SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 01-11-2006, 07:13 AM
Sage User

Resume DVD Playback?

Is there a way to resume playback of a DVD from where it was stopped like Powere DVD Does (Or like SageTV treats shows)? I actually use this feature alot and i miss having it in Sage, do i have it disabled somehow? Is there a way to add it?

Thanks,

JT
Old 01-11-2006, 10:17 AM
Administrator

SageTV remembers where it was for partially watched recordings, but not for imported media or DVDs.

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 01-11-2006, 10:56 AM
SageTVaholic

This would be a nice feature to add. I would think since Sage tracks the time a DVD plays that it could somehow store in the wiz.bin the DVD name and where it is stopped. This is a nice feature in most of your DVD player software.

Gerry
Server - WHS 2011: Sage 7.1.9 - 1 x HD Prime and 2 x HDHomeRun - Intel Atom D525 1.6 GHz, Acer Easystore, RAM 4 GB, 4 x 2TB hotswap drives, 1 x 2TB USB ext Clients: 2 x PC Clients, 1 x HD300, 2 x HD-200, 1 x HD-100 DEV Client: Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit - AMD 64 x2 6000+, Gigabyte GA-MA790GP-DS4H MB, RAM 4GB, HD OS:500GB, DATA:1 x 500GB, Pace RGN STB.
Old 01-11-2006, 11:34 AM
SageTVaholic

This is a much needed feature. If I switch to see what's on tv really quick from a DVD and go back, the entire DVD starts over.

***RIP SageTV***
Old 01-11-2006, 12:09 PM
Sage Advanced User

I would also like to see this with both DVD and Imported Videos.

The original MVP sofware prompted for videos wether you wanted to Resume or Restart the file playback. Nice feature.

Clients: HP dm1(E350), HD-100
Old 03-15-2007, 06:30 PM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opus4 View Post
SageTV remembers where it was for partially watched recordings, but not for <b>imported media or DVDs.</b>

- Andy
Good grief! Why not?

I stopped using Sage as a DVD player a long time ago but Im tired of having to use so many separate programs so I gave v6 a try. Almost immediately I was disappointed to find out that Sage does not remember where I was when I last watched a DVD - which basically makes it unusable for me.

I just cannot believe that Sage lacks this feature after all this time. I had to check the manual and then to forums just to confirm I wasnt making a mistake. Makes we wonder why I should upgrade to v6 at all since I have to buy seperate DVD software anyway and the delta over v5 is not very noticeable to me.

I dont mean to bitch. I really like Sage but this seems like a minor feature to add which is a big annoyance not to have. (Much like support for the myHD MDP130.)
Old 03-15-2007, 06:41 PM
Administrator

You could try asking what has changed since the very old post you quoted was written.

SageTV can now remember watched positions for imported videos and hard-drive based imported DVDs. It does not, however, track DVD disks, because they are not stored in its database.

- Andy
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 03-15-2007, 07:27 PM
Sage Advanced User

While it remembers the position for imported DVD's, it still makes me watch the FBI warning. Is there anyway to not have to watch this? Or is this something that I can take care of in the ripping process?
Old 03-15-2007, 07:40 PM
Sage Fanatic

It is a nice feature and is in TheaterTek for example, but to implement it in Sage it is FAR easier just to remove it when you do your rip.

-PGPfan
Sage Server: Gigabyte 690AMD m-ATX, Athlon II X4 620 Propus, 3.0 GB ram, (1) VistaView dual analog PCI-e tuner, (2) Avermedia Purity 3D MCE 250's, (1) HD-Homerun, 1.5 TB of hard drives in a Windows Home Server drive pool, Western Digital 300GB 'scratch' disk outside the pool, Gigabit LAN
Sage Clients: MSI DIVA m-ATX, 5.1 channel 100w/channel amplifier card, 2 GB ram, , (1) Hauppauge MVP, (1) SageTV HD-100 Media Storage: unRAID 3.6TB server
Old 03-15-2007, 07:54 PM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opus4 View Post
You could try asking what has changed since the very old post you quoted was written.

SageTV can now remember watched positions for imported videos and hard-drive based imported DVDs. It does not, however, track DVD disks, because they are not stored in its database.

- Andy
Well, I didnt want to spam the forums with obvious questions so I searched the forums (including the post on v6 features) and the V6 manual for any mention of DVD resume feature and all I found was this thread. It may be old but it is still true, at least partly. Sage does not remember where you were when you last watched a DVD.

Now maybe some people rip every single DVD from Netflix but that is not going to happen in my household. Without this feature, Sage's DVD function is basically unusable which is disappointing/frustrating. I would very much like ot use Sage for all my HTPC needs.

If Sage can store every single TV show I ever watched in its databse, I fail to see why it cannot store the few DVD's that I watch. Doubly so if it can do this for ripped DVD's. After all I pay for Sage and this is a feature that even free DVD players have.

It is nice to see a resume feature in imported videos, especially since I finally figured out what those are (anything not recorded by Sage) but that is something we rarely do. We watch a DVD every few days however.

Maybe v7...
Old 03-16-2007, 05:44 PM
Sage Aficionado

I would like this feature too!
Old 03-16-2007, 06:44 PM
Sage Aficionado

http://forums.sagetv.com/forums/down...?do=file&id=70

Not sure if this still works with v6 (all my home DVDs are ripped so stopped using it after V5), but there is a way listed to make it keep track of the DVD drive as well.
Old 03-16-2007, 06:58 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple View Post
. Without this feature, Sage's DVD function is basically unusable which is disappointing/frustrating. I would very much like ot use Sage for all my HTPC needs.
Wow, Sage doesn't have 1 feature that you want and that makes the entire DVD functionality unusable

My standalone DVD player, and every other standard DVD player I've ever seen, doesn't have that "remember watched point" feature either. Are they all unusable?

Clients: 1 MediaMVP, 1 Placeshifter Client, & 1 SageTV Client.
Old 03-16-2007, 08:10 PM
Sage Expert

If this is a feature, I'd hope it would be optional, or at least that you be able to select that only the X most recent DVDs be saved (or both). I really don't want some database tracking where I left off watching 1,000 DVDs, when I only watch maybe 5 DVDs more than once.
Old 07-10-2008, 02:53 AM
Sage Advanced User

DVD resume not working

Hi,

So I hear that DVDs should resume from the last position like standard videos and this works for me when using imported DVD images, but not DVD disks. Does anyone know what I should be doing to get this working?

* merged *
Old 07-10-2008, 03:15 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dooferlad View Post
... this works for me when using imported DVD images, but not DVD disks.
That is the way it works & is discussed more in one of the old "Similar Threads" near the bottom of this page. DVD disks are not in the database.

Edit: Well, if the discussion is going to move to the other thread, they might as well be merged.

- Andy
Old 07-10-2008, 03:42 AM
Sage Advanced User

Ahh, sorry - slight misunderstanding. I mentioned this in a feature request thread and thought that someone said it already worked. I assumed I must have been doing something wrong, but clearly not.

Is it a planned feature? I am getting close to leaving my media centre machine in Sage all the time but this is a deal breaker.
Old 07-10-2008, 07:06 AM
Sage Icon

Since Andy linked this thread from a recent one I'll post my comment here.

I've never had the "Resume" feature work on ripped DVDs. They have always jumped back to the beginning. I got used to using Scene Selection from the DVD Menu; not that Resume actually working wouldn't be preferable. YMMV.

Clients: HD300 x2; HD200 x2; Placeshifter

Service: EPB Fiber (1Gb); OTA (we "cut the cord"); Netflix, Hulu, etc.
Old 07-10-2008, 07:27 AM
SageTVaholic

Resume has worked fine for me both from the Default and from SageMC. Mine are ripped as just movie and in it's natural VIDEO_TS folder structure. You may want to try differnt methods or programs to see if it makes a difference. I'm not too concerned with the feature missing in the DVD player because I rip everything to the server.

Gerry
Server - WHS 2011: Sage 7.1.9 - 1 x HD Prime and 2 x HDHomeRun - Intel Atom D525 1.6 GHz, Acer Easystore, RAM 4 GB, 4 x 2TB hotswap drives, 1 x 2TB USB ext Clients: 2 x PC Clients, 1 x HD300, 2 x HD-200, 1 x HD-100 DEV Client: Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit - AMD 64 x2 6000+, Gigabyte GA-MA790GP-DS4H MB, RAM 4GB, HD OS:500GB, DATA:1 x 500GB, Pace RGN STB.
Old 07-10-2008, 10:52 AM
Sage Advanced User

Purple - If it is such an important feature, for a DVD seemingly touched frequently, why not copy the DVD to a import directory (takes like 10 minutes or less), since it works flawlessly for imported DVD's? Problem solved. When you get sick of watching it, delete it.