SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

Old 08-26-2006, 09:12 PM
Sage User

Question Cannot get 5.1 audio to surround sound receiver

I know there are a lot of posts on this issue but I can't seem to make any headway. I need some assistance troubleshooting my setup.

My setup consists of:
- SoundMAX digital audio (onboard Intel D865PERL motherboard),
- AC3Filter or PureVideo (Platinum)
- SPDIF connector to JVC surround sound receiver

My Sage settings are:
Video/Audio:
Video Renderer : Overlay
MPEG2 Video Decoder Filter: NVIDIA Video Decoder
Audio Renderer: Default
MPEG2 Audio Decoder Filter: Default
DVD:
DVD Video Renderer : Overlay
DVD Video Decoder Filter: NVIDIA Video Decoder
DVD Audio Renderer: Default
DVD Audio Decoder Filter: Default

My MPEG2 recordings seem to work fine in terms of getting 2-channel audio to my receiver (the indicator shows linear pcm input), but I can't seem to get 5.1 audio out of the DVD videos. I've tried lots of combinations with the SoundMAX control panel and AC3Filter settings but all I get is 2-channel sound from DVD videos.

I tried once setting "SPDIF (disabled)" on AC3Filter, but Sage seemed to lock up on that so left it off... I'm also not sure what the output should be set to in AC3Filter?

Ideas?

Thanks,
Kevin
Old 08-26-2006, 09:32 PM
Sage Fanatic

I'm not positive but I think you need to change the Audio settings for DVD to AC3Filter. Also make sure that you go into Windows Media Player and in the settings there configure AC3 for DD5.1
Old 08-26-2006, 09:38 PM
SageTVaholic

ripple,

My guess is that your default audio decoder is the Purevideo decoder. Unfortunately, the purevideo audio decoder only works with Windows MCE. It is completely useless with SageTV. I haven't messed with AC3 Filter for 5.1, so I'm not sure if that will work. However if you want to be sure you are using the AC3 Filter, you should select it explicitly. To find out what your default filters are, you should download deccheck from microsoft. In my case, I ended up using the audio decoder from another MPEG2 Decoder set I had installed. I think it was the cyberlink decoder, but it's been a while. Hope this helps a little. Good luck.

Aloha,
Mike

Edit: Darn too slow.
Old 08-26-2006, 11:10 PM
Sage Icon

Mike, the Purevideo audio decoder should work with Sage (unless my system is really screwy ).

ripple. See my post in this thread, it's the 2nd post, and look at the last two paragraphs.

http://forums.freytechnologies.com/f...ad.php?t=19630

You can leave the settings in DVD for audio to either Nvidia or Default. But, the important thing, is going into Windows Media Player, and making sure that "Prefer other audio decoder" is checked, in the instructions provided in my ohter post.

You should then get your 5.1 via SPDIF.

The thing about PureVideo not working with anything but MCE, I believe, is just standard 2 channel analog audio from your sound card (such as if you were using computer speakers).
Old 08-26-2006, 11:57 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by geogecko
Mike, the Purevideo audio decoder should work with Sage (unless my system is really screwy ).

ripple. See my post in this thread, it's the 2nd post, and look at the last two paragraphs.

http://forums.freytechnologies.com/f...ad.php?t=19630

You can leave the settings in DVD for audio to either Nvidia or Default. But, the important thing, is going into Windows Media Player, and making sure that "Prefer other audio decoder" is checked, in the instructions provided in my ohter post.

You should then get your 5.1 via SPDIF.

The thing about PureVideo not working with anything but MCE, I believe, is just standard 2 channel analog audio from your sound card (such as if you were using computer speakers).
I get audio only through optical pass through when using this audio decoder. Which is okay when I want to crank up a movie, otherwise I am using Sonic's decoder for HD and SD playback through the TV (Pioneer 710HD) speakers.

B
Old 08-27-2006, 12:04 AM
Sage Icon

Yep, I think that is the restriction. The Nvidia decoder can only be used for SPDIF pass-through, at least, the lowest level decoder.
Old 08-27-2006, 12:44 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:

Oh that's right! Sorry about that. It's so easy to get details mixed up. I've never thought about it before, but there really is an amazing amount of information to keep track of to set up and keep an htpc running. Hope I didn't cause too much trouble.

Aloha,
Mike

Last edited by MeInMaui; 08-27-2006 at 09:32 AM.
Old 08-27-2006, 08:44 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Yep, I think that is the restriction. The Nvidia decoder can only be used for SPDIF pass-through, at least, the lowest level decoder.
All of them are like that.
Old 08-27-2006, 05:44 PM
Sage User

Quote:
I think I finally got the hang of setting the default audio decoder. I can switch back and forth between AC3Filter and PureVideo (verified in WMP), but I'm still only getting 2-channel output from them.

I know my setup has the potential to work because I was finally able to get 5.1 output when using PowerDVD (I assume it's using its own Cyberlink decoders).

When I set AC3Filter as default I use these settings:
AC3FILTER
========
Main:
- Ouput: 3/2+SW 5.1 Channels, PCM 16bit
- SPDIF (disabled) CHECKED
System:
- Use AC3Filter for: (all checked)
- SPDIF passthrough: (all checked)
- Prefer AC3Filter
- Use DirectSound

When I use PureVideo decoders as default:
PUREVIDEO
========
Audio:
- Audio format: Dolby Digital (shows only 2 dots on square)
- Listening mode: SPDIF
Speaker Setup:
- connected to a receiver
- via a SPDIF cable CHECKED
Advanced Settings:
- Method 1 (Data Mode SPDIF) SELECTED

Can someone verify that these settings make sense? I'm frustrated that I can get PowerDVD to send 5.1 SPDIF, but AC3Filter and PV won't...

Kevin
Old 08-27-2006, 10:48 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ripple
Can someone verify that these settings make sense? I'm frustrated that I can get PowerDVD to send 5.1 SPDIF, but AC3Filter and PV won't...

Kevin
Are you playing the DVD in Windows Media Player, with PureVideo as the DVD audio decoder?
SageTV server & client: Win 10 Pro x64, Intel DH67CF, Core i5 2405s, 8 GB ram, Intel HD 3000, 40GB SSD system, 4TB storage, 2x HD PVR component + optical audio, USB-UIRT 2 zones + remote hack, Logitech Harmony One, HDMI output to Sony receiver with native Intel bitstreaming
Old 08-28-2006, 09:48 AM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by korben_dallas
Are you playing the DVD in Windows Media Player, with PureVideo as the DVD audio decoder?
When I play it in WMP I only get 2-channel output. I can tell that PV is doing the audio since the PV icon is in the toolbar and when I open it up the dialog has the Audio tab.

I figure if I can get it to work in WMP then Sage will be okay, too - right?
Old 08-28-2006, 10:11 AM
SageTVaholic

What's it say in the audio tab when you open it up?
Old 08-28-2006, 11:43 AM
Sage Expert

You might want to try the sonic decoder, i use it for audio only:
http://www.sonic.com/products/Consum...quicklook.aspx

I couldnt get the Nvidia decoder to downmix 5.1 (which i finally figured out was because it only works with WMP, which is inexcusable really), or AC3, so i went with sonic, 15 bux was worth it.
Old 08-28-2006, 12:05 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by lobosrul
You might want to try the sonic decoder, i use it for audio only:
http://www.sonic.com/products/Consum...quicklook.aspx

I couldnt get the Nvidia decoder to downmix 5.1 (which i finally figured out was because it only works with WMP, which is inexcusable really), or AC3, so i went with sonic, 15 bux was worth it.
I think the problem above is that they want 5.1 but can't get it to play. But you're right Sonic's decoder is awesome. I use it too when I don't want to crank up the stereo.

B

On the above, make sure NVidia is set to output to a receiver via an SPDIF cable

This is under the advanced button. Also, you do not need to be playing anything to adjust audio, only video IIRC.
Old 08-28-2006, 12:08 PM
Sage Expert

bcjenkins,

I dont think any of that is relevant, nvidia audio decoders only work with WMP.
Old 08-28-2006, 12:24 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
bcjenkins,

I don't think this is true, is it? I'm using nVidia audio decoders with SageTV, as far as I know...
Old 08-28-2006, 01:05 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
bcjenkins,

Here's my limited understanding of the nvidia decoder. I am speaking from the veiwpont of someone who purchased the platinum version for no good reason.

It is true the advanced versions of the software won't decode dd5.1 or dts for anything other than MCE/WMP but will play stereo just fine. So you run into issues when trying to play dvds and HD content.

However, if all you are trying to accomplish is passing through the signal over the optical output on the MB to your receiver and let your receiver do your digital decoding, it will work fine.

Also, if you installed NVidia's decoder, then installed SageTV, your preferred decoder is most likely AC3 Filter, so it is always better to specify.

If any of this is wrong, please correct me. But unless my wife is slipping something into my water at home, I am getting DD5.1 just fine when using the NVidia decoder.

B
Old 08-28-2006, 01:11 PM
Sage Icon

LOL, that's how I understand it.
Old 08-28-2006, 02:16 PM
Sage Expert

Ah, so it will work in a pass-thru setup, my bad.
Old 08-28-2006, 02:38 PM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcjenkins
On the above, make sure NVidia is set to output to a receiver via an SPDIF cable
bcjenkins - my advanced tab looks just like your diagram

lobosrul - I can't seem to make it work in WMP either. It sounds like if I can get it to work in WMP using passthru it should work okay in Sage.

stanger89 - My PV audio tab was:
- Audio format: Dolby Digital (shows only 2 dots on square)
- Listening mode: SPDIF
Seems like I should have more than 2 dots on the Audio format diagram, but I don't see any way to change this??

geogecko - From my testing, if you are using PV audio there will be an Audio tab when you open the PV decoder properties from the toolbar (while Sage is playing a DVD). If you open the PV decoder properties from toolbar and there is no audio tab, it's using AC3Filter (or whatever...)