SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

Old 08-04-2006, 03:03 PM
Sage Fanatic

Can't get tuners configured..please help

I have a HTPC with a fusion Blue bird USB HD and a fusion PCI HD, and a MCE-150 for analog. I loaded Sagetv 5 trial. I just can't get the tuner cards setup correctly.

When I setup the soure for Fusion HDTV, is the Input type "Digital TV tuner or TV tuner"
is, EPG Line "Comcast" or Comcast Digital

I have a Comcast cable box elsewhere in the house and I get the local channels in basic and HD.

My source chocies are FusionHDTV, WDM Video capture
Bluebird, Avstream Video Capture
Hauppauge WinTV PVR PCI II Capture (This one works fine)

any clue on how to set ther HD Tuners correctly? I'm lost.

Thanks For any help
Ron
Old 08-04-2006, 06:15 PM
Sage Icon

For the Fusion, it should be Digital TV Tuner, if you want HD channels, you'd want the Digital TV Tuner.

But, I think we are lacking a little background here. What exactly are you wanting to do with your HD tuners? Do you have a VHF/UHF TV antenna mounted on your roof/attic? This is normally the configuration used to recieve Over-The-Air HD channels with the Fusion (no idea about the blue bird).

If you have a Comcast STB, then most likely, you will not be able to use your HD tuners to capture HD content, or at least, not in HD quality. Unless, perhaps you can record it via firewire or something.

If trying for OTA, it sounds like you should have it setup correctly. Are you getting any signal by using the Signal Checker software provided with your FusionHDTV card? I'd say you need around 28dB to get a good enough signal without stuttering or dropouts.

Oh, and welcome to the SageTV forums! =)
Old 08-04-2006, 07:38 PM
Sage Fanatic

Thanks for the reply. I want to be able to record HD from my comcast cable, not over the air HD. The blue bird is the USB version of the fusion HD tuner.

When I try to scan for channels with the fusion software that came with the fusion card it crashes at 62%, and craches on the file msvcr71.dll. No idea why, I guess I need to figure that out now. But before it blows up, it does find all the channels, even the HD ones.
Old 08-04-2006, 08:26 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdefino
I want to be able to record HD from my comcast cable, not over the air HD.
Not going to happen in Sage without using a STB and firewire. HD tuners only do QAM with the software that comes with the cards and not in 3rd party programs such as Sage.
Old 08-04-2006, 08:28 PM
Sage Icon

Have you downloaded the most recent version from DViCO? They just released a new version not too long ago.

I'm not sure it's possible to record HD from Comcast. How exactly do you have your HD card hooked up to cable? Directly to the cable? I don't think that's possible if that is how you are doing it. I think the STB is needed to receive the HD channels.

Ah, perhaps the version of Windows you are running is WinXP MCE?

If so, you'll need to disable the 2-3 MCE services that are automatically running on the machine, which ends up taking control of the Fusion card.

If you don't know how, let me know.
Old 08-05-2006, 09:30 AM
Sage Fanatic

It's the lastest version. Just downloaded yesterday and I get a msvcr71.dll error.
Old 08-05-2006, 09:41 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
It's the lastest version. Just downloaded yesterday and I get a msvcr71.dll error.
msvcr71.dll is a module containing standard C library functions such as printf, memcpy, and cos. It is a part of the Microsoft C Runtime Library. Obviously the Divco software requires this runtime file and you don't have it. Search the net or find a complete install for Divco.

Gerry
Server - WHS 2011: Sage 7.1.9 - 1 x HD Prime and 2 x HDHomeRun - Intel Atom D525 1.6 GHz, Acer Easystore, RAM 4 GB, 4 x 2TB hotswap drives, 1 x 2TB USB ext Clients: 2 x PC Clients, 1 x HD300, 2 x HD-200, 1 x HD-100 DEV Client: Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit - AMD 64 x2 6000+, Gigabyte GA-MA790GP-DS4H MB, RAM 4GB, HD OS:500GB, DATA:1 x 500GB, Pace RGN STB.
Old 08-05-2006, 04:47 PM
Sage Fanatic

I searched my system for it and found like 4 different version of it. Also I have the complete install of Divco.

Thanks
Old 08-05-2006, 06:25 PM
SageTVaholic

And that is probably part of your issue. If you truly have 4 different versions (actual different version number) of that .dll I would say that the app is finding and using the wrong version causing the crashes. Different apps can install that .dll and possibly the wrong version is being used.

Gerry
Server - WHS 2011: Sage 7.1.9 - 1 x HD Prime and 2 x HDHomeRun - Intel Atom D525 1.6 GHz, Acer Easystore, RAM 4 GB, 4 x 2TB hotswap drives, 1 x 2TB USB ext Clients: 2 x PC Clients, 1 x HD300, 2 x HD-200, 1 x HD-100 DEV Client: Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit - AMD 64 x2 6000+, Gigabyte GA-MA790GP-DS4H MB, RAM 4GB, HD OS:500GB, DATA:1 x 500GB, Pace RGN STB.
Old 08-05-2006, 07:47 PM
Sage Fanatic

I loaded an old image of my HTPC that contained just the OS. So then I loaded Dvico and scanned for the channels and the scan went fine. I found a bunch of analog and a bunch of Digital channels. I can tune to an analog channel and get a picture. But Whn I tune to a digital channel I get no signal. Shouldn't I be able to see my local channels in HD (digital)? I can get them on my Comcast STB just fine.
Old 08-05-2006, 07:59 PM
Sage Icon

Nope, that is what we have been trying to point out. Comcast (among others) put the analog signal on the digital cable line (because they are required to, until 2009). This means that your old, junky, regular old analog TV, can get those channels, and hense, your Fusion card.

Digitial is a different story. Digital is broadcast in several different forms. I can't remember all the details, but OTA (using a regular old UHF/VHF antenna) is ATSC. They are usually encrypted (channels from the cable company), at least, the non-local HD channels. I think that is where the problem is. Unless you get a cable box that supports Firewire recording, you can't record the HD content that is coming from the cable company, at least, in it's HD glory. You could record it from the cable box, but that usually means via S-Video...which defeats the purpose.

Basically, if you want to get HD channels with your Fusion card, you are going to have to use a regular old TV antenna.

You can find the stations nearest you, via www.antennaweb.org, and entering your address. If you are against putting an antenna outside, on your roof, you could always install one in your attic, provided you don't have aluminum decking on your roof, or live more than about 35 miles from the towers.

Last edited by geogecko; 08-05-2006 at 08:02 PM.
Old 08-05-2006, 08:11 PM
Sage Fanatic

That answers it then. So basicly I'm stuck with my OTA HD then. Thank you for explaining it to me. When will we be able to record HD from the cable comapny...cable card?
Old 08-05-2006, 08:31 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
That answers it then. So basicly I'm stuck with my OTA HD then. Thank you for explaining it to me. When will we be able to record HD from the cable comapny...cable card?
No one knows, but I wouldn't hold my breath on it being anytime soon.

I can't get OTA HD at all and don't want to fool with STBs and firewire so I'm as anxious as anyone.
Old 08-06-2006, 05:00 AM
Sage Fanatic

I just checked my HD PVR cable box and it has ethernet, firewire, usb. So, it sounds like I can record HD encrypted channels with the firewire. It that true? If so were do I begin to get that working.

Also thanks for all the help.
Old 08-06-2006, 07:19 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
I just checked my HD PVR cable box and it has ethernet, firewire, usb. So, it sounds like I can record HD encrypted channels with the firewire. It that true? If so were do I begin to get that working.

Also thanks for all the help.
Firewire recording
Search is your friend.

Gerry