SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Media Extender
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Media Extender Discussion related to any SageTV Media Extender used directly by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to a SageTV supported media extender should be posted here. Use the SageTV HD Theater - Media Player forum for issues related to using an HD Theater while not connected to a SageTV server.

Old 06-12-2006, 08:23 AM
Sage Icon

Effective MVP Wireless Range?

I would like to get a wireless MVP, but am curious about the effective range. I've seen others say that once they are in another room from their access point, they lose the connection or have other difficulties.

Are there good reports from 2 stories away, in garage, guest house, etc?

I would like to put mine 2 stories away from my AP. I get good signal stregth with a laptop here, so I would think that the MVP would be fine. [In fact, I use to have my Sage server connected wirelessly from here, and it always ran fine - no hiccups.]

thanks
Matt
Old 06-13-2006, 08:20 AM
SageTVaholic

Mine is about 25 feet from the AP and the connection has 3 bars. Video plays fine but the connection sometimes drops when there is no activity.

The effective range seems to be way less than what you would expect.

Sage Server: 8th gen Intel based system w/32GB RAM running Ubuntu Linux, HDHomeRun Prime with cable card for recording. Runs headless. Accessed via RD when necessary. Four HD-300 Extenders.
Old 06-13-2006, 02:35 PM
Sage Icon

The lack of positive results is a little discouraging, but I guess there aren't tons of the wireless MVPs out there yet either.

Matt
Old 06-13-2006, 06:29 PM
Sage Icon

FWIW, If the MVP uses a standard antenna connector you might try adding a high-gain antenna. I put them on my linksys hardware and it made a huge difference in range. I don't use a linksys pc card on the lappy (none have an ext ant port), but I can get connections to hotspots from over 200ft at 11mbps.

There are also sites on the net describing how to make a parabolic slip-over for rod-type antennas. Makes things fairly directional too.

YMMV

Clients: HD300 x2; HD200 x2; Placeshifter

Service: EPB Fiber (1Gb); OTA (we "cut the cord"); Netflix, Hulu, etc.
Old 06-14-2006, 05:54 AM
Sage Icon

Good point...I hadn't thought of that. I assume that the MVP uses the standard (BNC?) type antenna connection?

Matt
Old 06-14-2006, 09:24 AM
Sage User

Another important thing to try is different channels. I see a huge difference in coverage between the channel that my AP automatically selects and channel 1 which seems optimal for me.