SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Development and Customizations > SageTV Customizations
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Customizations This forums is for discussing and sharing user-created modifications for the SageTV application created by using the SageTV Studio or through the use of external plugins. Use this forum to discuss customizations for SageTV version 6 and earlier, or for the SageTV3 UI.

Old 11-24-2005, 08:40 AM
SageTVaholic

Arrow STV Import: CPU, Memory and Motherboard Monitor Module (20 Sep 2007 v1.5)

This is a module that can display CPU and Memory usage information.

It can also display Temperature, Voltage and Fan speed information from either MotherBoardMonitor, or SpeedFan using their shared memory interfaces.

You can graph the values of a counter to show the evolution of values over time, and it includes an optional CPU meter in the title bar to keep track of the CPU load on the system.

NOTE for placeshifters/extenders, the CPU/Memory/MB information is for the server...

More information and download instructions on the Sage Wiki.

History:

20 Sep 2007 v1.5 for 6.1/6.2 (Download)
  • Fixes for 6.2 theme support
  • Add support for viewing/graphing JVM heap usage
  • Add JVM GC() on delete command
  • Fixes to work with MVP and Placeshifter
  • Improved BG update handling
  • Added optional CPU and/or JVM usage graph in titlebar

19 Sep 2006 v1.4 for SageTV 5.0
  • Fixed bug where it crashed with speedfan
  • Fixed disappearing 'voltages' button
  • Correct display units
  • Fixed restarting background updates after a reconfigure

7 Sep 2006 v1.3 for SageTV 5.0
  • Added ability to monitor any process by exe name (see options menu)
  • Added Monitoring of Transcoder process

8 May 2006: v1.2
  • Added System Handles, Threads montoring
  • Added CPU, Memory, Handles and Threads monitoring for SageTVService (if running)

24/Nov/2005: v1.1 - First version

Last edited by nielm; 12-15-2007 at 06:55 AM.
Old 11-24-2005, 08:47 AM
SageTVaholic

My first ever JNI program -- ugh what an API that is!

The STV code uses Java code which makes calls via JNI to a native DLL in C++ which reads from shared memory populated by a delphi application... I am amazed it works!
Old 11-24-2005, 09:51 AM
Sage Icon

wow...you always have something cool in the works! Just cant help but stretch that big brain of yours eh?

My sage rigs:
Server - Windows 2003, Intel 865 PERLL w/ P4 3.2g 1gb ram, 3-PVR250, 3-PVRUSB's, 1 Skystar2, 1 twinhan 102g, 1 starbox DVB-S Cards. Evo network QAM encoder. 1.2TB storage 6.x server + MTSAGE for DVB
Client 1/Master BR - MediaMVP running a 30" Olevia LCD TV.
Client 2/Front Room - Shuttle ST61G4 XPC 1gig ram, 60gb HD, BTC9019 wireless keyboard/mouse & Harmony 880. 6.x client. GF6600GT driving a Sony WEGA 55" rear projection tv.
Old 11-24-2005, 10:23 AM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by nielm
My first ever JNI program -- ugh what an API that is!

The STV code uses Java code which makes calls via JNI to a native DLL in C++ which reads from shared memory populated by a delphi application... I am amazed it works!
Yeah, that was pretty much my first impression as well. Still, once you get used to it its actually pretty easy to work with. I'm VERY glad that it does work, though, because I really don't want to use Java to do everything.

Very nice plugin, by the way. I was hoping someone would write something like this.

I'm currently working on the music module, myself. Hopefully with the SageTV Studio out now, and the JNI interface, and the MediaFilePlayer interface, alot more plugins will start to pop up.

In the meantime, I'll have to check out SpeeFan. Motherboard monitor doesn't seem to support my current motherboard (at least not for voltages).
Old 11-24-2005, 01:42 PM
Sage

Sweet.
Old 11-25-2005, 03:09 AM
Sage Icon

Awesome Nielm ... You really bring useful stuff to the table ...

Thanks just never seems good enough ...

So I got it installed just fine. Downloaded WinMD5 v.2.05. It didn't have a packaged install so assumed it ran from whatever directory you place it in. After I ran it, I opened the same files shown on their web site and it reflected the same response info shown in their example screen shot.

OK, so I am not sure how WinMD5 ties in to the import? When I select Motherboard Monitor 5 in the configuration. I get an error ...

Error opening MBM5 shared Memory. 2-The system can not find the file specified.

I am sure this all has to do woth me not having a clue as to how I am suppose to be using WinMD5??

I have not downloaded Speed Fan yet, but intend to try it as well ...

Any suggestions??

Thanks, T.
Old 11-25-2005, 04:09 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by mightyt
OK, so I am not sure how WinMD5 ties in to the import? When I select Motherboard Monitor 5 in the configuration. I get an error ...
whats winmd5? This plugin only works with MBM or speedfan.
Old 11-25-2005, 10:57 AM
Sage Aficionado

Hi Nielm,

The page that you link to for Motherboard Monitor has "Motherboard Monitor" right in the middle of the screen, but the link immediately below it is a link to the MD5 software used to check MD5 hashes to ensure that a download is not corrupt or tampered with. I think that the poster above thought THAT was the software he needed to use. In actuality, the links that let you download Motherboard Monitor are in fact over on the right hand side. Just a strange web-site design, but I suspect thats why he was installing WinMD5.

You might just want to link to one of the mirror sites directly. For example, this is the Guru3d one:

http://downloads.guru3d.com/download.php?det=204
Old 11-25-2005, 10:59 AM
Sage Aficionado

Also, I was curious: are you reading the CPU usage from the shared memory segment, or from the operating system monitoring services? I'm curious because I have a dual-core CPU and I'm not sure if the graph will show the usage on both CPUs or only on CPU-0.
Old 11-25-2005, 11:13 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by deria
Also, I was curious: are you reading the CPU usage from the shared memory segment, or from the operating system monitoring services?
I am using the OS performance counters. I am not convinced that they are 100% accurate -- there is always a slight difference between what is reported in task manager, but this could be just due to sampling interval differences...

For dual CPU 100%==100% of *both* cpu cores...

The memory usage stats are identical to what task manager displays, and also come from the performance counters...

(see link in wiki to code used for obtaining CPU usage)
Thanks for clearing up WinMD5 confusion!
Old 11-25-2005, 04:00 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
whats winmd5? This plugin only works with MBM or speedfan.
I followed the link in your first post ... MotherBoardMonitor and clicked the md5 link (See attached JPG)

That sent me to WinMD5 below ...

http://www.blisstonia.com/software/WinMD5/

Hence my question ...

I just clicked one of the "mirror sites" (Livewire) and see that it wants to download MBM5370.exe!! Guess I need to back up a step or two and try again.

I'll let you know ...

Thanks, T.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg WinMD5.JPG (42.3 KB, 902 views)
Old 11-25-2005, 04:33 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by deria
Hi Nielm,

The page that you link to for Motherboard Monitor has "Motherboard Monitor" right in the middle of the screen, but the link immediately below it is a link to the MD5 software used to check MD5 hashes to ensure that a download is not corrupt or tampered with. I think that the poster above thought THAT was the software he needed to use. In actuality, the links that let you download Motherboard Monitor are in fact over on the right hand side. Just a strange web-site design, but I suspect thats why he was installing WinMD5.

You might just want to link to one of the mirror sites directly. For example, this is the Guru3d one:

http://downloads.guru3d.com/download.php?det=204
Sorry, I missed this before I posted above ...

Thanks deria !!! That's exactly what happended ...
Old 11-25-2005, 08:44 PM
Sage Icon

Looks like I am pretty good to go ...

I installed both MBM5 and SpeedFan ...

Speed Fan provided the most info ... (See Screen Shot)

But Speed Fan doesn't seem to show the any graph info, wheas MBM5 did??

At least I got it somewhat working though!!!

Thanks!, T.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CPU & Mobo Info.JPG (79.8 KB, 1023 views)
Old 11-26-2005, 03:33 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by mightyt
But Speed Fan doesn't seem to show the any graph info, wheas MBM5 did??
the hdd temp is 42 with a min + max of 42, so it is difficult to graph when the hdd temp changes, you should see something.
Old 11-26-2005, 06:58 AM
SageTVaholic

Does Motherboard Monitor need to be in memory for this plug-in to work?

***RIP SageTV***
Old 11-26-2005, 08:11 AM
SageTVaholic

MBM (or speedfan) needs to be running to display temps/fans/volts, yes.

For memory/CPU usage, neither needs to be running (select NONE as a data source)

Last edited by nielm; 11-26-2005 at 08:29 AM.
Old 11-26-2005, 10:57 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
MBM (or speedfan) needs to be running to display temps/fans/volts, yes.

For memory/CPU usage, neither needs to be running (select NONE as a data source)
Yep! You were right ... After a while the graph started to show up ...

Intersting ... Speed Fan does not have a "Load to system tray at Windows Startup" thus you have to manually launch it. So, I put it in the Startup folder and then it launches twice and I get 2 icons in the tray??

Am I missing something ... It' does work though ...

Thanks, T.
Old 11-29-2005, 02:31 PM
Sage Icon

Is it possible to run this on a client and have it display the server statistics? I seem to have occasional stuttering caused by other apps on the server (show analyzer).
Old 11-30-2005, 02:26 AM
Sage Aficionado

Hi Niel,

Is there any way to supress counters that are uninteresting? I'm using SpeedFan, and in the temperatures section I have 5 items listed, but only 3 are connected to actual sensors. I disabled the other 2 in SpeedFan, but they still show in your plugin.

Also, I ported your menu to SageMC (thats the STV that I use). I'm not sure if thats something you'd be interested in, but I could email you the revised (self-contained) menu. It basically looks and feels like SageMC (including the animated banner at the top).
Old 11-30-2005, 03:17 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by briands
Is it possible to run this on a client and have it display the server statistics? I seem to have occasional stuttering caused by other apps on the server (show analyzer).
No. (unless someone writes a server app to provide an network interface for counter data)