SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Media Extender
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Media Extender Discussion related to any SageTV Media Extender used directly by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to a SageTV supported media extender should be posted here. Use the SageTV HD Theater - Media Player forum for issues related to using an HD Theater while not connected to a SageTV server.

Old 06-09-2006, 12:57 PM
Sage User

Wireless Media extender, No IP address.

I just set up SageTV media center v5 the other day, got it working great. Placeshifter on my PC / Laptop works great..

I received my media extenders today (1 wired 1 wireless) and proceeded to hook them up.. well, the first thing I noticed was that the wired one came in a nice celophane sealed box, whereas the wireless one came in a plain white OEM style box.

Upon opening the wireless box, the unit itself looked like it may have been opened.. but I opened the box on the wired one and it had similar markings / construction.. fine.

now on to why im posting:

Wireless router: Netgear WGT624 v3
SSID Broadcast: On
Security: none
MAC filters: none
Static Assignments: none

When I power up the Extender, it goes into the wireless setup where it finds the broadcasted SSID, I choose it, it takes me to the wireless config menu, I hit apply... "Checking wireless access point..." ... "MediaMVP is successfully connected to this wireless access point but is unable to obtain an IP address"

Well, thats interesting because my laptop can also connect to it, but the laptop has no problem obtaining an IP address.

I then hooked the wireless MVP to my wired network, restarted it, and it picked up an IP address without an issue.

bad unit?
Old 06-09-2006, 02:33 PM
Sage User

Reset the wireless router to factory defaults, still no go..

took the wireless MVP to a friends house, got an IP no problem.

*smacks forehead* seems like some sort of device / protocol incompatibility or something.. oh well atleast I know the box works!
Old 06-09-2006, 03:04 PM
Sage User

There is a port that needs be be opened. Not sure which one.
Old 06-10-2006, 06:52 AM
SageTVaholic

Are you restricting network access based on MACs? The wireless MVP somehow "changes" the wireless MAC after booting up. I have no verified this personally but others have in another thread. (I think the thread announcing the Beta version with wireless MVP support.)

Sage Server: 8th gen Intel based system w/32GB RAM running Ubuntu Linux, HDHomeRun Prime with cable card for recording. Runs headless. Accessed via RD when necessary. Four HD-300 Extenders.
Old 06-10-2006, 11:59 AM
Sage Icon

You should probably double check your security type on your access point. I encountered that error when I enabled WEP with a shared key authentication type. I was able to resolve the problem by going to WEP with an Open System authentication type.
Server : Intel Core i7 2.8 GHz Processor: Gigabyte X58A-UD3R Motherboard: 6 GB Memory : 1 120 GB Intel SSD :3 2 TB WD hard drives:1 Hauppauge PVR 2250: 3 HDHomeRuns:1 HD300 extender;1 HD200 extender;1 HD100 extender 2 MVP Media Extenders: Windows 7 64 bit Home Premium all updates applied, SageTV V7.1.7.254.
Old 06-10-2006, 03:30 PM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by XSiVE

Wireless router: Netgear WGT624 v3
SSID Broadcast: On
Security: none
MAC filters: none
Static Assignments: none
^^
no security enabled, no mac filtering, nothing.. its wide open factory defaults...

I got it working when i found an older wireless router.. i even enabled some security etc on it and it seems to work with that one.. its definetly some strange device incompativility or something.. /sigh.
Old 06-10-2006, 06:04 PM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by XSiVE
^^
no security enabled, no mac filtering, nothing.. its wide open factory defaults...

I got it working when i found an older wireless router.. i even enabled some security etc on it and it seems to work with that one.. its definetly some strange device incompativility or something.. /sigh.
I am working with Hauppauge on this issue as well. I have a Belkin Pre-N (Basically a 'G' router with MIMO technology...) that is having issues connecting as well.

For those of 'us' who are having difficulty (the same listed above... "MVP is connected but cannot receive an IP...") let's consolidate the routers that appear to be having issues.

For those of us who aren't having issues (and only with the Wireless MVP - not adapter rigged Wired MVP's), which Routers are you currently having succes with.

-Jason
Old 11-22-2006, 04:49 PM
Sage User

I can tell this does not work with the Belkin N1. Switched to my older Microsft AP G and worked ok.