enough if I'll be using one 350 and one 500 considering the signal I'm getting is good. Would be interesting to see what other people did. So far I've only been using a single tuner on my computer.
Thanks.
I've got both splitter and amp ... due to 4 tuners, direct to TV, vcr's, etc. Before tha amp my piicture quality dropped as I split off my cable. Now, it's great.
Old 08-18-2005, 03:35 PM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by mightyt
I've got both splitter and amp ... due to 4 tuners, direct to TV, vcr's, etc. Before tha amp my piicture quality dropped as I split off my cable. Now, it's great.
Out of curiosity, are you speaking of a coax amplifier? How much are they? Is there a way to go from Svideo (the only port on my video card) to Coax without loss of signal quality?
The newest v7 release of SageTV, now a free upgrade for existing owners of SageTV, is a dream come true for any TV enthusiast. Combine it with Play-On for Netflix and Hulu (among others) and no stone has been left unturned. SageTV is TV done right!
-- Snoopy
Old 08-18-2005, 03:49 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by snoopy
Out of curiosity, are you speaking of a coax amplifier? How much are they? Is there a way to go from Svideo (the only port on my video card) to Coax without loss of signal quality?

Here ya go ... This is what I did ...

http://forums.freytechnologies.com/f...51&postcount=2

BTW ... I used splitters after the amp ...