SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Development and Customizations > SageTV Customizations
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Customizations This forums is for discussing and sharing user-created modifications for the SageTV application created by using the SageTV Studio or through the use of external plugins. Use this forum to discuss customizations for SageTV version 6 and earlier, or for the SageTV3 UI.

Old 02-08-2006, 08:21 PM
SageTVaholic

How can I bump up SageTVservice.exe's CPU priority?

Does anyone know if the below command will help accomplish this? If so, where would I put this command? In not, is there any other way to do it?

wrapper.ntservice.process_priority=ABOVENORMAL

***RIP SageTV***
Old 02-08-2006, 08:31 PM
Sage Icon

Task Manager>Set Priority?

P
Old 02-08-2006, 08:42 PM
SageTVaholic

XP wont let you do that.

***RIP SageTV***
Old 02-08-2006, 08:55 PM
SageTVaholic

Have you tried this? Right-click My Computer, choose Properties, Advanced, Performance Settings, Advanced, Background Services. This will give more CPU time to all services, not just Sage. But it sounds like you want your machine to run more like a server than like an interactive user workstation, and that's what this control is for.

You probably have to be logged in as an administrator to make this change (just like Task Manager's Set Priority command).
Old 02-08-2006, 09:02 PM
SageTVaholic

Thanks for replying. Yes, I know of that setting. I'm trying to only modify the priority of sageTVservice. Since I use this PC mainly as a workstation.

***RIP SageTV***
Old 02-08-2006, 09:56 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkanet
XP wont let you do that.
On XP Pro I just went through the process up to the warning dialog about possible instability...it looked like it would have worked.

P
Old 02-08-2006, 10:05 PM
SageTVaholic

If you click on YES, it wont let you. Trust me, its not that simple... But thanks for trying.

***RIP SageTV***
Old 02-09-2006, 01:37 PM
Sage Icon

Are you running Sage service through the system account on the machine? That may be stopping you from upping it's priority. I have a few services on my laptop running as my logged-in user, and I can adjust the priority fine on those. Might try sage server on here later in service mode just to see if I can if it's logged in as a regular user, not system...
Old 02-09-2006, 01:55 PM
SageTVaholic

Actually, even if I'm able to change the CPU priority in taskmanager, it's not a practical solution to what I'm trying to do. I'm looking for an automated way to do this when the the sagetvservice starts.

I found a very handy commandline tool which changes the priority of the sageTV service on the fly; regardless if it's using the local system account or not.

http://www.beyondlogic.org/solutions...rocessutil.htm

process.exe -p SageTVService.exe AboveNormal

***RIP SageTV***

Last edited by mkanet; 02-09-2006 at 04:10 PM.
Old 02-09-2006, 01:59 PM
Sage Icon

How did you get this utility to run on startup? Did you make a command file and put it in the starup folder?

thanks,
Old 02-09-2006, 02:03 PM
SageTVaholic

Yes. That's what I did. Its pretty nice because this tool doesnt stay in memory and is VERY small.

In case people are wondering why the heck I'm trying to do this... it's to prevent problems with video stuttering (ruining the recordings) when sagetv is recording in the background and there's a high CPU load from forground processes; I use my SageTV machine as a workstation as well.

In the past, I used to think bumping up the CPU priority in SageTV.exe would help prevent stuttering under high CPU load, but later realized the CPU priority should go to the service since in my setup the service is doing all the critical work.

EDIT: I forgot to mention that I had to add a 30 second delay before running that commandline in the Windows startup menu in order for it to run after the sagetvservice starts during bootup. I used another free command line too called sleep.exe

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovingHDTV
How did you get this utility to run on startup? Did you make a command file and put it in the starup folder?

thanks,

***RIP SageTV***

Last edited by mkanet; 02-09-2006 at 05:31 PM.
Old 02-10-2006, 01:02 PM
SageTVaholic

** This tweak REALLY WORKS! **

I'm happy to say this tweak DOES prevent sageTV's recordings from being ruined with stuttering when there are CPU intensive tasks running on the same machine! Plus, it also prevents sageTVservice.exe from crashing or being unstable during high CPU usage (when recording multiple digial/analog channels).

Before this tweak, ORB Networks video encoding/streaming would cause problems while recordings multiple channels.

***RIP SageTV***
Old 09-24-2006, 09:27 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkanet
I'm happy to say this tweak DOES prevent sageTV's recordings from being ruined with stuttering when there are CPU intensive tasks running on the same machine! Plus, it also prevents sageTVservice.exe from crashing or being unstable during high CPU usage (when recording multiple digial/analog channels).

Before this tweak, ORB Networks video encoding/streaming would cause problems while recordings multiple channels.
I've had problems off and on with stuttering and encoding errors due to high system loads.

Could you post this command file you created for general use?

Thanks,
-D
Old 09-25-2006, 05:47 AM
Sage Aficionado

This is a great utility...

I've been using this utility for some time. I have a Pentium D and use it to for the SageTV service to run on one processor and the UI to the other. I still need to figure out how to get comskip to run on one also (from Dirmon2). I think I can set it up from a batch file (ie run comskip, then set process to 1 cpu at low priority).
Old 09-30-2006, 02:43 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdnttoker
I've had problems off and on with stuttering and encoding errors due to high system loads.

Could you post this command file you created for general use?

Thanks,
-D
I've uploaded two files that I wrote to automatically set SageTVService process to AboveNormal on every boot in Windows XP. The .com file should work without any other downloads. The .com file is just a complied version of the batch script. If it works for you, use it.

If you'd rather use the batch file, rename the .txt to .cmd to use in Windows. Copy a shortcut to your startup folder. You'll need the following 2 files if you want to use the .cmd script:
http://www.beyondlogic.org/solutions...rocessutil.htm
http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=20334

-D
Attached Files
File Type: zip SETSAGEP.zip (1.0 KB, 232 views)
File Type: txt setSageP.txt (80 Bytes, 273 views)

Last edited by mdnttoker; 09-30-2006 at 05:21 PM.