SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Media Extender
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Media Extender Discussion related to any SageTV Media Extender used directly by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to a SageTV supported media extender should be posted here. Use the SageTV HD Theater - Media Player forum for issues related to using an HD Theater while not connected to a SageTV server.

Old 12-31-2005, 11:09 AM
Sage User

AUUUGH I Give UP!!!

OK, I have been trying for days to get this MVP player working. I have left several issues in other threads and am not going to regurgitate it here. I thank you for all of your help, but I belive this issue is related directly to the router that I am using (DGL-4300) I think SageTV has a lot of issues yet to iron out with this router/MVP combo. Unfortunately, I have already registered my MVP Client and am out the $30....water under the bridge. I need to get this MVP working!

I have heard many of you refer to Matt's plugin and I would like to give that a try with my MVP. Whats a good link to read up on this plugin? Any other ideas for a client I should check out? I have tried the Hauppage software that came out with the MVP. Although it works, its far from ideal.

Sage support, admins, employees....please polish this software. IF it worked like its advertized, I would buy 4 more of these things.
Old 12-31-2005, 12:02 PM

Send a message via ICQ to _Demo_
The DGL router has a bug, the next version of SageTV will include a workaround.

_Demo_
Old 12-31-2005, 12:21 PM
Sage User

I give up too!!

Just bought an MVP from Sage and have also been pulling my hair out. I sincerely hope Sage gets this software fixed.
Old 12-31-2005, 12:49 PM
Sage Advanced User

I just got a MVP, plugged it in and it is working great. I get a freeze every now and then (maybe once per 2 hours), but other than that I'm extremely happy. The video quality is the best I have seen and the speed is pretty good. I just wish it played Divx movies.
Old 12-31-2005, 12:55 PM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Demo_
The DGL router has a bug, the next version of SageTV will include a workaround.

_Demo_

Thanks for the update Demo. When can we expect a release? Is there something I can help you test out? PM me if you would like a beta tester. By the way, Nigfink makes a good comment, can we expect Divx support any time soon?
Old 12-31-2005, 01:16 PM
Sage Icon

I would think that this warrants another beta release of 4.14, even the rest of it isn't finished yet.
Old 12-31-2005, 08:06 PM
Sage Aficionado

Actually, I think it's pretty nice of them to work around a bug in the router, rather than expecting the guys who made the router to fix their problem. Meanwhile, how about a better router?
Old 12-31-2005, 11:53 PM
Sage Icon

This is quite a good router, but those devices run software, thus there are bugs.
Old 01-01-2006, 09:28 AM
Sage User

Its actually its a great router....one of the best I have ever used. But Sage IMO did go above and beyond in the form of customer service. Demo sent me a Alpha load and it fixed everything right up. He was very responsive and helpfull. Now I hate to act like a spoiled child, but if they could only get Divx support, I would be happy as a clam. Thanks Sage!

Last edited by TripleTapper; 01-01-2006 at 09:33 AM.
Old 01-01-2006, 01:06 PM
Sage Icon

I ordered a new MVP yesterday, after selling two of them last summer..
Old 01-01-2006, 05:40 PM
Sage User

Linksys router also doesn't work correctly

The problem is not limited to any specific brand of router. My Linksys router also does not appear to work correctly with the Sage application for the MVP. Since the Happauge firmware application and Matt's client do work properly, I hardly am suspicious of the router. I believe the Sage MVP binary application has a bug (or two) and needs to be fixed. Doing a lot of router measurerments and comparisons will hopefully help isolate the software bug.

Larry
Old 01-01-2006, 06:01 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSHorwitz
The problem is not limited to any specific brand of router. My Linksys router also does not appear to work correctly with the Sage application for the MVP. Since the Happauge firmware application and Matt's client do work properly, I hardly am suspicious of the router. I believe the Sage MVP binary application has a bug (or two) and needs to be fixed. Doing a lot of router measurerments and comparisons will hopefully help isolate the software bug.

Larry
Larry,
What Linksys router are you using? I am using a Linksys BEFSR41 with no problems. I am also using a Linksys EZXS55W switch with no problems. Of course, both of these are wired Cat5E.
Steve
Old 01-01-2006, 06:57 PM
Sage User

Lynksys router

I also use a Linksys router, and had relatively good experience with Matt's plugin. I had serious stuttering on both hard-wired and wireless mvps after upgrading to the built-in sage mvp client. I upgraded the firmware in my Linksys router, and noticed significant improvement. I upgraded the router again, using third-party firmware (the most recent version of tofu's version of HyperWRT), and am extemely pleased with the result. It made a dramatic improvement.
Old 01-01-2006, 06:58 PM
Sage User

Steve,
I have the same Linksys router, also wired cat5e. As you may be aware, there are several firmware revs for this router. I recently flashed the router with the latest firmware since it was neccesary to allow the router to be used reliably with some Apple video conferencing software called iChat. Perhaps we have different firmware revs.

My earlier point is that 2 other client GUIs run in the MVP extender box with this router, yet Sage does not. I don't think the router is at fault, although there sure seems to be some subtle dependency on router performance.

Larry
Old 01-01-2006, 07:46 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Steve,
My earlier point is that 2 other client GUIs run in the MVP extender box with this router, yet Sage does not. I don't think the router is at fault, although there sure seems to be some subtle dependency on router performance.

Larry
Sage doesn't use the same architecture the other clients you mentioned use. It's possible their way is demanding something of the router that the other clients do not that exposed a weakness or bug in the router's design or software.

Last edited by blade; 01-01-2006 at 07:49 PM.
Old 01-01-2006, 07:51 PM
Sage Advanced User

Larry,
The question was more curiosity on my part than anything else. You are correct that I am running an earlier firmware and I do agree that it makes sense that there would be extender dependency on the routers performance.
Hopefully the alpha provided by Demo will help you as well. You might contact tech support to see.
Regards,
Steve
Old 01-01-2006, 08:29 PM
Sage User

You might want to check if your routers that have problems are using QoS for anything. If so, it may be throttling the bandwidth to the MVP. Try exempting the ports the MVP users or put them at a higher priority. I am using 2 Linksys WRT54GS with 2 MVPs. One MVP hardwired to my main router, one wired to the 2nd router which acts as a Wireless Bridge. Both MVPS work great, however, because I use QoS to control bandwidth to certain applications, I had to put the ports the MVP use at the highest priority, then the problems went away.
Old 01-01-2006, 08:48 PM
Sage User

I'm anxious to try the suggestion of raising the Qos for the ports used by MVP.

What specific ports are used?

Thanks very much,

Larry
Old 01-01-2006, 09:14 PM
Sage Icon

Somebody posted a list in one of the other threads.
Old 01-01-2006, 10:35 PM
Sage User

Quote:
I'm anxious to try the suggestion of raising the Qos for the ports used by MVP.

What specific ports are used?

Thanks very much,

Larry
Its in the FAQ here: Sage TV Faq