SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Media Extender
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Media Extender Discussion related to any SageTV Media Extender used directly by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to a SageTV supported media extender should be posted here. Use the SageTV HD Theater - Media Player forum for issues related to using an HD Theater while not connected to a SageTV server.

Old 08-19-2006, 01:56 PM
Sage Aficionado

Extender & DVD questions

Okay, so as I understood it, the only thing that kept me from getting an extender was the inability to play my ripped DVDs on it. All other functionality of my Sage Client was supported.

Now I see that, after returning to the forum after many months away, that people have managed to succesfully transcode DVDs and play them over the MVP. My questions:

1) Is there a FAQ/guide on how to do this?
2) I assume stereo sound is the best available at the MVP end?
3) If the DVD needs to be transcoded, what kind of server horsepower is required? I use an AMD 1800+ for my server; would that (or a 2500+) be sufficient for 1 MVP?
4) As I understand it, music player/MP3 func is retained but not the winamp plugin?

Thanks,

Jontom
Old 08-19-2006, 03:34 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonTom
Okay, so as I understood it, the only thing that kept me from getting an extender was the inability to play my ripped DVDs on it. All other functionality of my Sage Client was supported.
Correct, the MVP can't play DVDs. But it can play VOBs, or playlists of VOBs, there's an import to automatically create "DVD" playlists for the MVP.

Quote:
Now I see that, after returning to the forum after many months away, that people have managed to succesfully transcode DVDs and play them over the MVP. My questions:

1) Is there a FAQ/guide on how to do this?
Personally, I wouldn't bother with transcoding or the like, you may regret it later

Quote:
2) I assume stereo sound is the best available at the MVP end?
Yes, you would have stereo sound, at least with the older MVPs. I've heard the newer versions (the Wireless, and recent revs of the wired) have S/PDIF output that should support AC3.

Quote:
3) If the DVD needs to be transcoded, what kind of server horsepower is required? I use an AMD 1800+ for my server; would that (or a 2500+) be sufficient for 1 MVP?
Really not much, it's just got to transcode the audio, which is pretty trivial.

Quote:
4) As I understand it, music player/MP3 func is retained but not the winamp plugin?
Yeah, and I think other audio formats (WMA) are transcoded by Sage for the MVP as well. It's really turning out to be a great little extender. Only thing missing is HD component output. Hopefully Sage will have a solution for that (though it wouldn't be the MVP of course).

Last edited by stanger89; 08-19-2006 at 06:55 PM.
Old 08-19-2006, 04:25 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanger
Correct, the MVP can't play DVDs currently. Personally, I wouldn't bother with transcoding or the like, you may regret it later

However I think I recall someone making an import to play DVDs on the MVP (which can play VOBs currently).
I know there is no DVD drive, obv. And I didn't mean taking my video_ts folder and turning it into a Divx, etc, as I maintain full menus and (usually) rip the full disc as a backup. I don't simply copy the movie as many do.

Quote:
Yes, you would have stereo sound, at least with the older MVPs. I've heard the newer versions (the Wireless, and recent revs of the wired) have S/PDIF output that should support AC3.
Yeah, I saw that the extender is listed as having a digital coax output. Maybe AC3 can be passed through? Maybe this is coming? (not needed for me as the MVP will just be attached via comp audio cables in the bedroom, but would be intruiging nonetheless).

Quote:
Really not much, it's just got to transcode the audio, which is pretty trivial.
That's what i assumed. What about divx? What kind of horsepower is required there?

Quote:
Yeah, and I think other audio formats (WMA) are transcoded by Sage for the MVP as well. It's really turning out to be a great little extender.
It looks like it may be a near ideal solution for me so that I can stop plugging in and unplugging my laptop everyday. I am tired of doing that and I worry about wear on all the connectors.

Quote:
Only thing missing is HD component output. Hopefully Sage will have a solution for that (though it wouldn't be the MVP of course).
Agreed, although it is a moot point for me.

If I change all my ripped DVDs to one VOB, are menus, etc, ie: full disc features maintained?
Old 08-19-2006, 05:11 PM
Administrator

Quote:
If I change all my ripped DVDs to one VOB, are menus, etc, ie: full disc features maintained?
While the MVP can play the VOB files (some other threads cover that in more detail), you won't be able to have the DVD menus that way. To play the entire DVD, you would essentially set up the video playlist to run through the VOB files in sequence, or use that import for DVD playlists.

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 08-19-2006, 06:26 PM
Sage Aficionado

<sighs>

Oh well, I guess the MVP still isn't quite what I need/want.

Anyone have any suggestions on a $100 fanless DVD/Divx capable client solution????
Old 08-19-2006, 06:53 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Yeah, I saw that the extender is listed as having a digital coax output. Maybe AC3 can be passed through?
I don't really know how that works, it should be theoretically possible to pass AC3, but I don't know if Sage can tell the difference between an MVP with digital out and one without.

Quote:
Maybe this is coming? (not needed for me as the MVP will just be attached via comp audio cables in the bedroom, but would be intruiging nonetheless).
It would be great though.

Quote:
That's what i assumed. What about divx? What kind of horsepower is required there?
Not really sure, divx would have to be decoded and converted to MPEG-2 for the MVP (kind of a pointless operation, converting MPEG-2 DVD, to Divx, only to be converted back to MPEG-2).

Quote:
No, it would play throught the menues (as they are just video), but without the navigation support, none of them would be functional. It's the navigation support that makes the menues interactive, and the MVP doesn't support that.
Old 08-19-2006, 07:16 PM
SageTVaholic

I can transcode DivX on my 2.4 GHz Celeron. It uses just about all of the CPU but it plays 99% of the time without pauses. Every once in a while on fast moving scenes the video will get jerky for a second or two.

Sage Server: 8th gen Intel based system w/32GB RAM running Ubuntu Linux, HDHomeRun Prime with cable card for recording. Runs headless. Accessed via RD when necessary. Four HD-300 Extenders.
Old 08-19-2006, 09:21 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanger89
I don't really know how that works, it should be theoretically possible to pass AC3, but I don't know if Sage can tell the difference between an MVP with digital out and one without.
sounds like something for more qualified minds than mine to think about. Seems to me that if Sage defaulted to thinking that the MVP had the d-out, it would send it for pass-through, and if the receiving end couldn't pass-through, the audio would just die there. People with d-out-less MVPs would just have to not attempt to send AC3.

Quote:
It would be great though.
agreed

Quote:
Not really sure, divx would have to be decoded and converted to MPEG-2 for the MVP (kind of a pointless operation, converting MPEG-2 DVD, to Divx, only to be converted back to MPEG-2).
agreed, but I wasn't refering to archiving my DVDs as Divxes, but rather to other divx videos that I have, mainly shows like 24 where I record the entire season before watching it. I'd like to compress them to save space. I am considering converting all recordings as I am watching on SDTV and quality isn't as much of an issue.

Quote:
No, it would play throught the menues (as they are just video), but without the navigation support, none of them would be functional. It's the navigation support that makes the menues interactive, and the MVP doesn't support that.
Yeah, that's too bad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmiranda
I can transcode DivX on my 2.4 GHz Celeron. It uses just about all of the CPU but it plays 99% of the time without pauses. Every once in a while on fast moving scenes the video will get jerky for a second or two.
So i guess then that my AthlonXP 1800+ would get a serious workout at the least, and that simultaneously watching on the server/htpc + MVP(divx) would be pushing it.
Old 01-08-2008, 10:06 AM
Sage User

DVD Menues Seem to work

Last night, sing 6.3 and a newer version of the extender I was surprised that I was able to navigate the menus on the first DVD rip I tried (Marry Poppins). I was able to select english subtitles and play the movie. I do not know if scene selection was working. The video on the main menu was choppy and may have been transcoded, but the movie played great. The MVP remote does not seem to be able to function as a DVD remote once the movie starts playing (menu button doesn't go to menu, caption button does not toggle captions). I suspect I was getting the AC3 feed as the MVP remote's mute button was not working. I am running a sempron 3000 server and windows xp home.

I am now planning on ripping my entire collection. Tiem to pick up another external drive.
Old 01-08-2008, 10:15 AM
SageTVaholic

Menu and other DVD controls need to be accessed from the options menu while playing.