SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 03-04-2006, 10:43 AM
Sage Icon

Prioritizing Tuners (HD-OTA higher than PVR-500)

I recently installed a FusionHDTV5 Lite in my SageTV HTPC, and currently have a PVR-500 hooked up to two Verizon FiOS DCT2500 STB's.

I have a show that normally comes on Verizon TV, but is also in my lineup on the FusionHDTV card. However, in my current recording schedule, it shows that it's going to record that show via the Verizon lineup, instead of the HD OTA.

The Fusion tuner shows up as number 1 in the tuner setup, but I'm not sure that matters. Is there a way to tell Sage to use the Fusion when it finds the same show in HD, versus SD, without having to go into all my series and set the channel to the HD channel? Is it because I just haven't let things update (just got done setting up the HD tuner...)?

I'd rather not have to set up the series to record directly to HD, because if for some strange reason, OTA isn't working, it's easy to just remove the tuner in Sage, and get on with life. But, if I then have to go back into each series, and switch them back to the Verizon lineup, that would be a PITA.
Old 03-04-2006, 10:54 AM
Sage Advanced User

Normally there's a tuner 'merit' in the sage config file that controls which tuner has priority, but I think it's a pretty well known bug that this doesn't work for HD (at least I haven't seen anyone post otherwise). I've had the same problem since the initial beta, I've contacted Sage support but never received a reply - the current workaround is to just set the HDTV channel in the favorite as the only recording source for the content. Not really a great solution, but something to help keep things somewhat smooth until the issue is resolved.
Old 03-04-2006, 10:57 AM
Sage Icon

Well, that stinks. But I guess it's better than not being able to record anything...
Old 03-17-2006, 04:27 PM
Sage Advanced User

Let me see if I understand this (hard task for me to begin with ). If I have two tuners and i set the merit to 1 on tuner A, that should be the primary tuner. If I record one show that's the tuner that should be used, right? I have tried that and no joy. It seems that it sets the tuner to use alphabetically So does this setting the merit just not work, and I assume there are no work arounds? TIA
Old 03-17-2006, 06:40 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobrap
Let me see if I understand this (hard task for me to begin with ). If I have two tuners and i set the merit to 1 on tuner A, that should be the primary tuner. If I record one show that's the tuner that should be used, right? I have tried that and no joy. It seems that it sets the tuner to use alphabetically So does this setting the merit just not work, and I assume there are no work arounds? TIA
LOL, where is the setting for merit? I've never seen it. I see the exact same thing you do, my FusionHDTV card is listed as being #1, but I have to force recording on that tuner, from what I remember...
Old 03-17-2006, 06:59 PM
Sage Advanced User

In sage.properties....
mmc/encoders/1642691032/encoder_merit=0
I can't even figure out how to force recording on a specific tuner...I'm not the sharpest knife in the drawer when it comes to SageTV. Been using it less than a week.

Last edited by bobrap; 03-17-2006 at 07:01 PM.
Old 03-17-2006, 10:13 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
In sage.properties....
mmc/encoders/1642691032/encoder_merit=0
I can't even figure out how to force recording on a specific tuner...I'm not the sharpest knife in the drawer when it comes to SageTV. Been using it less than a week.
There's a "Channel" option, when you select to record the series. Select the channel that you want to record, select record series, then drop down to the channel option, and hit +/- to get the channel you want.

Thanks for the properties setting...too bad it doesn't work.
Old 03-18-2006, 06:34 AM
Sage Advanced User

Ok, I've seen that. But I have two tuners that us ethe same channel numbers. One is canle and the other is Sat. I want to use the sat as the primary tuner and cable for second recordings. That's why I was hoping that one could set a tuner priority. I wonder if I rename channels would make a difference?
Old 03-18-2006, 08:58 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Ok, I've seen that. But I have two tuners that us ethe same channel numbers. One is canle and the other is Sat. I want to use the sat as the primary tuner and cable for second recordings. That's why I was hoping that one could set a tuner priority. I wonder if I rename channels would make a difference?
Oh, I see what you are saying...although I'm not sure how to do that, if the merit thing doesn't work...

Maybe it got fixed in 4.1.10?
Old 03-18-2006, 09:11 AM
Sage Advanced User

I'm using the new version. It seems to be hit and miss. But then it is a beta.