SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV BETA Release Products > SageTV Beta Test Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Beta Test Software Discussion related to BETA Releases of the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. regarding SageTV Beta Releases should be posted here.

View Poll Results: I want Live TV menu item on first screen of SAGE
Yes 11 36.67%
No 19 63.33%
Voters: 30. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-18-2005, 02:05 AM
Sage Aficionado

Send a message via AIM to chrysek Send a message via Yahoo to chrysek
Live TV

Please let me know why it is so difficult to put Live TV menu item on the first screen of SAGE? I mean I think SAGE TV is for watching TV like it would be PVR or something but its more like Media Player. I just never got that. People say, yeah you can add it to my remote control or press CTRL+V, sure, I can do all of that but I bever get it.

I did like Cayars STV just only because of that. My wife could use it very easily, now when I upgraded to 3.0.7 she is screaming at me how to watch TV... And it does not help to say press this button then go here or there...

Chris
Intel Pentium 4 3.0ghz 800mhz FSB, D.VINE 4 w/VFD display Case, GIGABYTE "GA-8IPE1000 PRO-G" i865PE Chipset Motherboard, Dual DDR 400 1024mb RAM (2x512mb), Windows XP Pro SP2 + SageTV 4.1.12 + Java j2re-1.5._02, ATI 9600 128mb DVI out, 200gb OS Drive, 2x160gb EIDE and 7x400gb SATA Video storage hard drives, Hauppauge PVR-250 to Time Warner HD Digital Cable Receiver, Hauppauge PVR-250 to Dish Network Receiver, Hauppauge PVR-350 to Time Warner Cable redy input, ATI HDTV card, USB-UIRT w/Hauppauge remote.
Old 08-18-2005, 02:33 AM
Sage Advanced User

But you can put a Live TV button on the front screen of sage by using nielm's dynamic menus and adding the "TV" command.
Old 08-18-2005, 05:58 AM

Just use the dynamic menu. No reason to hardcode the menu to any one persons liking.
Old 08-18-2005, 07:17 AM
SageTVaholic

Where can I find out about Nielm's dynamic menus? Will it allow me to rearrange my menu item? For example, I would like Malore's "Upcomming Movies" to be on the main menu and/or take out some of the more useless items in the menus.
Old 08-18-2005, 07:24 AM
SageTVaholic

Nevermind, found it. I think I know why I didnt install it in the first place, there's no clean uninstall. It puts files everywhere.in my sage dir and subdirs. I think Ill just make a back up and try it.
Old 08-18-2005, 07:29 AM
SageTVaholic

mlbdude's SageMC is probably the easiest to use and the most wife-friendly STV. I know because the wife actually uses it.

Gerry
Server - WHS 2011: Sage 7.1.9 - 1 x HD Prime and 2 x HDHomeRun - Intel Atom D525 1.6 GHz, Acer Easystore, RAM 4 GB, 4 x 2TB hotswap drives, 1 x 2TB USB ext Clients: 2 x PC Clients, 1 x HD300, 2 x HD-200, 1 x HD-100 DEV Client: Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit - AMD 64 x2 6000+, Gigabyte GA-MA790GP-DS4H MB, RAM 4GB, HD OS:500GB, DATA:1 x 500GB, Pace RGN STB.
Old 08-18-2005, 07:43 AM
Sage Fanatic

Tivo makes a big deal about pausing live TV, but since getting Tivo I hardly ever watch live TV and when I do, it is a show that's already recording. The same applies double for SageTV.
Old 08-18-2005, 07:52 AM
Sage Icon

Live TV is for watching sports, the news, or maybe the weather channel for live radar updates.

Even sports I watch at least delayed. Let the ballgame record for an hour or so while watching/doing something else and then by the time you start watching and skipping the commercials and junk you're back to live right near the end of the game.
I have ReplayTV and found that the 30 second skip is just about perfect for the gap in pro football between plays. "Oooh, he's down with a vicious hit" (30 second Quick Skip) "HIKE!" "It's Jones on an end around"
Then there's the 3-7 minute skip for the commercials.

That is one thing I miss from my ReplayTV's Being able to hit x-QuickSkip to jump ahead x minutes, or x-Jump to jump to x minutes into a show.
Old 08-18-2005, 01:15 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by waynedunham
Live TV is for watching sports, the news, or maybe the weather channel for live radar updates.
----------
The problem with using Sage for this is then it thinks you like all sports, news and weather and you end up with a lot of UN"Intelligent" recordings. I usually actually flip the TV tuner for these quick looks so sage doesn't get stupid on me.
Old 08-18-2005, 03:06 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrysek
I mean I think SAGE TV is for watching TV like it would be PVR or something but its more like Media Player. I just never got that.
It is, but I very rarely watch LiveTV, and a rarely even use the guide.
Old 08-18-2005, 03:09 PM
Sage Icon

Very true. I don't use Sage for watching anything but recorded media.

I have seen bizzare UN-intelligent recording when I do something silly. Like when I'm trying to adjust the color/brightness etc on my cards and have to set each card recording something so I can look at them on my TV. Optimal color sat/brightness is VASTLY different for the computer monitor vs. my TV's. Setting which look great on the PC are overly bright and the color saturation is WAY too high on both my TV's which have been adjusted with DVD Essentials and/or the Avia DVD.

Whenever I change something big which causes the drivers to reload, or put in a different driver it seems to force me to readjust the settings.

Then I end up having to do some massive retraining of the "intelligent" recording since I pick the channels to record that exhibit the most drastic effects instead of the content that would most closely fit something I would normally record.