SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Development and Customizations > SageTV Studio
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Studio Discussion related to the SageTV Studio application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the Studio software application should be posted here.

Old 10-02-2003, 03:28 PM
Sage

Running SageTV without PVR source

You can use a fake network encoder to run SageTV without a PVR source. This is useful when doing Studio development on a machine that has no tuner.

Paste this into your Sage.properties file:
mmc/encoders/123/1/0/video_crossbar_index=0
mmc/encoders/123/1/0/video_crossbar_type=1
mmc/encoders/123/capture_config=2050
mmc/encoders/123/encoder_merit=0
mmc/encoders/123/encoding_host=localhost:5000
mmc/encoders/123/encoding_host_login_md5=
mmc/encoders/123/video_capture_device_name=Faker
mmc/encoders/123/video_capture_device_num=0

Then Sage will think you have a network encoder and allow you to configure it. But it won't show up in the EPG because it doesn't think the encoder is alive.

If you want it to show up in the EPG, you can make Sage think its alive by using the attached program. To run it, extract the .class file to a directory. Go to DOS, cd into that directory, and type:
java NullEncodingServer 5000

That'll launch a fake encoding server on port 5000 that SageTV will do it's handshaking with. The EPG will then list that source.
Attached Files
File Type: zip nullencodingserver.zip (1.9 KB, 1124 views)
Old 01-30-2006, 07:33 PM
Sage Fanatic

Thanks Narflex,

This is exactly what I've been waiting for before doing much with Studio!

-PGPfan
Old 01-30-2006, 10:23 PM
Sage Advanced User

Just perfect!

Like I don't have enough distractions at work, now I can play with Studio at my desk and totally give up getting any real work done!
Old 02-14-2006, 10:29 PM
Sage Fanatic

Jeff,

What do I have to modify to have my fake tuners look like
digital tuners. I want to test some of my digital show detection..

Right now I search for "Digital" in the ConfiguredInputName to determine if it's a digital recording. Right now the fake tuners come back with "TV Tuner". Do I need a different NullEncodingServer file?

I moved my real system over to a 4.0 so I lost my development system.. So I either need a fake setup, or I need another client license! I'm not going to fork over for another client license just to do development work!

Jim
Old 03-02-2006, 12:23 AM
Sage Icon

Really? Can this be done with Sage 4.x ???

I have often wondered about this In the past ... I have my Sage "Server" setup and used by the fam with my TV ... Then I have a Sage "Client" set up in my home office ... The problem I always have is; if I customize my client and then want to make those same changes to my server, I have to basically do them on the server manually, one by one all over again ... I've always wished I had a way to customize a server version on my "office" PC and then just copy the files over to my server when I have completed my development / customization testing. I can do this with the menu.xml file, but not with property file changes or Studio changes.

Are we saying here that I can install the server version on my “office” PC, fake it out to think there are tuners in it, still get the EPG, and be able to use Studio and add plug-ins, etc. … and then just move the files over to my real server (minus the wiz.bin) of course??

If so, and since this thread was originally posted in 2003, does the nullencodingserver.zip work with Sage 4.x?

Thanks, T.
Old 03-02-2006, 01:29 AM
Sage Fanatic

Hi Mightyt,

Yes, this does indeed work as you've described. In fact, I'm currently going through some of the Studio tutorials using the 'fake' Sage as I type. It does have the EPG and everything, but you'll have to copy over some recordings if you want to do any testing with them. Other than that, it works great.

-PGPfan
Old 03-02-2006, 06:55 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by mightyt

I have to basically do them on the server manually, one by one all over again ... I've always wished I had a way to customize a server version on my "office" PC and then just copy the files over to my server when I have completed my development / customization testing. I can do this with the menu.xml file, but not with property file changes or Studio changes.
Hi mightyt,

I have the same setup as you (server in living room, client on separate PC), and do all development on the client. Hmm, why do you think that Studio changes can't be simply copied over ? I don't see any reason why a STV modified on the client could not be copied over to the server and just work. You're right on the properties though ...

Anyway, I also have the Nullserver installed on my client. Sometimes it's really helpful to have two Studio instances running at the same time, and this is the only way of doing it since the -multi option for the client has been dropped (unless you want to purchase another client license just for development).

Dirk
Old 03-02-2006, 01:13 PM
SageTVaholic

If you're comfortable with Studio, there's no need to be editing .property files directly. Instead, write some widget code to do a bunch of SetProperty calls. You can hook this code up to a menu item or just call it directly from Studio's Execute Widget Chain command. Then save the STV to a file, copy the file over to the server, load it into Sage there, and run the SetProperty code again to make the necessary property changes on the server side. As an added bonus, you can do all this while the server and client are running, without having to shut down or restart anything.
Old 03-04-2006, 02:26 AM
Sage Icon

Thanks all !!!

I did successfully install Sage Server, modified the properties file and ran the .class file ... and I have even have the EPG ...

but ... when I press Ctrl-Shift-F12 ... nothing?? ... no Studio??

Any ideas??
Old 03-04-2006, 09:20 AM
Sage Fanatic

No idea, it works fine for me. Sorry.

-PGPfan
Old 03-04-2006, 09:34 AM
SageTVaholic

T: Studio needs a licenced version of sage to work: did you enter a licence key when you started the new server installation?
Old 03-07-2006, 08:37 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by nielm
T: Studio needs a licenced version of sage to work: did you enter a licence key when you started the new server installation?
Nielm ... Yep ... That's probably it then ... I installed it, but didn't put in my key because I thought it would shut down my real server. So, the only way to do this is I'd have to buy another server license ... Hmm, that's lind of expensive for it's intended use ... non-PVR ...

Oh, well ... guess I have to go back and figure out how I can use my client to fool with Studio stuff and then transfer it to my server ... some how ...

Thanks again, T.
Old 03-08-2006, 02:39 AM
SageTVaholic

What's to figure out? Do your Studio editing on the client, save the STV to a file, copy that file over to the server, and load it up like any other STV.
Old 03-08-2006, 10:26 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKusnick
What's to figure out? Do your Studio editing on the client, save the STV to a file, copy that file over to the server, and load it up like any other STV.
I guess your're right ... I was just thinking it would be easy to copy my existing real real server folder over to the development box, make Stuio, Property, Menu file changes, add / change Icons, Backgrounds, etc. and then when all seems well ... just copy the folder back over to the real server.

But I suppose your recommendation would let me at least make learn a little Studio and if they are worth while changes then easily prot them back over ...

Thanks! T.
Old 06-02-2006, 04:26 PM
Sage Icon

Can't get dummy tuner to work

I tried to use the "dummy" tuner, but no luck.

I extracted the NullEncodingServer.class file to a directory, opened a "DOS" command prompt and CD'd to that directory, then typed the following:

<<E:\My Documents\downloads\Sage\Dummy Tuner\nullencodingserver>java NullEncodingS
erver 5000>>

I got the following error:

<<Exception in thread "main" java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: NullEncodingServer>>

I am using java version 1.5.0_06-b05. Does anyone have any ideas what could be wrong? I know very little about Java.
Old 06-02-2006, 07:20 PM
Sage Fanatic

I get that error if I include the .class on the end..

Code:
D:\nullencodingserver>java nullEncodingServer.class
Exception in thread "main" java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: NullEncodingServer/cl
ass
Now if I take away the class part...
Code:
D:\nullencodingserver>java NullEncodingServer 5001
NullEncodingServer launched on port 5001
Not sure if that will help.. I didn't see the ".class" in your prompt.. but I thought I'd share my experience anyway...

I'm using java Version 1.5.0 (build 1.5.0_04-b05)

Jim
Old 06-02-2006, 07:26 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiki
I tried to use the "dummy" tuner, but no luck.

I extracted the NullEncodingServer.class file to a directory, opened a "DOS" command prompt and CD'd to that directory, then typed the following:

<<E:\My Documents\downloads\Sage\Dummy Tuner\nullencodingserver>java NullEncodingS
erver 5000>>

I got the following error:

<<Exception in thread "main" java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: NullEncodingServer>>

I am using java version 1.5.0_06-b05. Does anyone have any ideas what could be wrong? I know very little about Java.
You might have a CLASSPATH environment variable set which doesn't include the current directory, so try

Code:
java -cp . NullEncodingServer 5000
Dirk
Old 06-02-2006, 09:23 PM
Sage Icon

Thanks - it looks like that was the main problem.
It seems to work now, but I noticed the DOS window fills up with Error messages (about 2 messages per second):

<<Error with EncodingServer socket:java.io.EOFException>>

followed by:

<<NullEncodingServer received connection:Socket[addr=/127.0.0.1,port=xxxx,localport=5000]>>

where the "xxxx" keeps incrementing by 1 (some of the port numbers I saw were in the range of 2000-4000).
Old 01-19-2007, 09:27 PM
Sage Icon

Is there a way to create a shortcut on the desktop that will run this class file? It's annoying to do it every time, manually.
Old 01-19-2007, 09:44 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by geogecko
Is there a way to create a shortcut on the desktop that will run this class file? It's annoying to do it every time, manually.
In case anyone else is interested:

Create a "New Shortcut" by right-clicking on the desktop.

Target: C:\WINDOWS\system32\cmd.exe /a /k java NullEncodingServer 5000

(or similar)

Start In: "C:\Program Files\SageTV\nullencoder"

(or similar)

Not sure what the /a /k switches are, but it appears to work.